Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 08-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HAT View Post

This is a very difficult question for me to answer, because I’m not sure of the meaning of form and condition . If a hors’s last couple of running line is horrible, I’m not sure is he is out of form, or
just a "ugly" horse.

I never second guess my self of running line I have selected. If the horse does not run to this line,
or I lose the race, then and only then, do I question the line I have selected. In reality I pick the
horse and not a running line.

Jim

Primary "INTUITION" got #6 Kim's Gold, not math, jockeys, a paceline, variants, rails in or out, trainer stats, sire ratings, tote action, leg wraps, blinkers, dosage, you name it...,

Lets Get-The-Horse, "First"....,

"EARLY" or "OTHER-THAN-EARLY"

VoodooFan
VoodooFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Positions, Beaten Lengths & Match Up lengths

Quote:

A horse feels comfortable in a certain position. Always look and find the position where a horse does his best.

The Hat

Quote:

Balancing Position Call With Beaten Lengths

Balancing position call with beaten lengths is not really that difficult, but is
an important phase of understanding The Match Up.

Quote:

Remember, it takes one unit of energy to gain position and one unit of energy to gain beaten lengths

The Hat

Quote:

First I will establish the pace of today’s Race:

Today’s Projected Pace is: Pace: 22 .2 45.2 110.3

Quote:

Here is my analysis of the race:

The 1 horse is one fifth of a second slower than today’s pace and will lose positions and beaten lengths, he is eliminated.

#1 - http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...52&postcount=6

Quote:

The 9 horse will gain one position from fourth to third, but using his beaten lengths he will be third at the second call and his final time is slower than today’s pace, out he goes.
#9- http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=14

Quote:

The 6 horse is an outstanding horse, his position will change from fourth to third and with no other horse in front of him he will gain position and beaten lengths and will take the lead at the second call, because his second call is faster than today’s projected pace. Santa Anita is about two fifths of a second faster than Belmont, and after adding the five beaten lengths to the 108.3 he runs a 109.3. I add a couple of fifths to this time for track to track, which makes it 110. He is an Early Presser and will destroy this field.

#6- http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=11

VoodooFan

Last edited by VoodooFan; 08-02-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post

Now we have to look at that early grouping we have to look closely and ask
1) Is there ONE horse that DOMINATES here??

Early or O.T.E.??

Quote:

Early or O.T.E.??
Quote:

Early or O.T.E.??

Quote:

By assuming the presence of a FAST O.T.E. horse coming from that group when it is examined SEPARATELY as its own race 2 very good things happen:

1) Your Mind's Eye gives you immediate feedback on the real strength of that early group winner when you "ask the question" E or O.T.E.

Watch this now:
2) When you move to the O.T.E. group and it turns out there are NO fast horses who also Power Move the Early group winner is YOUR HORSE. Bet his ass if the price is right for you! THIS race is going early.

3) Use the number of early runners in the early grouping to help you get started where to look positionally for the O.T.E. winner to come from at the FIRST CALL.

3 earlies in the early group start looking around for the fast O.T.E. guys with strong showings from around 4th POSITION at the first call.

4 earlies in the early group start looking around for fast O.T.E. guys from around 5th POSITION at the first call.

Pretty cool to focus on one thing (early grouping for ex) and all of a sudden realize that something else is also being answered for you(where to begin your "HUNT" for the O.T.E guy) at the same time man!

How the heck do you think the man with the Big Stetson did the stuff he did so FAST! Maybe just maybe he heard answers to questions he hadn't even asked yet.

THIS is Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw Voodoo and now YOU can start working this.I am VERY serious.

Quote:

Early or O.T.E.??

Quote:

Early or O.T.E.??

Quote:

Early or O.T.E.??

Bears repeating

Last edited by VoodooFan; 08-02-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Let's start with NEED-TO-LEAD horse:

Quote:

ONE horse that DOMINATES
Quote:

ONE horse that DOMINATES
Quote:

ONE horse that DOMINATES
Quote:

ONE horse that DOMINATES

Seen this a few times.

A NEED-TO-LEAD horse whether he is GOOD or BAD, B-U-T, has NO fractional or positional challengers or equals at the 1st call....,

........ there are NO positions to count, because he DOMINATES , EXCLUSIVELY, that 1st call....,

.............. and there are NO 2nd/3rd position horses with equal or faster pace of race at 1st call and 2nd call.....,

.........and there are NO FASTEST PACE LAST RACE Early or O-T-E...,

.........and there are NO 4th and further who has powermoves, powerline, faster pace of race fractions because they are simply TOO FAR BACK....,

........an "ugly" NEED-TO-LEAD horse that is deteriorating can still win the race, especially when he normally holds the lead until the stretch before he coughs up a liver.

********* Remember this horse? *********

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=19

Compared to the "others" there ARE no OTHER POSITIONS to count, although he is a pretty "ugly", deteriorating Early, knee-jerk is to throw him out and look for OTHER-THAN-EARLY....., there is NONE, position-wise or otherwise.

Look at that = Minds Eye = on this Early horse, 3rd line.

Looking for n-i-i-i-i-c-c-c-e looking, pretty, formful pace lines or do we DO what is instructed :

Quote:

ONE horse that DOMINATES

Back to the basics, man..., be honest, we forget and usually throw him out, if not, you're keeping true and retaining the basics.

I did not because I keep forgetting.

Looks like I have to do like some holy men in isolated Temples and repeat and chant over and over and over again for hours and days or weeks until its "1st-sight"/ "2nd nature".......,

......or sound like Rain Man, repeating over and over, like Turrets syndrome..,

VoodooFan
Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #15
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:

In reality I pick the horse and not a running line.

Jim
Quote:

Jim
Quote:

Jim
Quote:

Jim

Bears repeating.

Let's put our Stetsons on and get to that "HAT" zone, its a nice place to be.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
RichieP
Grade 1

Hi guys
This forum was asked to be created by Charlie D and others to keep a line open for those who like to "match" horses.

From the posts in this forum by folks it is apparent that there are MANY different forms/methods/procedures to accomplish this "matching". It is as it should be in my opine and it's all good!

The "Hat Check" forum is the way that Jim taught ME and he was first to admit that he taught his students differently after speaking with them to determine their strengths/weaknesses. THAT way is the focus of that forum and those that are interested can study there at their convenience.

THIS forum has taken on the life of something kinda nice (I.M.H.O) in that there is a broad scope of different ideas etc all leading to the end result - WHO IS THE BET (S)

I like the fact that virtually all the time a winner is had that the winning capper has taken the time (both before and after) the race runs to give a bit of EXPLANATION as to the thought and decision making process. This goes for those using software as a tool and raw by the pps only stuff. It is ALL GOOD man

BTW feel free to post up races when you see one that you like. Just get the full pps up with screenshots (or links to the race pps) for ALL to be able to see, access and work (whether they post or not your time taken to do this helps EVERYONE and Jim would like that VERY much!)

Good matching!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #17
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

hi guys

thread voodoofan.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #18
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:

Your statement is absolutely true. I do not use any of the traditional handicapping procedures you mentioned. If fact, I do not know to use some of these procedures. The other day I was working a race with Rich, that I had won. Rich came up with the same horse and later noticed
we had used a running line from 2004.

All I want to know is how the horse is going to perform in today’s match up. In order to do this it is best to concentrate on the running lines of all horses in the race and ignore all procedures
used by the traditional handicapper.

The Hat
Quote:

So in reality I’m picking horse’s running styles and then find running lines that will make the horse the winner.

The Hat
Quote:

A horse feels comfortable in a certain position. Always look and find the position where a horse does his best.

The Hat
Quote:

To determine running styles look at all of the races in the past performance and find were the horse runs his best. Always start with the first call to determine the running style. This procedure will assist in deciding how the race will run.
Quote:

I usually label running style Early. or other than Early and use positions to
determine where the horse will be in a race.

The Hat
Quote:

........determining that the race would run Other Than Early is the key in winning the race. Next find the fastest Other Than Early horse, never rely on one running line to find this horse.
Quote:

To understand the Match Up, it is essential that you learn to identify running styles and learn to match these running styles. Once this has been accomplished it is possible to decide what is going to happen in today's race.
Quote:
Sure, there are times when a horse may "wake up", and run better than he has ever run.

A horse may take the lead that has never showed that he wants the lead.

This is an out of the blue behavior that can happen in horse racing, and will rarely be influenced by the trainer, jockey, or the track.

In establishing the true contenders, and proper paceline, you need to make a complete analysis of all horses past performances.

-----Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw
Quote:
We are looking for reliable runners, horses that consistently run Early, Presser, Sustained.

Quote:

Competitive yes, able to win, no. I am looking for winners not competitors.
A theme here.

It is probably so simple, that one may ask why even bring it up.

But I believe it is that that separates the professional and consistant winners from others.

It is something most talented handicappers do, but have yet to CLEARLY and SOLELY explain it as a concept within and by itself.

You'll here them mention it in their analysis and explanation here and there, but it is usually accompanied with some OTHER handicapping principal in such that the "other" principle, rule or factor completely OVERSHADOWS its subtle, yet simple and powerful guideline.

I believe if one can train ones self with either conscious drills or as a method/guideline in and of itself, that one can develop that elusive CONSISTENCY of winning , day in, day out, it can manifest....., that it can take one from where one is to levels that may have never been achieved or imagined, or at least, get one out of the hole of stagnation in improving and getting better, faster.

An example:

Horse A: Ten running lines, 4 of them on the lead at the 1st call.

Horse B: Ten running lines, only 1 of them on the lead at the 1st call.

Horse C. Ten running lines, only 1 of them 2nd by 2 lengths at the 1st call and only 1 of them 2nd by a head at the 1st call.

9 out of 10 times, Horse A: will get the lead.

9 out of 10 times, Horse B: will be nowhere near the lead, let alone battle for it or get.

9 out of 10 times, Horse C. will not be 2nd, and even much far less likely to battle the lead horse.

A horse that shows 1's, 2's and 3's in 9 past performance lines , and only shows (1) from 5th..., the chance of this horse running 5th today if the race calls for a horse from this position is remote, not impossible, but remote.

I don't know of a drill to get the habit of this, let the "HAT" quotes be your guide.

Quote:
Sure, there are times when a horse may "wake up", and run better than he has ever run.

A horse may take the lead that has never showed that he wants the lead.

This is an out of the blue behavior that can happen in horse racing, and will rarely be influenced by the trainer, jockey, or the track.

In establishing the true contenders, and proper paceline, you need to make a complete analysis of all horses past performances.

Quote:
We are looking for reliable runners, horses that consistently run Early, Presser, Sustained.

Quote:

Competitive yes, able to win, no. I am looking for winners not competitors.

VoodooFan

p.s. maybe a drill similar to this one for all style horses, not just Early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post

Mike, If you havent done so already on one of the seminar tapes that was done in Las Vegas Gary Owens gives a good presentation of this.I believe Tom was at another seminar that Gary was at so he could probably explain it.

Last edited by VoodooFan; 08-05-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:
The "Hat's" matchup is NOT
projecting pace
running styles
spot plays
etc.etc.

HIS matchup is all about the MIND and RECALLING patterns/races that have run before.
------RichieP

Quote:
I NEED to start emphasizing and showing you races and "setups" where INTUITION and/or FEEL is the key element to winning the race. This is also going to leave us wide open to looking really foolish sometimes when things do not pan out like we envision
------RichieP

Quote:
For any of the folks who are having any difficulties with understanding the Matchup a la Jim Bradshaw and would like to hear it expressed in a slightly different way by another person, I would encourage them to go to Club Pace and Cap and check out the audios from the Las Vegas 91 seminar. Canadian teaching member Gary Owens does an excellent job explaining and illustrating what he learned directly from Mr. Bradshaw. Tapes 4-3 thru 5-2.
------RichieP

Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw himself :

http://www.sartinmethodology.com/lib...191Tape9_2.mp3

VoodooFan
Old 08-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #20
dlivery
Grade 1

Those tapes certainly refresh what we have to do to matchup our winners.

Thanks for the refresher where to start as I have them in my Library from the past and can now refresh my memory a little as this seems to help alot

Thanks

Dlivery