Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 04-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Newbie saying hello

Hi everyone

I am new here and could use a little prodding on which way to go, I have been on only a few other boards, PA, DerbyTrail, and HSH board.

Please let me know where I should go to read, and study, and I will explain what I am looking for as that may help you to show me where to go.

I drive all day long, and right now I have Dick Mitchell's 12 pack of DVD's to listen all day long, over and over and over, but to me it seems Dick uses everyone elses idea's, well maybe he may have a few original, but all thru-out the dvd's he refer's to Quinn and Cramer ,Quirin, and even Sartin once or twice, and I think he deliberately left out Beyer, oh well. But back to my situation, you know how there are Book's on Tape/CD's and then DVD's as a way to learn , well if there are anything like that here it would be perfect for me, otherwise I amy be forced to listen to Howard Stern, instead of Sartin, please do not let that happen to me, thank you.

I thank you all for the privilege of letting me join your board.

Patrick

Last edited by RichieP; 04-30-2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Edited out negative energy
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
jms62
Grade 1

You've come to the right place.. My start was with Brohammers book and I am a user and a lover of Spec160 along with some homegrown stuff. RDSS has replaced SPec160 but it has a Spec160 mode... Ted Craven in the RDSS session is the RDSS guru.. Additionally some folks follow the matchup which was created by the late Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw... Richie is the guru in that area... Good luck
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Welcome Patrick,

You are well know to some of us, from your posts at PaceAdvantage! Though I hadn't yet communicated with you there, I have read many of the conversations and see clearly your desire and passion for racing AND winning (and some do not possess both). From everything I've assimilated from what Doc ever said, passion and honesty to look at yourself and at what works (and thus what doesn't) is what it takes for success (and not only in racing).

I think you have access to the Pace and Cap Sartin Library. In there you will find many, many audios of Sartin seminars past which you can download and burn to CD or MP3, however you like to listen. (I think our fearless leader, Bill V, himself a truck driver, does this quite often during the day - when he's not handicapping and posting while holding the wheel between his knees ). In the Library also are all the issues of he Follow Up Journal of the Sartin Methodology, documenting Docs whole odyssey from 25 years ago to when he stopped in 2001. I'd recommend starting with Issue #70 and slowly working your way forward to gain concept. Some of the portrayals of software have aged, and software has updated to the modern era, but concept is important, concept on analysing contenders, on deciding wagers, on developing the crucial positive self-image and mental skills to win at pari-mutuel risk-taking.

I know you know a lot about this, from other points of view, but you could possibly consider, if you want, your time spent here as a sort of experiment in whether a blinkered approach utilizing Sartin's concepts, tools, software etc can get you closer to your goals. If not, after asking for all possible assistance, and after doing all possible work on your own - if you find it has not been worthwhile, then judge it accordingly, but hopefully take with you good friendships made and perhaps a few useful lessons.

I would urge you to challenge any and all understandings (your own, and others here) - get folks to help you understand what they understand. Put up a 1000 races (if you have to) and ask how someone else would have analysed then wagered it (or passed it). At least, don't walk away without every attempt to get inside the minds of those who, by their writing, their records, or their 'vibe' appear to you to be winners - both financially and mentally/emotionally/spiritually.

Very best wishes!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
JimG
Grade 1

Hi Patrick,

I have followed your exploits on various boards and have no doubt you have NOW landed in the right place. Sartin Methodology takes pace handicapping to a whole new level. Take your time and I have no doubt you will come to appreciate the information that our leader Bill has put together along with many members of this board.

What you will NOT find here is information on connections (trainer/jockey). What you will find here is what you need to succeed. A good foundation in pace methods that will work with patience and practice.

You will also find some of the nicest people on a horse racing board right here. With few exceptions egos are kept in check , and there is an overall helpful spirit here.

Read and study the follow ups, listen to tapes, search this board, then ask questions about anything that needs clarification. Best of luck and welcome to the board.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
Tim Y
turf historian

If you learn to use the methodology to the extent of deep understanding (via LOTS of practice) you will have made a quantum leap (like I did years ago) over EVERYONE stuck in their archaic way of analysis.

IT is the HORSE and how he runs and projects today vs. today's field that matters. All the rest is noise.

FORGET any steadfast rules and LET THE PROGRAM dictate your choices. Put in MORE than a single line or a horse to negate sample error. Forget any man made limit to beaten lengths as many an improving horse is hidden by using that arcane 7.5 beaten lengths rule.

Last edited by Tim Y; 04-30-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Houndog
Grade 1

Welcome Patrick

Patrick I have also read many of your posts on the PA and HSH board as well. Ted has given you some excellent advice on how to get up to speed with the Sartin Methodology.

The only thing I have to add is that we have people here that have expertise in the many Sartin programs that have been released through the years. I am probably going to miss a few people here and don't want to put anyone on the spot but in no particular order listed our the programs and people that know the programs quite well.

RDSS- Ted Craven; Richie; Bill (Binder)
Spec160 - Tim Y
Validator - Bill (Binder)

We also have people that use the older manual entry Energy/THOROMATION programs as well as the Synergism programs II-III-IV.

Good Luck in your quest and welcome aboard.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Thank you all

I will look into the library, and into Verizon wireless about downloads, as unbeknownst to me their unlimited downloads are not unlimitied, and they have throttled my speed before becuase I di not not this, and decide to watch movies from Netflix and after halve the first movie I was over the limit, but all that means is that I find a wireless hotspot and download from there.

I do not , no ,I have not used an MP3 before, but have a CD player in my truck and a portable DVD player too, and my very very fragile laptop, what would be the best way to start listening to things from the library, as I mentioned , actually reading will be harder, as I need glassess now , and I am still coming to terms with that, but think I got it under control, but still only have one pair of reading glassess, which are conviently lost or left behind, but that will be taken care of soon when I buy a dozen pair from Wal-mart and put them all over the place, and also carry one with me at all times, 1 step at a time.

Again thanks for the welcome.

Patrick

PS: Who wins the Derby? # 6 #13 #16 #10 #11
To me it is wide open, just curious?
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
Bill V.
The egg man

Vz

Hello sir

I hope you can get up and running I thank Ted for the nice words
about my use of the program while I'm on the road
I use a VZ Access air card from Verizon. It works real well
almost 100% able to connect and stay conected
I pay a flat fee, about $39 a month With my air card
I can do races and play the mp3 files in the library
on my Laptop It works. Just as you know tie that baby down
as sudden stops will send the labtop flying

Wishing you the best and welcome to a friendly place
Read - Learn - Win - have fun - Enjoy life
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Houndog
Grade 1

MP3 Files

Patrick I would venture a guess that MP3's will not play on your truck's cd player unless you have the newer model cd players that can play MP3's as well.

Your portable DVD player may be a possibility since some can play MP3's.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
shoeless
Grade 1

otherwise I amy be forced to listen to Howard Stern, instead of Sartin, please do not let that happen to me, thank you.

I will tell you one thing Stern is a hell of alot funnier.
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote