Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #161
shoeless
Grade 1
 
shoeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,643
When I look at a card in the racing form I will look over the races to see
which ones I want to put the most money into.I know DM has a program that will pick
out certain races he likes to play.Wondering when people here use RDSS do
they do the same.
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #162
mrhug
Grade 3
 
mrhug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryville, Tennessee
Posts: 52
Confused

I have really enjoyed this post, and as a beginner (14 months) wish we would have more like them. I really enjoy reading about the successes of other members and how they are accomplishing their success. However, it can become confusing very quickly.
DM
I have a question about how you are using NP. I see where each horse has a range posted within RDSS NP. However, are you establishing a speed rating for the current race and then comparing this rating to each horses range in NP? If so would you please explain in depth how you are doing it and if not then how exactly do you eliminate non contenders with NP.
Just trying to understand.
Thanks
Melvin
mrhug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #163
mrhug
Grade 3
 
mrhug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryville, Tennessee
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhug View Post
I have really enjoyed this post, and as a beginner (14 months) wish we would have more like them. I really enjoy reading about the successes of other members and how they are accomplishing their success. However, it can become confusing very quickly.
DM
I have a question about how you are using NP. I see where each horse has a range posted within RDSS NP. However, are you establishing a speed rating for the current race and then comparing this rating to each horses range in NP? If so would you please explain in depth how you are doing it and if not then how exactly do you eliminate non contenders with NP.
Just trying to understand.
Thanks
Melvin


I would also love to see the model you are using.

Last edited by mrhug; 02-18-2012 at 07:15 AM.
mrhug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #164
Dorianmode
always learning
 
Dorianmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minneapolis / Rancho Santa Fe
Posts: 277
2/18/12 re: use of NP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhug View Post
I have really enjoyed this post, and as a beginner (14 months) wish we would have more like them. I really enjoy reading about the successes of other members and how they are accomplishing their success. However, it can become confusing very quickly.
DM
I have a question about how you are using NP. I see where each horse has a range posted within RDSS NP. However, are you establishing a speed rating for the current race and then comparing this rating to each horses range in NP? If so would you please explain in depth how you are doing it and if not then how exactly do you eliminate non contenders with NP.
Just trying to understand.
Thanks
Melvin
I do not project a speed rating for a horse in today's race. The range you see "posted" in NP, is a calculated range using SOME of that horse's past SR's. Under some circumstances, that range can be predictive, to a certain extent. Have you watched/listened to the introductory NP videos in which Mr. Schwartz lays out his "confidence interval", for the SR "range" in NP ? The "confidence interval" that NP calculates, in general, "contains"/"projects", (statistically), to about a 90 %, ("confidence") level what an animal will do today. We have been talking about the problems of NP, and about that "other" 10% of the probability (total) spectrum, (90+10=100%). If NP drops the last 2 races, (as Schwartz says in the 5th video), then "things might have been happening", in the last two races, (which were dropped, ....by his definition), in the calculation of the NP range, that you see on the screen. That means, I have to look at each horse, and see if it has changed it's behavior in the last two races. Assuming it hasn't, the NP range can be predictive, at around the 90 % level.

BTW, I now have my own version of a "range", which calculates a slightly higher "confidence" level. It's almost the same, but instead of 90 %, (which Schwartz uses in his "confidence level), by definition, (statistically), mine is 95%, because 2 Standard Deviations, (under the "Bell Curve"..or statistically..what is called a "normal distribution"), contains within it 95% of the horse's behavior, (and mine uses all the SRs I can get, and weights them towards the recent ones).

I don't have a "magic" system by which I use NP for eliminations. I use it quickly, visually, to see the horses which could not possibly run up to par in today's race, and, ((after making sure they have not "improved" in the last two, (or whatever) races which were, by definition, dropped in the calculation of the NP range)), either toss them, or leave them in for further analysis, both by RDSS, and my own final "match up" handicapping.

I'll try to keep my eye out for an example race from today, which demonstrates how I used NP for eliminations, practically, today, and post it later today.
Dorianmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #165
mrhug
Grade 3
 
mrhug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryville, Tennessee
Posts: 52
Thanks. Still trying to get my hands around what you are saying. Any help will be appreciated.
mrhug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #166
Dave Schwartz
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 119
Quote:
BTW, I now have my own version of a "range", which calculates a slightly higher "confidence" level. It's almost the same, but instead of 90 %, (which Schwartz uses in his "confidence level), by definition, (statistically), mine is 95%, because 2 Standard Deviations, (under the "Bell Curve"..or statistically..what is called a "normal distribution"), contains within it 95% of the horse's behavior, (and mine uses all the SRs I can get, and weights them towards the recent ones).
Brilliant!


Thanks.


Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #167
barb craven
Grade 1
 
barb craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bobcaygeon,On,Canada
Posts: 1,316
Hi Shoeless You asked how RDSS users pick their race preferences for the day. RDSS2 has a filter feature that lets you get a quick look at all races playing for a particular day that you can filter down to your own preferences. It's called 'My races'. I happen to like routes with more than 8 in a field and 3+. I can quickly filter to those, look over them to see which ones are worth playing. I scan NP too, but use it more as another corollary. Hope this helps a bit.
__________________
Listen...Learn...Stay Safe.
barb craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #168
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb craven View Post
Hi Shoeless You asked how RDSS users pick their race preferences for the day. RDSS2 has a filter feature that lets you get a quick look at all races playing for a particular day that you can filter down to your own preferences. It's called 'My races'. I happen to like routes with more than 8 in a field and 3+. I can quickly filter to those, look over them to see which ones are worth playing. I scan NP too, but use it more as another corollary. Hope this helps a bit.
One caveat to this - it only looks through the race cards you have downloaded. Great if you download everything, every day, but not as useful if you pick and choose tracks, which is sort of a 'chicken and egg' scenario . Soon enough, the MyRaces filter will simply get the same info about all race cards from the RDSS server even if you haven't downloaded anything yet. Then you can download only those cards which have the types of races you want to work.

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #169
Bill V.
The egg man
 
Bill V.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carlsbad, California
Posts: 10,005
13

Hi Ted

I just hit My races and because the PA contest has so many tracks involved today, I had a bunch of tracks downloaded. I got 13 non maiden routes/ 8 or more horses races to pick from
Thats pretty neat

GS
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #170
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
I think you do pretty well at those routes, Bill. It appears there are precisely 32 of them in total today, everywhere (dirt and turf), 21 dirt/poly, 11 turf.

Go gettem'

Name:  myraces.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  94.7 KB

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 02-18-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: s/b 8+ entrants
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tentative Derby EL 2.0 Contenders, plus Reasoning Ted Craven NewPace Discussion Forum (old) 22 05-07-2011 11:34 AM
2009 BC Contenders seattlesnake Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum 8 10-28-2009 07:23 PM
Contenders and Pacelines RichieP Audio Collection 0 09-15-2009 02:25 PM
Re-projection from true contenders VoodooFan Matchup Discussion 1 06-13-2009 05:28 AM
Kentucky Derby Contenders Bob Cochran Selections 2 05-05-2009 11:25 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 PM.