Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2018, 11:22 PM   #1
mick
Abiding Student
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Nashville/Whitefish
Posts: 714
Terminology - Overlays vs Underlays

I've always found the terms "overlay" and "underlay" interesting. In our pari-mutuel world of American betting, they are somewhat obscure. If we were in Great Britain or even New Jersey, with bookmakers or betting exchanges, however, the terms would be easier to understand.

Assume we are at Ascot and a bookmaker's line is 5-1 on Tennessee Stud. In other words, he's offering or "laying" out those odds to all takers. Further assume that I think 5-1 on Tennessee Stud is a good bet. (Of course, with that name, I'm somewhat prejudiced.) So, I "take" the bet at 5-1. Thus the terms "laying" and "taking" a bet. It's another way of saying offering and accepting a proposition.

Viewed monetarily, the bookmaker is willing to risk 5 of his dollars for 1 of mine that the horse loses. On the flip side, I'm willing to risk 1 of my dollars for 5 of his that the horse wins.

And that brings us to the terms "overlay" and "underlay." If I think the horse's fair odds are 3-1, then the bookmaker's odds are OVER my estimation. So, Tennessee Stud is an overlay at 5-1.

If instead the bookmaker's odds on the horse are 2-1, that would be UNDER my estimation of fair odds and Tennessee Stud would be an "underlay."

And yes, there was a Tennessee Stud according to Johnny Cash, although I doubt he raced at Ascot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_X_SWuwM7k
__________________
mick

Illustrated Glossary

Last edited by mick; 06-15-2018 at 11:39 PM.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible Value Plays (Overlays) 02-03-12 partsnut Selections 4 02-04-2012 04:15 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.