Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 01-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Buzz
AlwNW3X

Smile RDSS and RS-Pos

Hi,

For those that are interested in discovering a rational that describes the inner workings of a matchup process I have attached several posts that seem to contribute to that understanding. All of the material seems to be based on or has evolved from the works of Jim Cramer. (Near as I can tell.)

I found the information both interesting and informative and it has contributed to a rational that I can use to reason with while working through a Matchup process.

Some of the material is repetitious and says the same things in different words and while I found it helpful you may already have sufficient understanding and want to pass over it.

1) http://www.rspos.com/rspos_desc.html

This is the first article that I found. It gives a history and development of the RS-Pos (tm) method of handicapping. The article is well written and gives: A) a macro view of the process B) a micro view of the process C) a rational for the process.

2) http://www.rspos.com/rsposintro.html

This article provides a summary of the article above and is a good review.

3) http://www.joe-takach.com/GP-10/GP-1...-14/gp-15.html

This is an article in which Gordon Pine comments on the use of the Start call while handicapping.

4) http://www.netcapper.com/TrackTracts...e/TT011019.htm

This is another article by Gordon Pine discussing maiden races.

5) http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/a...hp/t-5903.html

This is a discussion from the PA Board concerning RS-Pos.

6) http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=15368

This is another discussion on the PA board concerning RS-Pos.

Hope you find this information useful.

Continued Success!

Buzz
Old 01-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
sdahl
Grade 3

Thanks Buzz. I find this very informative.

Stan
Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
socantra
Grade 1

Many thanks for the reasearch, Buzz. There are a couple of those I'd missed in the past and I'm remedying that now.

It's very different from Bradshaw's running style designations, but it is the only one I've ever seen that can be applied mechanically (by a computer). BRiS/TSN running styles do more harm than good.

I do have some problem with ranking the horse by his farthest back running style, rather than indicating a two-dimensional style, but maybe that is made up for in part by the speed ranking system.

For those who have The NEW Pace Makes The Race (the '95 paperback), Tom Hambleton has an "Advanced Procedures" chapter near the back of the book where he talks about integrating the RS-POS procedure with the TPRs. Maybe we could get Ted to take a look and see if he thinks there might be something useful there for a future RDSS feature (hint, hint).

Dick..
Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Buzz
AlwNW3X

Thumbs up RDSS Matchup and RS-Pos

Hi Stan, Dick,

Thanks for the feedback.

I gathered this information to try and answer the questions that I brought up in the Hat forum. And while there are differences between the Hat method and Jim Crammer's method of matching up a race I am looking at their commonality to find my answers.

What I am discovering is that the matchup process is a dynamic process and by its nature has a lot of interrelated facets to track and understand before I can reach a conclusion. Over looking or misapplying one or more of the facets can lead to a faulty outcome.

Jimmy B. has developed a high level of intuition and uses it to reach a conclusion while Jim C. has a mechanical list of steps that often lead to the same conclusion.

For example JC will list out and rank horses by running style E1, E2 EP1, P1, P2 etc. JB uses Early and Other than Early. Both styles complement each other and are effective.

Since it is the handicapper's responsibility to find his or her own individual solutions it is nice to have two points of departure to refer to.

Regarding TPR's...that is a little too advanced for me. I tried using them when I had Synergism and just could not get to being profitable using TPR's. But that is just me. I read Schmidt's book but just got more confused. <G>

I would like to see Ted add the ranking numbers to the style designations. So I could keep track of how all the styles compare to each other in the matchup. This would give me more confidence when it comes time to throw out horses. E/OTE. Sometimes you can get into a speed of the speed scenario and miss it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Continues Success!

Buzz
Old 01-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
socantra
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I would like to see Ted add the ranking numbers to the style designations. So I could keep track of how all the styles compare to each other in the matchup. This would give me more confidence when it comes time to throw out horses. E/OTE. Sometimes you can get into a speed of the speed scenario and miss it.
I agree. It would be interesting to see. From what I read in the "Advanced Procedures" chapter, it looks like it should be a fairly simple, straightforward procedure to blend it in with the TPRs that are already in the program. The problem that I see for Ted is a logistical one. We've already got the energy distribution running style designations and you can enter your own visual perception running style. Just how many different types of running style designations can you cram into one program?

Dick....