Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Bill V.
The egg man

VDC Explanation

Hi Ted

Please help me (again)

Please explain to me for the 100 th time
what im looking at. But please when you do explain Please do not tell me the difference between Val and Spec Please pretend there never was a spec
and all you did was make Val 4 a windows program

Over all these years I never can follow you when you combine your

explanation of what the two programs are showing I just get lost.

In my screen shot I would say horse 3 is the #1 VDC horse
because it is the 0.0 horse on the new VDC colume
The the 2 horse is second by just .01 but still 2nd and the #1 horse is third with 2.0 ok
Now the little horse icons in the third panel which in Val 4 was the VDC readout
shows them in this order 2 3 and 1
and then the little ranking all the way to the right agrees with the icons but sometimes this is not the case

I know its close 0.0 to 0.1 - 2.0 should have used a bigger spread example
but Please tell me based on this screen shot and in Val 4 mode only

who is the top 3 VDC
Name:  whichis.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  143.3 KB

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by Bill V.; 08-06-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
partsnut
BetMix User

Bill V:
Quote:
who is the top 3 VDC who is the top 3 VDC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Bill,

You're astute observance and question is both interesting and well founded.

I am uninformed when it comes to the RDSS software and could most likely be wrong but on first glance, the "TS + F3 column looks to me as if it should be the adjusted V/DC number and the one to use.
Speed and the final fraction are very significant numbers in the final projected position outcome of any race.

If my thinking is not correct, please correct me.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V. View Post
Hi Ted

Please help me (again)

Please explain to me for the 100 th time
what im looking at. But please when you do explain Please do not tell me the difference between Val and Spec Please pretend there never was a spec
and all you did was make Val 4 a windows program

Over all these years I never can follow you when you combine your

explanation of what the two programs are showing I just get lost.

In my screen shot I would say horse 3 is the #1 VDC horse
because it is the 0.0 horse on the new VDC colume
The the 2 horse is second by just .01 but still 2nd and the #1 horse is third with 2.0 ok
Now the little horse icons in the third panel which in Val 4 was the VDC readout
shows them in this order 2 3 and 1
and then the little ranking all the way to the right agrees with the icons but sometimes this is not the case

I know its close 0.0 to 0.1 - 2.0 should have used a bigger spread example
but Please tell me based on this screen shot and in Val 4 mode only

who is the top 3 VDC
Attachment 23180

Thanks
Bill
Bill V,

To jump to the final question: the Top 3 VDC are 3-2-4/1 (4 and 1 tied for 3rd VDC).

Please consider the image below, showing screens from RDSS1 and RDSS2 with the VDC rank circled wherever it appears in either program. all the numbers are calculated in Val4 mode. (In RDSS2, there is no separate Layout of the Segments screen where the Val4 mode Layout looks a bit different from the Default mode Layout - its all one screen, but the numbers will be different depending on which mode the race was computed in).

As you probably know, the number showing in the VDC rank column is the better rank of either BLBL or the underlying VDC number (that's why there can be ties). Up until RDSS2 the actual VDC number has never been shown. The actual VDC number itself is irrelevant - it's a product of its formula - but what is important (and for ANY factor) is the rank, the relative magnitude compared to other horses, and the gap between numbers. RDSS2 now shows the underlying VDC calculation's relative magnitude and thus also gap everywhere the label VDC% shows (Segments screen, Primary screen). Wherever you see VDC and #, well that's how we denote rank.

So to tell the melded (and traditional) VDC rank (i.e. melded with BLBL) just look for VDC# (on the BLBL, Segments and Primary screens - in RDSS2). I'm now showing more information than was shown before in adding the VDC% number as well.

In RDSS2, the 3rd (right-most) panel in the Segments screen shows True Speed+F3, like the label says (and not VDC). In RDSS1, Val4 mode, that panel showed VDC rank and underlying VDC number relative magnitude (i.e. the relative positions of the horses). That same info is now represented in the 2 new VDC columns which you outlined in black.

So if you want to know the Computed Beaten Lengths AND the VDC rank, relative magnitude and gap, it's all there next to each other to the left of where the horse icons start. (Plus, for those who want it - and many do, TS+F3 in the right-most panel).

Let me know if you have more questions about this, or comments about the changes in the RDSS2 Segments screen.

cheers,

Ted

Name:  vdc.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  201.8 KB

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 08-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
Bill V.
The egg man

Think so

Thank You Ted

I think I have it now ..

Lets focus on the Segments screen for now
This screen is from Del Mar race 5 Sunday 8/7/1
for my daily Del Mar VDC selections. I named the top 3
VDC as 6 4 8 The 4 won and paid $13.40 The 6 is the 0.0 #1 VDC on the new ranking readout
the 8 would be second with 2.9 and the 4 would be third with 3.1
Easy top 3 VDC 6 8 4 correct
I see the horse icons and the number to the right
say 6 4 8 So these numbers are VDC+TS +3F
if so this would be big
What Im really trying to do is focus on the top 3 VDC horses
based only on the VDC so I should have listed top 3 VDC
as 6 8 4
Please advice
Thanks
Bill
Name:  got it.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  93.2 KB

Last edited by Bill V.; 08-08-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

You are correct Bill.

The VDC ranks are 6-8-4 per the VDC rank column. The panel at the far right is not VDC+True Speed+Fraction 3, but rather simply True Speed+Fraction 3 (TS+F3, per the label) - VDC is not involved.

However, related to this discussion is: the Binder Improver, named after you my friend - a notion showing up on the BL/BL screen (and now evident by VDC# colour ranking on the Segments and Primary screens). Sometimes, a VDC horse shows up with a higher rank than the corresponding BLBL rank. Since BLBL is fairly highly co-related with Total Energy, and the BLBL screen is sorted by the BLBL factor, therefore the VDC which ranks highly but out of step with BLBL must have something about it other than high Total Energy to make it rank so highly! Although not the only thing, an important and usually obvious thing is (as Partsnut wisely points out above) - strong Fraction 3, which you can prove by checking the F3 on the Velocity screen or L/ep on the Energy screen, also the magnitude and rank of the Late stick on the E/L Differential screen. Which is why you often see a strong (though not perfect) correlation between VDC and that TS+F3 panel on the Segments screen.

Although these Binder Improvers (aka VDC rank which is better than the BLBL rank) may not win at the same rate as the BLBL ranking, they should definitely be studied for finishing in-the-money and sometimes at higher odds than the often more obviously ranked BLBL.

But I know you know this and have been helping us understand this for years!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Mind the Gap

Just a follow up to point out a use of the new % differential (or gap) format of showing VDC% on the Segments and Primary screens (i.e. how much each VDC value differs from the best value).

In the above screen shot (DMR 8/7 R5), the 2nd ranked VDC differs from the 1st ranked by 2.9% (let's call it a gap of 2.9). In your opening screenshot in this thread (DMR 8/6 R1) the difference between 1st and 2nd VDC is only 0.1% (call it a gap of 0.1). Although there is a clearly ranked 2nd VDC horse in each race, the 2nd ranked VDC horse with 0.1 gap is clearly closer to the best than the 2nd VDC horse with a gap 0f 2.9 And in the first race above, the Top 2 VDC are much closer to each other (practically tied) than they are to the next 2 VDC with a gap between the 2nd and the 3rd horse of 2.2.

While surely not always significant, I would not be surprised if, long-term, those VDC #2s with smaller gaps outfinished VDC #2s with higher gaps. And VDC #3s, etc, etc

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 08-08-2011 at 08:16 AM.