Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
lenabugg
AlwNW2X

RDSS is like 'spin the bottle' ??!

I tested all of the settings with RDSS2 and not one had the winner of the KD 11th race .please talk to me.someone I have not had any luck with the software.I read and read and it's like playing spin the bottle to get a good pick????????
lenabugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

Let it go

I would suggest to just let the derby go
Do not place so much on the win or loss of 1 race,

The Sartin Methodology is great
This is not the first nor the last time when some people
will get the winner and some won't even using the same program

Plain and simple if you use the FLA Derby line its not going to rate as well as line 2. If you alter the plan just to say "I had a $12.00 winner "
well that is not what we want to see in this teaching area.

I suggest after a 20 race cycle of using the guidelines
presented in the teaching area.
I'm positive you will get a $12.00 winner in the cycle to replace what you lost in the derby ,If you follow the guidelines

Hope to hear a good report
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
sureshotlink
Grade 1

Great point

If we are to put as much emphasize into the day 2 day bread and butter claiming races as we do the derby we will all get closer to becoming consistent winners. That's what we all should thrive for instead of ONE race bragging rights!

Success to all,
sureshotlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
atkinsrr
Grade 1

Great point ...selecting a P/L such as ORBS line 2 in the derby comes from years of P/L selecting and sometime "gut feeling" just as I did....also I remember my well learned lesson from last year when I didn't have IHA...."Doc" mentioned in a follow up that when handicapping the Derby ALL G-1 winners from a major prep must be considered...I know it's only one race...but with the betting pools involved you can make a lifetime score from hitting the derby. example on April 25th at KEE I bet the late pic 3 which involved the G-3 Bewitch Stakes (races 6-7-8) race 6 $7.80 race 7 $26.00 race 8 $ 38.00...I was blown away when I saw the .50 p3 payoff...only $237.00...then I want back and looked at the pool total..there was only $46,000 in the entire pool no wonder it didn't pay anything...maybe I'm wrong but big stakes days are very important when the pools are swelled with uninformed bettors who love to bet favs...I know I spent too much time on the derby...about 8 hours from monday thru thursday..but I'll do the same when breeders cup gets here..thats how I got Fort Larned beating Game On Dude last year in the classic ....just my opinion wish everyone good luck on Preakness Day
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Lenabugg replied by email to the webmaster:

Quote:
Thank You , I did a rerun with RDSS-2.6 and did last race to vdc and not one had the winner.point being as you said you did 8hrs.and the software didn't even put you in the ball park

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 05-07-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Discussion moved from the Teaching Forum
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Houndog
Grade 1

Kentucky Derby RDSS

I can name other programs that did not have the Kentucky Derby also. Check the Pace Advantage board. I haven't done so yet but I will run the Kentucky Derby only using 9 furlong lines for the contenders through ENERGY/THOROMATION using the #2 adjust that equalizes TOTAL ENERGY. I think (not sure) that the flag will come up to use the #2 adjust. It may have Orb or it may not.

I will not use Orb's 8.5 furlong Fountain of Youth or any pacelines less than 9 furlongs. Some of us here are familiar with the Energy/THOROMATION programs and we know that it makes it adjustments based on the horses and pacelines entered. This is a different concept than what Validator/SPECULATOR/RDSS uses to make adjustments.

This does not mean one program is better than another. RDSS will get horses that ENERGY/THOROMATION misses and vice versa. For myself I will run the older programs on occasion but entering multiple pacelines for multiple horses manually takes alot of time and prone to human error.

RDSS is a solid program and one race should not determine the value for this program or any other quality program out there.

Good Skill To All! ----- Houndog
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
atkinsrr
Grade 1

running multiple pace lines on multiple horses does take time...but I think that it can be time well spent..if you determined to have the winner and WANT TO DO THE WORK.
I think most of our past programs will not have ORB in the top 5...Synthesis on ATM did not, but when I switched it to RAW it moved him into contention...that's when I got the idea to try Line 2....but comparing all the programs over the years RDSS is the one that has helped me rise to another level...like I said before I only use Synthesis for Derby week but I use RDSS to confirm ...and in the summer at MTH park if you wager on turf sprints you need a hand entry program because that track will not give proper pacelines on about distances...and DRF Trackmaster or Eqi-base doesn't ask MTH park to give correct interior fractions...
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Bill V.
The egg man

Don't shoot the messenger

Hello Houndog

Here is the race in plain old Energy
I used the same pace lines as I did the morning of the Derby
and posted down in the Classic programs area
Orb was not within 5 of the top horses on TPR so I did not run it in Thoromation on Saturday.

Here are those same lines in Energy
No orb to be found.. Once again following the instructions for the program
Orb just does not rate
Yes the 2 adjust red flag warning comes up So these readouts are for the 2 adjust

Name:  EnergyGen.PNG
Views: 655
Size:  29.5 KB
Name:  Screen 1.PNG
Views: 686
Size:  25.1 KB
Name:  Screen 2.PNG
Views: 657
Size:  48.1 KB
Name:  screen 3.PNG
Views: 671
Size:  23.0 KB
Name:  Screen 4.PNG
Views: 661
Size:  27.7 KB

Last edited by Bill V.; 05-08-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Houndog
Grade 1

Thanks Bill V

Thanks Bill for the screenshots. As I said before other programs did not get ORB either. It happens sometimes. I would say the pace of the race compromised many of the horses that you showed near the top of your readings in Energy.

Thanks Bill for the readouts. Any of the horses that were close to #10 Palace Malice in the beginning of the race were nowhere to be found at the end.

Last edited by Houndog; 05-08-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Added to post
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
alydar_ David
Grade 1

I had Orb as the best F1, F2, SC and tied for final time. And if I'd sorted by AP he'd be on top of the rankings.

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthr...0303#post90303

I used multiple pacelines, a win or place in GII or higher. Nothing fancy. Then I let the program narrow it down to the best five.

As I said in the original post it was too close to call. I wouldn't have been a bit surprised if any of those five won.
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote