Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion Phase III/MPH, Synergism, Energy, Kgen, Entropy, Thoromation, Phase I, Quad-Rater, PaceLauncher, Synthesis, Validator, Val4, Speculator, etc ...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2026, 12:52 PM   #21
shoeless
Grade 1
 
shoeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,640
Mike

Thank you very much for sharing the study you did.

As a person who is not good with numbers what is your
conclusion with this.

Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2026, 12:54 PM   #22
shoeless
Grade 1
 
shoeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,640
Dan, LT1, and Pianoman


Thanks for your replies, I for one like the story's you guys have
of the old days, I wasn't around at that time.

Last edited by shoeless; 07-09-2026 at 12:56 PM.
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2026, 01:49 PM   #23
DanBoals
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
Hello Jeff & Dan and to others. I think the Pace Line manual and also Pizzolla LASST are good places to start. Yes, Pizzolla took his methods from Sartin. No problem as if you read the foreword he wrote it. If you read a couple of pages later, Sartin stressed intuition. The manual and tapes were for those of us where the paceline(s) didn’t jump off the page.
Hey Eric

I agree with you and "intuition". I think that is what LT1 is saying as well. Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book called "Blink" where he talks about first impressions and snap judgments. I think his conclusion seems to be that if you have a ton of experience and knowledge, then you should trust your first instinct or gut impression. He used the fake statue at the Getty museum as an example, where lots of art history people just said it is wrong. Their 30 and 40 and sometimes 50 years of experience did not tell them what was wrong, but they just "knew" it was wrong.

I think people who handicap for decades, get that same level of instinct on what line is the correct or most telling to use. I don't have that for pacelines, but I do have it for horses at times, where I look at the history of the horse and I am just like, this isn't right, this horse is dangerous in spite of low numbers and low rankings. Obviously, you want to see recent ability at this track, surface and distance, but sometimes the big odds are when you do not.

I don't do a lot of summer racing. I am playing around with Saratoga right now, but not having a lot of success. Normally I avoid summer racing because there are too many tracks running and therefore smaller fields and smaller mutuels and since I am a longshot player, that hurts my bottom line. Also, my health tends to be a lot worse during the summer due to the heat. Hopefully when it cools a bit, we can meet up at Atlantis if you are still okay with that. Maybe for Keeneland or early fall racing. Glad to see you following the topic, hope you are doing well.
DanBoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2026, 05:18 PM   #24
MJS6916
Grade 1
 
MJS6916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post
Mike

Thank you very much for sharing the study you did.

As a person who is not good with numbers what is your
conclusion with this.

Jeff
Jeff,

I'll just stick to BL/BL for this answer.

For the higher BL/BL scores, I would look for a vulnerable
first or second public betting choice to exploit.

Let's say even if the post time favorite is #1 BL/BL
if there are more than 1 other runners within 1 point of
him/her, I'd be interested in seeing if there's another
significant point which can be made against that top BL/BL /
post time favorite which says this one might be a weaker prospect
than they look to the public.

For longshots, say 8/1 or higher I would prefer
their scores be within 1 point under the 50% column
or better.

From memory it seems many of those longshots who win or complete
exactas meet that standard, but I can't say I did a study on that.

Hope that helps.

Mike
__________________
just keeping my trajectory in the positive

http://sartinmethodology.com/pubs/RD...d_Glossary.pdf
MJS6916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2026, 12:30 PM   #25
shoeless
Grade 1
 
shoeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,640
Thanks, Mike, for your reply it helps

Dan nice reply as well


Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2026, 12:31 PM   #26
shoeless
Grade 1
 
shoeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,640
It's nice to see a thread where everyone gets along with each
other and making good posts

Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2026, 01:18 PM   #27
pianoman
AlwNW3X
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 44
I should have mentioned the Match Up manual as well. Bradshaw in the manual was much more strict than Sartin in what constitutes a + race. He stated the horse had to finish 1st or 2nd or within 2 3/4 lengths. Since I've retired, I now have time to review my work. I've come to the conclusion that Trackmaster pp's don't work for myself. Like what Dan stated about the Greek statue in Blink, I've always had a nagging feeling something was not right. The DRF and Trackmaster are like apples and oranges. No use in attempting to make them compatible. What may work for RDDS and the other Sartin based software programs is not the same for the DOS programs. Yes, I know there is an export function in RDDS but without viewing the DRF to see what actually is the best of last three it doesn't usually selecting that paceline. Since I live in Reno I get free pp's. I'm using Thoromation 2A and I'm feeling much more comfortable in my results. I'm receiving the results Sartin promised - 70% win wager two horses with Thoromation. Like what Lt1 ends his posts with - Trust but verify,
pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2026, 03:18 PM   #28
shoeless
Grade 1
 
shoeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,640
Pianoman


Great to hear that you're getting good results with Thoromation and
and posting about the Match-UP manual.

Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2026, 12:10 PM   #29
shoeless
Grade 1
 
shoeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,640
Ray,

I have not heard from you hope that you and your wife
are doing ok.

Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2026, 11:53 AM   #30
raceman5
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Largo Fl.
Posts: 2,363
Pace Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
I should have mentioned the Match Up manual as well. Bradshaw in the manual was much more strict than Sartin in what constitutes a + race. He stated the horse had to finish 1st or 2nd or within 2 3/4 lengths. Since I've retired, I now have time to review my work. I've come to the conclusion that Trackmaster pp's don't work for myself. Like what Dan stated about the Greek statue in Blink, I've always had a nagging feeling something was not right. The DRF and Trackmaster are like apples and oranges. No use in attempting to make them compatible. What may work for RDDS and the other Sartin based software programs is not the same for the DOS programs. Yes, I know there is an export function in RDDS but without viewing the DRF to see what actually is the best of last three it doesn't usually selecting that paceline. Since I live in Reno I get free pp's. I'm using Thoromation 2A and I'm feeling much more comfortable in my results. I'm receiving the results Sartin promised - 70% win wager two horses with Thoromation. Like what Lt1 ends his posts with - Trust but verify,
So when you use the DRF to pick your pacelines how do u go about choosing your pacelines
raceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paceline Selection - some observation Jeebs Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) 16 04-04-2017 04:19 PM
Question on Paceline Selection - DMR0828 R2 kpmats10 Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) 5 09-09-2016 08:29 AM
Paceline Selection Ted Craven RDSS 4 01-27-2011 01:41 PM
Paceline Selection Strategies Ted Craven RDSS 5 09-30-2010 01:48 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 PM.