Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
Houndog
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,258
No Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJennet View Post
Hi Ted,

I stand corrected. My apologies to Houndog.

Cheers,

B Jennet



Your response to the original post makes valid points also. I am trying to sort this out for myself and am trying to adopt some of these concepts in my handicapping.

I asked the author if he meant double digit odds or double digit mutuels in his article. He stated double digit odds or something close to that. For myself holding out for double digit odds would mean longer runouts which at this stage of my game I am not ready to do. Double digit mutuels seems more reasonable to me. Following is part of his article I would like to comment on. The bolded part is part of Jerod's original article.

I have a pretty strong theory of how to win at the races that has very little to do with value as it is commonly purveyed. I don’t care where the horse “should be” priced because I never bet on low-priced animals. As such, I analyze all appropriate angles, past performances, race replays, and utilize all other handicapping tools to determine the most logical winner. If that horse is less than double-digit odds, I will rarely, if ever, play that horse to win or use it as a key to vertical and horizontal wagers.

One thing that was pointed out me is you have to be careful about the "Too Good To Be True Syndrome" or "Why Am I The Lucky One"? If you are getting 10-1 and above after careful analysis of the PP's, and your other tools that you use to determine the most logical winner something might be amiss. My experience has been that horses going off at double digit odds are usually not the most logical winner and may have one or more apparent flaws as perceived by the betting public's perceptions. Bad last race; layoffs; etc.

All comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Last edited by Houndog; 01-10-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Tags
horse racing, parimutuel, reflexivity, uncertainty, wagering


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 PM.