Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 09-25-2021, 11:54 PM   #1
1retired
Grade 3

Extreme Pace Handicapping

Barb Craven

I'm 1retired. My first name is Dave.

I saw through reading posts on Races of Interest on Ted's website that you have read Randy Giles book, Extreme Pace Handicapping. I read portions of it at one time in the past when I saw it in a library somewhere, but I didn't really read. that much of it.

My understanding is that he describes a number of Pace Handicapping angles which he describes in colorful terms. Could you tell me if you found the book worthwhile in a way that you can, were able to, and have pracdtically adapted it's angles to your handicapping methodology that you use wwith RDSS?

Is it a worthwhile book? would you recommend it? Could you describe the most impactful 2 or three angles that he talks about in his book that you were able to adapt to your real life handicapping today?

I assume that one of th e obvious angles that he discussed was the situation where there is too mu ch Early Speed in terms of Quirin Speed Points among the entrants in a race and that there would be at least 3 entrants with high early speed points and that you would eliminate the Early Speed horses from win contention in the race, and that an OTE horse or horses would become the win candidates, presumably at high oddsi? Would that be correct?

By way of a trade so that I am offering something in return, I offer my flehsed out version of Lueylumps Early/Late Difference angle. I have spoken about it in my posts. See my posts on Old TPR threads. Below I have attached a Excel database with the 10 horses so far that I have put with their records in my database establishing a spot play angle for horses with significantly higher EPR ratings compared to their TPR ratings and whose Total Energy and other traditional rankings in RDSS are not that great who are winning races because of this high E/L difference.

I'm hoping that you will post me back with some information. ]]

1retired
Dave

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx E-L DIFF GRAPH SPOT PLAY ANGLE (1) (1).xlsx (10.1 KB, 752 views)
1retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:11 AM   #2
1retired
Grade 3

Hi Barb. a

I'm retired1. I, as the name suggests, recently retired and have a lot of time on my hands to do what I want. I've always been interested in horse race handicapping and while surfing the web, came upon your son, Ted's, website. I used the Sartin methdology at the time of Phase III and thought it had start of the art thinking at that time. I' think RDSS now has state of the art thinking re handicapping. That's why I'm contacting you now.

I just read my original message and it seems pretty abrupt. That's why I'm sending you this f/u message.

1retired
Old 09-26-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
Tim Y
turf historian

WORD to the WISE...No handicapping program works universally the same. also it takes TIME to transfer selections to good wagers.

PLAY ON PAPER until you find consistency in your reading the evaluations.
TRY many tracks and see which ones are your best
RECORD all your evaluations and betting decisions for post race evaluation. You will, as all of us from time to time, will find positives and negatives which you can exploit or work on to alter
Old 09-27-2021, 09:59 PM   #4
MJS6916
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired View Post
Barb Craven

I'm 1retired. My first name is Dave.

I saw through reading posts on Races of Interest on Ted's website that you have read Randy Giles book, Extreme Pace Handicapping. I read portions of it at one time in the past when I saw it in a library somewhere, but I didn't really read. that much of it.

My understanding is that he describes a number of Pace Handicapping angles which he describes in colorful terms. Could you tell me if you found the book worthwhile in a way that you can, were able to, and have pracdtically adapted it's angles to your handicapping methodology that you use wwith RDSS?

Is it a worthwhile book? would you recommend it? Could you describe the most impactful 2 or three angles that he talks about in his book that you were able to adapt to your real life handicapping today?

I assume that one of th e obvious angles that he discussed was the situation where there is too mu ch Early Speed in terms of Quirin Speed Points among the entrants in a race and that there would be at least 3 entrants with high early speed points and that you would eliminate the Early Speed horses from win contention in the race, and that an OTE horse or horses would become the win candidates, presumably at high oddsi? Would that be correct?

By way of a trade so that I am offering something in return, I offer my flehsed out version of Lueylumps Early/Late Difference angle. I have spoken about it in my posts. See my posts on Old TPR threads. Below I have attached a Excel database with the 10 horses so far that I have put with their records in my database establishing a spot play angle for horses with significantly higher EPR ratings compared to their TPR ratings and whose Total Energy and other traditional rankings in RDSS are not that great who are winning races because of this high E/L difference.

I'm hoping that you will post me back with some information. ]]

1retired
Dave

It's not the best written book I've gone through but definitely worth reading.

I liked going through the "recognizing the running style exercises"
( I call "running style" ---> P1cP which stands for Preferred 1st Call Position" ).

I'll come back with more later. I left the book at my cottage, so I don't want to butcher the details for now.

http://sartinmethodology.com/pubs/RD...d_Glossary.pdf
MJS6916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:07 AM   #5
1retired
Grade 3

Thanks

Dave
1retired
Old 10-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #6
MJS6916
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired View Post
Thanks

Dave
1retired
Just picked up the book at my cottage before dinner tonight.

Won't have a chance to get into it now.

I didn't forget about you. Bear with me.

Good luck and skill to you this weekend.

Mike

Old 10-01-2021, 09:37 PM   #7
1retired
Grade 3

Mike

Thanks. Hope to hear from you soon.

Dave
Old 10-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #8
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS6916 View Post
It's not the best written book I've gone through but definitely worth reading.

I liked going through the "recognizing the running style exercises"
( I call "running style" ---> P1cP which stands for Preferred 1st Call Position" ).

I'll come back with more later. I left the book at my cottage, so I don't want to butcher the details for now.
Took me a long time to accept it, but POSTION and segmental velocity makes assigning a running style somewhere in between these two.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:50 PM   #9
MJS6916
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
Took me a long time to accept it, but POSTION and segmental velocity makes assigning a running style somewhere in between these two.
100+% agree.

I forget who put this out but, it was someone from this forum.

I copied and saved the following to my notes about a year ago.

"I don't believe that you can separate running style from Projecting today's pace.
First there are two aspects that you want to determine for running style:

1) Will the horse pass other horses?, will he run past a bunch of horses in a single pace segment?

2) When the horse wins or runs very close where was he at the 1st Call? OK, maybe 3.

3) Will he fight when he is challenged? or does he quit and let the other horse go by?"

Old 10-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #10
ranchwest
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS6916 View Post
100+% agree.

I forget who put this out but, it was someone from this forum.

I copied and saved the following to my notes about a year ago.

"I don't believe that you can separate running style from Projecting today's pace.
First there are two aspects that you want to determine for running style:

1) Will the horse pass other horses?, will he run past a bunch of horses in a single pace segment?

2) When the horse wins or runs very close where was he at the 1st Call? OK, maybe 3.

3) Will he fight when he is challenged? or does he quit and let the other horse go by?"
Are you defining running style as positional?
ranchwest is offline   Reply With Quote