Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Ryan.p.coli
Grade 1

New Profiles, Tracks to play, Feedback Loops

For those of you who have not seen any of my posts yet, I am relatively new to the Sartin Methodology. I am an RDSS user, and a believer in both the methodology and in RDSS as a the Modern Sartin Methodology Application.

That being said... getting started is not easy.

First of all, I spent a ton of time building a track profile for Santa Anita, only to realize that yesterday was the last racing day until the fall meet. I'm assuming the data compiled from SA won't be indicative of the track when it re-opens....

The good news is, I built a data dump from RDSS excel exports that automates the entire data entry portion, and can easily be used to build other track profiles (I'm pretty good with excel although I'm not the best with VBA). Building track profiles going forward should be significantly less time consuming. There is no need for keeping separate tabs and files for different distances/tracks as all data can easily be filtered with a pivot table for min, max, average, median outputs. If anyone has interest in learning more about how to do this, shoot me a note and I would be glad to help you through it.

My questions to you:

1. What tracks do you all play and why? I've seen several people post about Woodbine, PRX, Penn National, and Santa Anita. I generally prefer the flashier tracks (Del Mar, Saratoga, SA, Keeneland). I've read here that the length of their meets generally makes it less worth keeping records for these tracks.
2. Does anyone have any tips for starting a profile? I can tell you right now, being such a massive fan of data is somewhat annoying considering I have none.
3. Say you pick a certain paceline for a horse, but after the race, you realize that it wasn't the most indicative paceline to the race today. Do you then go back, and select the proper paceline? I find myself wanting to do this, but realizing that consistency in paceline selection is so key, that it would tarnish the credibility of my data.
4. Does anyone want to partner up and share track profiles? IE: We each divide a couple tracks throughout the summer, compile our data individually (albeit using the same profile template), and then share them weekly throughout the racing season? I would do this myself, but I am in a hurry to get this info and analyze the results.

Let me know if anybody has any thoughts.

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan.p.coli is offline   Reply With Quote