Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
lenabugg
AlwNW2X

I'll keep all in mine and keep on trucking Thank you all
lenabugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
mildeu
AlwNW3X

Derby

Reference post by Alyar David

How would have Golden Soul fit, if adjusted for 5w & 8w?
Especially being in the 4 slot Revolutionary in the 3 slot for the KD.

And how do we accomplish/ address this in RDSS?

Last edited by mildeu; 05-09-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add line
mildeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildeu View Post
Reference post by Alyar David

How would have Golden Soul fit, if adjusted for 5w & 8w?
Especially being in the 4 slot Revolutionary in the 3 slot for the KD.

And how do we accomplish/ address this in RDSS?
For the Derby we had everything -- just about every product you can buy and some you can't. Nothing pointed to a clear winner. And my friend who is an owner and physicality expert was at the track. He couldn't tell either.

In the Sartin programs there is no adjustment for running wide. They do in The Sheets, but not in Thorograph. CJ's program makes note of the bias, but not of running wide.

I don't have the other materials as I tossed them after a couple of days, but I do still have this. You can see how Golden Soul compared to Orb:

Name:  golden soul.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  8.1 KB

Name:  orb.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  10.0 KB

Note, with all the expensive material we had at our disposal we still got creamed betting wise.

However, this race was a different story. Look how good she looks here:

Name:  julia.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  9.9 KB

Compare that to Orb above. Julia looks like a world beater, right?

What you can't see is that ran somelike like a -7 on Thorograph and figured to bounce to the moon. We had that race with the $70+ winner, the exacta and tri....although we gave it all back Derby day. LOL

The point is there's nothing that's going to win all the time. Don't beat yourself up about one race or going wide. In fact I'm reminded of seeing Angel Cordero Jr. at Saratoga. If the track was fast and firm and he was on the lead and went four wide there was a good reason for it. Cordero was a master of knowing where the "money slot" was. T-graph wouldn't give him extra credit for that. The Sheets would and they'd be wrong.

RDSS is in the upper tier of handicapping products, in my opinion. If you stick with it and use your head you'll be a winner.
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
mildeu
AlwNW3X

Kderby

Thank you for your prompt reply and explanations.
I do realize that we may find a program somewhere that might get the
exatas, trifectas and maybe even a superfecta once in a while, thus creating a short term system.
I am using RDSS and having a bit of fun........However
I did not bet THE $70.00 winner...Too good to be true?
An ADD prblem I think...DOI

Anyway thanks.
mildeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
lenabugg
AlwNW2X

I UNDERSTAND tHANK yOU
lenabugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
Dorianmode
always learning

Kentucky.Derby.5.4.13

Orb was one of my last 4 contenders, CD.5.4.13
A dutched wager on these 4 was > 100% return.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dorianmode; 05-10-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Dorianmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
lone speed
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorianmode View Post
Orb was one of my last 4 contenders, CD.5.4.13
A dutched wager on these 4 was > 100% return.

Dorianmode,

Congratulations on getting Orb in the mix of strong contenders. You were one of the very few who had Ord ranked favorably. ( I like to give props to Atkinsrr who also questioned Ord's second paceline back as a legitimate contender and Bill Lyster, who pointed out that Orb overcame a powerful pace and that Orb had some strong pace fractions.)

Most software programs did not favor Orb. The one software which favored Orb strongly was Michael Pizzolla's software but the man himself went with another contender. (Vyjack?? not sure)

Key Thorograph followers strongly went with Orb as he was one of two contenders who had strong numbers (negative 2) 2nd paceline back. In fact, one of the key owners of Falling Sky was cheering so loudly for Orb as he crossed the finish line much to the chagrin of other owners around him. The owner had placed a futures bet on Orb months ago and posted this info publicly.

Dorianmode,

Can you do a small favor?? Would you post the same readout above but with Golden Soul's 5th paceline back. ( maiden victory at CD )

The adjusted screen: Where is Golden Soul ranked on FX rankings.. I am sure that the paceline is sustained..

Thanks in advance..
lone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
Dorianmode
always learning

Golden Soul's maiden win 5 back was a significant late pace performance. However it was not repeated agiain in the next 4 races. But they also were not at Churchill Downs. In any case, even going back that far, it doesn't look so good.

I have found that EPR is a significant predictor in dirt routes ... and Ted had the brilliant suggestion that it probably has to do with the position of the horse on the 2nd call.

Attached Images

Dorianmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #19
JimG
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone speed View Post

The one software which favored Orb strongly was Michael Pizzolla's software but the man himself went with another contender. (Vyjack?? not sure)
Yes and No. I read that post on Pace Advantage as well. Using Michael's older program, Master Magician, Orb was ranked on top if you sorted the horses by PBS rating. Out of the box, Orb was not ranked high as Michael recommends sorting by PPF in Master Magician in route races.

Michael uses BLAM and while he made a recreational bet on the race, did not recommend betting serious money on it as BLAM saw the race wide open.

Suffice it to say, even given his relative short price, Orb was not an easy find using most commercial software products. While a wonderful race to watch, the Derby is just one race in a day/week/month/year filled with opportunity.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
zimal2
AlwNW1X

Derby postmortem

No one mentions that 3 yr olds are capable of significant improvent that is difficult to predict with Rdss and most programs. We can assume I suppose that all horses entered in the Derby are fit and ready but that doesn't allow us to know who likes the surface, pace pressure, etc. Vyjack was a popular selection and a contender for many at least for a piece. Who predicted he would push the pace?
zimal2 is offline   Reply With Quote