Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
JeffH
AlwNW3X
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 33
First Day Using Software

I spent about 8 hours working with the program Sunday (first day of using it). There were a ton of low priced winners that day. I read about hiding horses in Bill V's post and the followups. For winners, I am considering using 5 contenders with the bl/bl. If 1 of my top horses is less than 5-2, I will hide it and move my 6th pick into the bl/bl. If my top 2 are less than 5-2, I will pass the race. Is this a "good" approach? I think I'm doing ok with paceline selection. Here is a breakdown of my first day:

35 Races handicapped

1st tier winners 10, 2nd tier winners 10, 3rd tier winners 5, 4th tier winners 3

5th tier winners 5, non contender winners 2

Any feedback is appreciated!
JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man
 
Bill V.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carlsbad, California
Posts: 10,005
Skill

Hi Jeff

That sounds like a great example of waggercapping at its finest
100% class A work

If I am reading your study work up correct.
I need to ask some further questions
You bet or tracked 35 races
hid any horse that was 5/2 or under and passed the race if
there were 2 hide horses.

Thats great --- Perfect if you want to follow Doc's guidelines
to the T>>>

If what i'm reading is correct Your greatest talent must be to pick races
with false favorites

If you bet /tracked 35 races and hid any horse that had odds under 5/2

with these results

1st tier winners 10, 2nd tier winners 10, 3rd tier winners 5, 4th tier winners 3

5th tier winners 5, non contender winners 2

that means in 35 races there were no winners that paid 5/2 or less!

That fact is the amazing point and that you found this group of 35 races is the news

Good Skill
Bill VV.

Last edited by Bill V.; 08-23-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
JeffH
AlwNW3X
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 33
I need to clarify some things. I tracked the races. I want to get used to the software before investing money. The contenders came from my paceline selection. I did not hide any of the horses in the breakdown, just saying that was my plan in the future. Almost all of the tier 1 horses that won would have been hidden-a lot of $4 and $5 horses yesterday. Hopefully, I can get the same results hiding horses under 5-2. In a nutshell, I was just looking for some feedback to see if I was selecting the proper pacelines based on my breakdown (because I was using this for the first time and want to be on the right track); and to see if the strategy I mentioned was a "good" one for future use. Sorry for the confusion. One question I have is, should I move my 6th contender to the 5th tier when hiding a horse, or just leave it? Everything I've read from the Followups says to make most of your selections from the top 3 tiers, betting the 4th or 5th only if they are high odds and show "something" in the collaries.

Last edited by JeffH; 08-23-2010 at 12:38 PM.
JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
BJennet
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 311
Win ratio strangely familiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
I spent about 8 hours working with the program Sunday (first day of using it). There were a ton of low priced winners that day. I read about hiding horses in Bill V's post and the followups. For winners, I am considering using 5 contenders with the bl/bl. If 1 of my top horses is less than 5-2, I will hide it and move my 6th pick into the bl/bl. If my top 2 are less than 5-2, I will pass the race. Is this a "good" approach? I think I'm doing ok with paceline selection. Here is a breakdown of my first day:

35 Races handicapped

1st tier winners 10, 2nd tier winners 10, 3rd tier winners 5, 4th tier winners 3

5th tier winners 5, non contender winners 2

Any feedback is appreciated!
Hi Jeff,

This is kind of a delayed response, but I was blown away by the distribution of wins by BL/BL -eerily close to the proportions of win ratio I found when investigating TE. Your ratio for the top 3 was 10,10,5, 3 and according to the long-term averages I found for TE ranks, it would have been 13,9,5,3. It's incredible how homogenous these results are. And BTW, congratulations on being so proficient with the methodology on your first day. As far as odds go, that is the tough part of the game. My experience has been that about 2/3 of races are unplayable for this reason. You really need to be patient. Best of luck.

Cheers,

B. Jennet
BJennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
One question I have is, should I move my 6th contender to the 5th tier when hiding a horse, or just leave it?
Re the above......I recommend that you DO NOT move the 6th contender to the
5th tier when hiding a horse. The horse that is hidden is being ignored for betting purposes only. It is not being eliminated from the race for it is still a viable contender. I recall that the Follow-up only mentions, "hide the low odds favorite" but I never read that you should replace the hidden horse with the 6th contender which is really a" throw out"
horse.

I think you are right on the money with the Sartin Methodology.

Ernie
SilentRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
JeffH
AlwNW3X
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 33
Thanks for the feedback! Since first posting my comments, I have made progress in both the usage of the software; and paceline selection. I am currently building a bankroll to make "real" bets. I will run these bets through 10/ 20 race sessions. Only then will I know for sure if I understand the methodology. I will keep everybody posted on my results.
JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Screen Capture Software SilentRun RDSS 5 04-13-2010 08:47 AM
RDSS Subscription / Forum Re-organization Ted Craven RDSS 1 03-07-2009 01:35 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.