Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Races of Interest
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Races of Interest *Detailed* Discussion of Races – Screen shots, decisions, post-mortems

Old 03-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
sureshotlink
Grade 1

Socal bugboy

For all those that follow the current santa anita meet you are in for a treat.Bugboy Eswan flores is one of the best young jockeys i have seen in a looong time.This kid has nerves of steel..Reminds me a little of the legendary lafitt picay jr.Today's 7th race on a muddy track convince me of that.

www.calracing.com for the replay!

By the way the horse #3 bryan daniel was rank V/D 2 AT 8-1

Success to All!!

Sureshotlink
sureshotlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
lsosa54
Grade 1

An apprentice riding at a 16% win rate is very solid in Socal. Only had 3 contenders but Bryan Daniel had my top late rating.

Eswan paid a ridiculous mutuel yesterday on Senor Rain, who was also a tie for best late. In the last 60 days, he had been 4-5 with trainer Peter Miller. Yesterday made it 5-6. Very solid supporting factor.

Senor was also the only entry with 2 wins and got in the race via an $80K claiming price. 3yo claiming prices are maintained artificially high to protect the owner and in my 23 years playing SoCal, I've seen very few 3 yo claims at that price.

Last edited by lsosa54; 03-17-2012 at 09:40 PM.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
sureshotlink
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsosa54 View Post
An apprentice riding at a 16% win rate is very solid in Socal. Only had 3 contenders but Bryan Daniel had my top late rating.

Eswan paid a ridiculous mutuel yesterday on Senor Rain, who was also a tie for best late. In the last 60 days, he had been 4-5 with trainer Peter Miller. Yesterday made it 5-6. Very solid supporting factor.

Senor was also the only entry with 2 wins and got in the race via an $80K claiming price. 3yo claiming prices are maintained artificially high to protect the owner and in my 23 years playing SoCal, I've seen very few 3 yo claims at that price.
Lsosa54,

I was very surprised the public let senor rain go off at high odds and pay 44.80..this horse had every handicapping angle you could imagine.Mainstream or other.And you are correct i dont think i have ever seen 3yo claim at that price.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
lsosa54
Grade 1

Nice article on Eswan here:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul...ockey-20110701

Young man worked hard while still in high school until the end of last year.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
lsosa54
Grade 1

The two largest claims of the meet so far have been for $62.5K, one by McAnally off Baffert and one by Blincoe off Diodoro, but they were both 5 year olds. I think it's crazy because you have to be so sure they are going to be able to win enough future purse money to cover the training costs plus the purchase price.

BTW, Eswan said that Brigand tried to bite Senor Rain as he passed him which made him move a little quicker. Consulado, pushed by Brigand, went 44.4 to the half, which is fairly quick for 7F, so it set up nicely for Senor Rain to press and go by.

Miller is not opposed to heading for the Derby preps if Senor Rain continues to show improvement. I think he's getting a little carried away - the horse was a $40K maiden claimer.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
sureshotlink
Grade 1

Quote:
The two largest claims of the meet so far have been for $62.5K, one by McAnally off Baffert and one by Blincoe off Diodoro, but they were both 5 year olds. I think it's crazy because you have to be so sure they are going to be able to win enough future purse money to cover the training costs plus the purchase price.

BTW, Eswan said that Brigand tried to bite Senor Rain as he passed him which made him move a little quicker. Consulado, pushed by Brigand, went 44.4 to the half, which is fairly quick for 7F, so it set up nicely for Senor Rain to press and go by.

Miller is not opposed to heading for the Derby preps if Senor Rain continues to show improvement. I think he's getting a little carried away - the horse was a $40K maiden claimer.
The match up in that race set-up well for senor rain.Had top LPR.Not sure if improving or flattered by fairly quick incremental velocity of that race.

How would you have liked to put in a claim for charasmatic for $ 62,500?
Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
lsosa54
Grade 1

Come on now, you just reminded me one of the best horses in for a claim I've seen in my racing lifetime make the big time. I guess John Henry being bought for $25K is still the most unbelievable one, although that was before my time.

Did you know Charismatic was up for $62.5K as recently as 3 months before the Derby? His owner owned Foothill Beverage, one of the largest Budweiser distributors at the time. Must have had a few too many Buds. Imagine how many he would have had had Charismatic been claimed?!

I was in the winner's circle at Santa Anita with Pincay and at Hollywood with P Val in the early 90's and that was a thrill. Friends of mine owned some cheap claimers.

I could only imagine what the winners circle in the Derby might be like!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
sureshotlink
Grade 1

Quote:
Come on now, you just reminded me one of the best horses in for a claim I've seen in my racing lifetime make the big time. I guess John Henry being bought for $25K is still the most unbelievable one, although that was before my time.

Did you know Charismatic was up for $62.5K as recently as 3 months before the Derby? His owner owned Foothill Beverage, one of the largest Budweiser distributors at the time. Must have had a few too many Buds. Imagine how many he would have had had Charismatic been claimed?!

I was in the winner's circle at Santa Anita with Pincay and at Hollywood with P Val in the early 90's and that was a thrill. Friends of mine owned some cheap claimers.

I could only imagine what the winners circle in the Derby might be like!
I was going into my 2nd year with the Sartin Methodology in 1999 when charismatic lite up the tote board in kentucky.I could not believe my eyes when i worked the race the day before and synthesis had charismatic ranked number#1 on bl/bl.I remember calling the office and speaking to howard and asked if i had used the right paceline to analyze.He replied what do you think?...LOL then ended the conversation...Good ol days!!