Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 03-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
stormbringer
Grade 1

Grass Races

Could one of you PROS help me with GRASS RACES.
ON the BL/BL screen what are the best things to look at .TT, LP, TOT DCL

Does anybody mind pointing me in the right way.

thanks
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

Turf

Here is my blue print
It probably has flaws. but here is what I look for in Turf races

On Turf I look for
As usual use += plus pace lines
Look at the horses total past performance and see how it runs in + races
look at the TPR screen and look for good LPR ratings in those + race

When I pick contenders that have a good + race and a competitve
speed figure or CPR in a recent ( about) 90 days I enter those lines

Now I look at the top VDC horses I look for the best
*LPR
*Total Energy
* Hidden Energy
*Total Speed
*Total Pace Potential
*Deceleration
*Total + F3 - 3rd fraction
*If the race is for older horses
all of which have many turf lines
look at APV and Class

Doing this will get you very good contenders

Bill V
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
stormbringer
Grade 1

THANK YOU BILL V!!
do you know if doc talked about grass races in the fu?
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Matt D.
AlwNW1X

Question for bill on his post

Bill:

For + you mean a turf race right? I think you are leading the previous poster on a good route. The other thing to look at in turf racing is horses who can't get through. This is sort of a lesson from your trip handicappers. But after the race is done, sit back and watch the back of the pack of a turf race. You will see horses that tried to make a move, couldn't or were blocked.

Matt D.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
CEW
Grade 1

Turf

Stormbringer -

There are a bunch of grass race examples throughout the Follow Ups. I can dig out some and give you some references - too late tonight though (!).

But check out the audio tapes (on the main screen - "Audio Collection") from the Las Vegas seminar in 1992. Marion Jones gives 2 or 3 different talks on those tapes, one of which he delves into turf racing.

Sustained pace is usually king on the turf, but not always. Winners on the inner turf at Saratoga are frequently on the lead. I was up there the last week of July and got home a wire to wire horse on the inner turf at a whopping mile and a half.(Saffron Hall in the 3rd on July 25th.) Paid 12 bucks and change.

I'll see if I can get some articles for you to check out over the weekend.

Regards,

Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Matt D.
AlwNW1X

Sustained Pace

Is sustained pace displayed any where in the RDSS system?

I could not find it and I am new to RDSS.

Matt
Old 08-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Matt D.
AlwNW1X

Follow ups

If you know where any of the turf seminars or information is on the follow ups can you please send me a link?

Matt D.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
CEW
Grade 1

Turf

Storm & Matt:

I found 2 articles on turf handicapping in 2 of the older Follow Ups. There are more, I'm sure, but these 2 are good:

Follow Up 27: Page 42

This is an article by Marion Jones. He's the same guy that discusses turf racing on the '92 Vegas tapes (see post above). These are old examples, but the only thing that has changed since then is your handicapping program.

Those tapes from Vegas are really good and worth listening to. Howard talks in depth about the creation of the Method, as well as what it takes to be a consistent winner.

Follow Up 11: Page 75

This is a "Problem Race" feature written by Doc Sartin himself. He knocks down a $75 horse in this race. Again its old, but it still applies.

Get with Bill V. to get the equivalent readout in RDSS that is sustained pace. He has already listed the main factors he uses to analyze a turf race in a post above.

Regards,

Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
Mark
Grade 1

toward the late 90's The Hat commented that turf racing was changing because tracks all over the country were carding much cheaper turf races. The old #1 SP horse or best final fraction horse was not winning with the same frequency. And that is exactly my point. If you immediately assume that Sustained horses or final fraction horses are going to win the turf races then you do yourself a big disservice. Many price horses are Early, Early Presser or Presser in running style and get the lead today and wire the field.
Unlike dirt racing, speed has great pari mutual value on the turf. I have a race from yesterday that I will post as soon as I can remember how to do that.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Mark
Grade 1

Here's the chart and my primary handicapping screen. This is not a huge payer but it is so obvious that the #2 horse is so much better than anything in the field Early and the supposed class horses will all be chasing her and therefore out of position.[ATTACH]Name:  9.9.9turf.PNG
Views: 289
Size:  260.8 KB[/ATTACH].

If you make assumptions that all turf races are going to run Sustained you miss many good prices on fairly obvious horses. Handicap the race, set how it sets up pacewise before you jump to conclusions.
Attached Images

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote