Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Docs daily routine nowadays

Does someone know what Doc Sartin does everyday?

Without getting too personal with healthcare difficulties and all, what does he do, read, watch tv, listen to the radio, read the computer?

Can he recieve books, cassettes or cds? Does he have a decent staff, or will they steal most of his stuff as some of these convalescent places do?

Does he have access to a dvd player?

Does he still handicap races?

Who visits him, his son or wife?

Maybe instead of that medication, he should be sent some acai or magosteen, something thats gonna do him some real good, not that medical crap. Doesn't build or fortify anything, just keep you drugged up so you can die peacefully.

Doctors and pharmacies need permanent , life long clients.

Mu******* Doctor told my mom she needs a pace maker or she won't make it.

That was years ago, she still eating her healthfood. Still move as good as I do. Can almost outbox me, sparring. Can out sprint me for 1st 15 yds, though thats telling of my fitness. AND NO MEDICATION, not even aspirin.

Getting close to 70 and looks mid 40's. Go figure.

Place your loyalty and choice of authorities, carefully.

VoodooFan
VoodooFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
azbacks
Grade 1

VooDoo...

I agree about the med's. Big Pharma & the AMA hate natural remedies.

I hope Doc is keeping as busy as he can.

Pete
azbacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
kiltman
Grade 1

Doc Sartin

Doc Sartin lives at home with his wife Mary and his children visit often. He is not in good physical health cant go out and do alot. His mind is as sharp as ever and talking to him it is the same old Doc of 80s and 90s.
kiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #4
lsosa54
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltman View Post
Doc Sartin lives at home with his wife Mary and his children visit often. He is not in good physical health cant go out and do alot. His mind is as sharp as ever and talking to him it is the same old Doc of 80s and 90s.
Our bodies tend to melt down especially if we're lucky enough to make it to Doc's age, but I'm glad to hear his mind is as sharp as ever. I hear Doc pretty much everyday listening to and converting these old cassettes so to me, Doc is the same old Doc of the 80's and 90's. Thank you for the update.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
admin
Administrator

Happy

Ted knows best He and Doc are in touch often
When I have spoken to Doc recently He always sounds very sharp and
he makes me laugh. He mentions Mary Jr and Shane
It does not taake long for him to start talking about stuff that I have no idea what he is saying , His mind is so sharp and He is into what we do
I have to go back and read stuff to try and understand what
we talked about He is an amazing man

Bill
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I wouldn't say 'often', but I've had several conversations with Howard this year, the last one on Derby Day. Bill and Russ are right: he lives at home, the same place he and Mary have lived forever, in the hills above Banning, California. And Shane and Mary Jr visit regularly along with other extended family. There's nothing wrong with Doc's mind - he told me he's in perfect health - 'from the neck up'. His body however is wearing out.

I kidded him about whether he gets down to the El Rancho restaurant from time to time (site of some early Beaumont seminrs) and he said he can't eat that kind of stuff anymore. I get the idea he only leaves home for medical appointments. But he seems well connected to his cirlce of family and friends. The last day I called him he had Glenn Miller's Orchestra blaring in the background and had to turn it down. He regretted he could no longer play his grand piano due to limited use of his one hand, but clearly music is still a great passion.

I never detected any vetting of his outside communication - his wife Mary may tell callers if he's tired or asleep, but he generally has answered or returned my calls himself.

His mailing address is no secret, and has been posted here in the Hat Check Forum by Jim Bradshaw for some time: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2543

He does receive mail from lots of folks and is happy to hear from anyone. He has a DVD player and a great sound system and watched the RDSS seminar videos I sent him. I'm trying to get him to join our Saratoga gathering - by phone for a short while!

He is as strongly opinionated and plain-speaking as ever, which has intimidated me sometimes over the past few years, since I never really knew him well back in the day, but he has always been generous with me and I am so glad to have made this connection with him, better late than never.

He is indeed proud of the efforts by Bill here to carry on the Methodology and provide a gathering place, by Richie to continue Jim Bradshaw's teachings, and of our other software efforts.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Thanks for the update. Thats good to hear Doc can get around a little bit, if nothing but in his house, and maybe do a thing or two.

VoodooFan
VoodooFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

It would be really great if Doc could join us here. I realize he does not have use of both hands (to type)...but he can still speak, and as it was mentioned, Doc's mind is as sharp as ever.

I sure would like to hear some current words of wisdom and thoughts from the Doc about handicapping, e.g. all-weather surfaces, and a few thoughts in other areas.

Since he can't type, but his voice can be recorded, an audio file from Doc sent to Bill and uploaded to this site would surely be great!

Maybe someone can arrange for this (that is, if he is up to it)?

Regards,

Jon

Last edited by Jonathan Steele; 05-29-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Jonathan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
admin
Administrator

bein's believin'

Ted
I really got a big smile on this darn tired face I am winning. Its a new charge to work with Rich's minds eye lessons,with a bit of RDSS software So many of our group are making positive energy feelings to Doc' He see's the work and passion
You and Rich can deny it but you make it happen and my dream to continue the feelingof the methodology is alive.
As I keep trying to tell you
bein's believin'

Thanks for the great report
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I mentioned to Howard about joining us by phone at Saratoga in August - not a seminar, god no, just a howdy and best wishes. My conversations with him have been sort of rambles (or else business) and only incidentally snippets of handicapping talk - and it's kind of hard to imagine editing a conversation recording (if he would agree to such a thing) into something other than evesdropping.

I have the feeling he just wants to relax at this stage of life, not continue teaching. He has certainly not been involved in racing or handicapping for a number of years now, though he certainly remembers all the ideas and concepts he ever developed, and all the people he ever worked with.

Let's see what happens. Or, just write him and ask...

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote