|
|
|
|
|||||||
| Google Site Search | Get RDSSGet RDSS | Sartin Library | RDSS FAQs | Conduct | Register | Site FAQ | Members List | Today's Posts | Search |
| Selections Post Your Picks - 1 race or a card |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
|
#1 |
|
Grade 1
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: The Villages, Fl.
Posts: 3,872
|
Today's picks, Derby Day.
Many challenging races fraught with many unknown factors. In addition to rust I love a challenge.
FWIW 2nd 8-5-9-2 3rd 13-6-214 4th 1-4-6 5th 6-10-1-5 6th 2-4-6-3 7th 8-2-5-4 late to this do to other commitments, therefore no explanations or comments. I'll try to get more up however priority is betting and getting more done. Definitely will post Derby picks. Mitch44 |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Grade 1
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: The Villages, Fl.
Posts: 3,872
|
I passed the 1st and got shut out putting up this post. Would have lost, that was lucky, must be my day.
Mitch44. |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Grade 1
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: The Villages, Fl.
Posts: 3,872
|
7th # 8 Scr. new order 4-2-5-7
8th 6-9-8-4 9th 4-8-6-12 10th 6-4-7-10 11th 4-7-6-5 Mitch 44 |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Grade 1
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 117
|
Honest question here.
Does anyone ever narrow it down to one or two actual plays before the race, or is the approach mostly listing multiple contenders and then reviewing the winner afterward? I understand throwing up contenders, especially on busy days, but that only shows part of the process. The part most people are trying to learn is how you go from that list to an actual wager. What’s the decision before the race? Which horse or combination is the play? Just trying to understand what the takeaway is for someone looking to improve. Tom |
|
|
|
|
|
#5 | |
|
Grade 1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 441
|
Quote:
in the top 2 picks, and they could be going as deep as all listed contenders in the horizontals. Win and place wagers may be dependent on price. Most days I wouldn't expect anyone to give away their exact plays beforehand since most pools don't compare to the size of today's at Churchill. Mike
__________________
just keeping my trajectory in the positive http://sartinmethodology.com/pubs/RD...d_Glossary.pdf |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 | |
|
Grade 1
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 117
|
Quote:
The issue, at least from my perspective, isn’t what might be going on behind the scenes. It’s that none of that is actually visible beforehand. If the approach is keying top picks, spreading in horizontals, and adjusting based on price, that’s exactly the kind of thing people would benefit from seeing in real time. Otherwise it just looks like a list of contenders before the race and a winning result afterward, without showing how one turned into the other. I understand people may not want to give away exact plays, but even a simplified version of the wager structure before the race would go a long way in making it more understandable and useful. Tom |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
Grade 1
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: The Villages, Fl.
Posts: 3,872
|
12th Ky. Derby
Unlike recent years where the obvious best couple horses towered over the field, this year is full of good horses and like 3 year old's many in here are rounding into form so many unknown factors today. Best course of action is to go for a price. Normal numbers etc. I have this 15-18-1-19 for the life of me , I can't believe the # 15 is 15-1 & with such a tough field will probably go higher. Unknown factors follow, your choice: 2 Has improved w/ each race, top unk.30-1 4 Throw out last Baffert & 50-1 B on 17% 7 Foreign 20-1 8 3 pars won 3 of 4 top? 15-1 10 Foreign 30-1 w/o over track 11. On improve, increasing SR, won 3 of 4 routes. 20-1 12. B on 22% Mott 8-1 14. 3.5 pars, no slouch, Baffert 20-1 15. 4 pars , 2 for 3 for Brown 15-1 16. 4 pars, plus 6 SR 30-1 18. + 13 SR, 3 pars 6-1 19. B improvement (1) trainer 29% w/ repeaters where norm is about 17%, w 3of 4 routes. 30-1 which is crazy, good jock & trainer combination B improvement (1) expect more improvement. Don't take a short price. I'm alive with Oaks & Derby DD Best of luck on a real challenging card. Mitch 44 |
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
Grade 1
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: The Villages, Fl.
Posts: 3,872
|
The way I list them is how I see. I may move a horse down a position or two to take advantage of odds unless it just overwhelm the field. In the case of race 6 & 10 I left it first because they just towered over the field. Thy were key horses for me to find some money w/ a DD etc.
Mitch 44 |
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Grade 1
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: The Villages, Fl.
Posts: 3,872
|
Based on your handicapping once you have worked a race then design a bet to maximize & take advantage of that . You'll be amazed how many good price horses there are in the program's top 3. Generally player are scared of odds. If you don't make the bet you can't reap the rewards. Once I land on a horse I bet it regardless of odds. 50 0r 70-1 I still bet it.
Mitch44 |
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
Grade 1
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 117
|
I think the disconnect here is pretty simple.
Most of the discussion is around contenders and rankings, which is helpful, but the part I’ve been trying to understand is the actual decision before the race. How those contenders turn into a specific wager. That’s the piece that’s hard to see beforehand and hard to learn from afterward. Just trying to understand that step better. Tom |
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Country House shocker... | CheckMark | General Discussion | 1 | 05-08-2019 09:56 AM |
| Todays Speculative Picks 09-16-18 | partsnut | Selections | 9 | 09-17-2018 06:11 PM |
| Dissecting the Kentucky Derby paceline | lone speed | Matchup Discussion | 6 | 07-31-2013 02:17 PM |
| RDSS & Kentucky Derby | Ted Craven | RDSS | 0 | 04-29-2010 07:22 AM |
| Jim Bradshaw's 5 Step Approach to learning the Matchup | RichieP | Hat Check - How Can We Help You? | 1 | 05-25-2009 09:52 AM |
|