Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #41
alydar_ David
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWearner View Post
Hi David,

I have a quick question for clarification. If today's distance is 6.0F, and you are looking for the first line at the same distance with no trouble, wouldn't that put you on the next line up - August 12th? They are actually very close anyway and show the same running style.

L.A.S.T. is truly and effective paceline selection method and is very quick...kind of like speed reading when you get used to it.

(NW
NW,

The idea is to see how the horse performs off a layoff. So, the race I chose was the first off a layoff (the same situation he's facing today).

It doesn't have to be the same exact distance, only the same distance type (i.e., sprints for sprints).

In a related vein, if a young horse is facing its first layoff ever, I'll use it's foray into the world of racing as the paceline (in general) as opposed to using his last paceline.

For example, if I had to play this race at HAW tomorrow I'd pick the race of 5Jun07 for the paceline.
Attached Images
 
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #42
fasthorses
Grade 3
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Pressers?

Hi David,

Somehow this thread escaped my notice till this evening.

I've never used Synergism and I'm confused on one issue. None of the readouts used in the example races show a Presser (P), only E, EP,S,SP. Your illustrations speak of designating all horses either early or late with examples of Early for E & EP and Late for S & SP. Could you please help me understand what happened to or what happens with the pressers?

Thanks for the assistance.
fasthorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #43
fasthorses
Grade 3
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Thank you.

David,

I meant to include a "thank you" in my last post for the important lessons you shared. Sorry for the oversight. I greatly appreciate the education.
fasthorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:49 AM   #44
alydar_ David
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasthorses View Post
Hi David,

Somehow this thread escaped my notice till this evening.

I've never used Synergism and I'm confused on one issue. None of the readouts used in the example races show a Presser (P), only E, EP,S,SP. Your illustrations speak of designating all horses either early or late with examples of Early for E & EP and Late for S & SP. Could you please help me understand what happened to or what happens with the pressers?

Thanks for the assistance.
Hello fasthorses,

Thanks for the kind words in your other post.

Your "Presser" question is indeed a good one and I was hoping I could skate around it. Hehe.

I was endeavoring to keep this as simple as possible which is why I didn't bring it up. So, what do you do with a presser?

If you're not comfortable *forcing* him into an early or late designation then put him in both. Make him both early and late.

If his early rating is the better than the early horses, I'll use him.

If his late rating is better than the late horses, I'll use him.

Sometimes I'll use him as a third horse if the odds warrant such action.

I don't have any hard and fast rules about this.

If you're smart enough and observant enough to note there weren't any pressers mentioned, then you're most likely skilled enough to come up with something that feels right for you.
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 AM   #45
fasthorses
Grade 3
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Thanks for the reply. It makes a lot of sense.
fasthorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When they get NO style points tompkins Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum 0 01-12-2007 01:40 PM
Today's contest race/ Syn4/old school style RichieP Velocity Programs 18 03-26-2006 07:44 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48 PM.