Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS - 'Learn to Win' *TEACHING & Examples > 2012 RDSS Learn to Win Contests > October Contest
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

October Contest Enter your selections and SCREEN SHOTS and explanations here. Please start a new Thread with your User Name as Title

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Ted Craven - October

My approach:

I'll try to pick races where at least 7 runners start. I use the Paceline Selection tool for a first crack at line selection, then carefully review EVERY horse for current form and whether the paceline selected makes sense. Horses with lines ranking well on Total Energy or BL/BL but who have NOT shown contentious running in the past few races in their current cycle (i.e. since last layoff break) are marked as either Secondary or Non Contenders.

I eliminate from the bottom up of the BL/BL readout until I reach 4 or 5 horses who ALL could win the race. Generally speaking, if a favourite below 2-1 ranks on top by 2+ BL points, I may single it. Greater than 2-1 or closely followed by another horse >= 4-1 I will bet both. A horse < 2-1 or so who is not on Top of my BLBL can be omitted in favour of the Top ranked horse and another horse in the top 3 BLBL.

A horse going at ~ 8-1+ is bet Win-Place.

I am only entering races in this Contest which I also bet with real dollars. I typically bet Win and Win-Place plus Exactas. An omitted favourite (per above) which ranks well on BLBL usually is included in an Exacta Box. Of the Top 4 ranked horses, I will try to include the counter-energy horse who is not otherwise bet to Win.

I will try to elaborate on any wager decision reasoning which goes either counter to my above guidelines, or is more nuanced than I could describe. (And sometimes I just goof and make erratic decisions ...)

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 10-22-2012 at 01:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
PRX October 21

Race 2
$50 Win 6
$25 WP 2
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
PRX October 21

Race 2
$50 Win 6
$25 WP 2
Loss.

Name:  prx1021-2.png
Views: 3262
Size:  66.2 KB

Name:  prx1021-2r.png
Views: 3289
Size:  14.9 KB
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 10-21-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
PRX Race3
$50 Win 3-6
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
PRX Race3
$50 Win 3-6

Loss.


Name:  prx1021-3.png
Views: 3304
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  prx1021-3r.png
Views: 3245
Size:  15.7 KB
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
PRX Race4
$50 Win 6-7
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
KEE Race 9
$50 Win 2-5
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
KEE Race 9
$50 Win 2-5
Loss.

Name:  KEE1021-9.png
Views: 3202
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  kee1021-9r.png
Views: 3229
Size:  15.4 KB
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
Bill V.
The egg man
 
Bill V.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carlsbad, California
Posts: 10,005
Thoughts

Hi Ted

2 points or questions

First do you think my readouts are so different than yours
only because I have not changed any settings and I use Val 4 mode
Or is it the fact that your rating every horse but spliting them to win and
ITM groups, were as I only am only rating your 5 win contenders

Seconly your thoughts on using such a poor pace line for horse 9 ?

Name:  Basic.PNG
Views: 3262
Size:  50.5 KB

horse 9 line 1 ?

Name:  nine horse.PNG
Views: 3136
Size:  130.2 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Bill,

I believe the difference in our rankings, using the same lines, is due to Val4 mode versus Default mode, yes, and perhaps the DTV settings. Here are my Config settings. It goes around and it comes around - on the long term, I am happy with the effect of the adjustments, and with Default mode. Val4 mode (and/or your DTV Min/Max settings) triumphed in this race!

Name:  config.png
Views: 2527
Size:  32.8 KB

When I removed the Secondary Contenders completely, there was no change (whew!) which is how it is supposed to be (i.e. Primary group is ranked independently).

Name:  KEE1021-9.no2ndaries.png
Views: 2484
Size:  52.0 KB

Re #9 Gruenewald - I looked several times at this horse. There were only 2 line choices for this horse in today's 6f poly sprint: line 1 or line 5. Line 5 makes it look worse (worse Perceptor). In its last race, it had a steady gain of both position and beaten lengths from the get go, beating well more than half the field. It's 83 SR was the same as its last sprint (line 5) so not aberrant. It was not a Win contender, but I had it underneath in an exacta (5-2 / 5-2-11-9). It did finish a strong 3rd and was the most Late on the E/L graph, hence my main counter-energy horse.

Name:  KEE1021-9#9.png
Views: 2454
Size:  186.2 KB

If a horse ranks in the Top 5 Total Energy and Primary Line Score, I have come to be forgiving of 'apparently' poor finishes if they showed some serious effort. There were plenty of other horses in that race who just showed nothing in their current form cycle, and were relegated to either Secondary or Non-contenders.

Anyway, that was my reasoning for using that last line for the #9. Comments?

I wish I had the #3 ranked higher Hope you had it!

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 10-21-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speed and Pace Symposium - Las Vegas October 18-20 Ted Craven General Discussion 6 10-08-2012 10:25 AM
Saturday, October 4 alydar_ David Selections 54 10-05-2008 07:22 AM
Friday, October 3 alydar_ David Selections 19 10-04-2008 02:09 AM
Matchup Webinar - Saturday October 18th 2008 RichieP Matchup Discussion 31 08-08-2008 07:56 AM
Introducing Ted Craven Jonathan Steele General Discussion 12 07-25-2008 02:00 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 PM.