Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion Phase III/MPH, Synergism, Energy, Kgen, Entropy, Thoromation, Quad-Rater, PaceLauncher, Synthesis, Validator, Val4, Speculator, etc ...

Old 04-03-2024, 10:01 AM   #11
ray lopez
Grade 1

Teb21,

The installation of Virtual Box and the XP Pro was easy.It is when I started to integrate the storage and shared folders that frustrated me.i have to quit,relax and get back to it about
3-5 times before i figured it out.I also allocated 1 gig memory instead of 512k and 10 gig for the disc space.After i got it installed,it was quite a relief...My suggestion to those
planning tio do it is to read the virtual box forum and watch Youtube and prepare for some head-scratching moments.Take a few breaks and don't give up.I am not too good with computers but if you understand computers,there will be little problem...a bottle of
tequila for me helps too.
ray lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:16 PM   #12
DanBoals
Grade 1

Hey Ray,

I used DOSBox-0.74-3 to test the old programs and it seems to work. You put the programs on your C drive on Windows 10 or whatever like you would have with your old laptop, same directory names and everything. Then you launch DOSBox, mount the C drive as C, then CD over to the directory and the programs run just like you had a DOS computer. Not sure how printing is going to work though since that requires a hardware port. Does the Virtual Machine software allow your programs to communicate with the hardware, like the printer?
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 03:46 PM   #13
ray lopez
Grade 1

Hi Dan,

Dosbox 0.74 has always work ,even in the older XP Mode of Win 7 Pro and still works in the newer virtual box on Win 10-11.I don't know about using a printer with it because i never needed a printer with older programs...Now,the only issue i have on Dosbox is it will not run Val 2 or Val4.I tried having a sub-directory of Trkmast in Val4,it will run for a few instances but still got errors.I tried so many times using different setups,but still it will not work...All the other Sartin programs work just fine...
Old 04-04-2024, 04:21 PM   #14
ray lopez
Grade 1

The question is why install a Virtual Box if a lot of old Doc programs run on Dos box?...
I need it because i have The Hat's Aodds 98 Super Gold.This is one of the most important old software i have.With this program,i can load Bris/Trackmaster pp's,pick pacelines and handicap with it if i want,and the ability to export to EXDC/Energy,Entropy,Pace Launcher 4/5.I was also able to tinker with Synthesis so it will be able to download Bris data...Why
stay with the old programs? Why not,it works for me.There is nothing new in the past
performances that will warrant me to switch.The Bris Prime Power is over-rated and overbet.This is just my opinion.My eyes are bad and the colorful Doc programs ...the red and the blue..the graphs and big letters of Aodds are so easing to my bad vision...and the Doc's programs are working and ticking like mt old Timex watch...
Old 04-04-2024, 04:23 PM   #15
ray lopez
Grade 1

...like my old Timex watch.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:29 PM   #16
DanBoals
Grade 1

Ok, that makes sense. I have never tried the Validator programs.

Thank you for the explanation Ray. Keep up the awesome work.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:33 PM   #17
teb21
Grade 1

You can print from a Virtual box. Printing to a wireless printer can be a challenge. Printing to a USB connected printer is easier. I currently print to PDF using Foxit reader PDF printer. I also have used Tiny PDF. I do not print often but if I need to I can move it to the shared folder, open it, and print it.
teb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:12 PM   #18
DanBoals
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teb21 View Post
You can print from a Virtual box. Printing to a wireless printer can be a challenge. Printing to a USB connected printer is easier. I currently print to PDF using Foxit reader PDF printer. I also have used Tiny PDF. I do not print often but if I need to I can move it to the shared folder, open it, and print it.
Interesting. Good to know. Thank you.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:25 PM   #19
teb21
Grade 1

I have used DOSBox-0.74-3 now I use vdosplus which does not require mounting and prints to my wireless printer. The only program I have tries on it is Tom Brohamer's Modern Pace Handicapping Version 1.3 1995. I just made an mph directory in the vosplus directory and installed mph. To run it required clicking on the desktop shortcut which opened a dos window tith a c prompt. i changed the directory to mph and ran mph. I used th f10 key to print and it found my wireless printer and asked if I wante to print to that printer. When I said yes it printed. I just had to type exit to close the window. http://www.vdosplus.org/
teb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:22 AM   #20
DanBoals
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teb21 View Post
I have used DOSBox-0.74-3 now I use vdosplus which does not require mounting and prints to my wireless printer. The only program I have tries on it is Tom Brohamer's Modern Pace Handicapping Version 1.3 1995. I just made an mph directory in the vosplus directory and installed mph. To run it required clicking on the desktop shortcut which opened a dos window tith a c prompt. i changed the directory to mph and ran mph. I used th f10 key to print and it found my wireless printer and asked if I wante to print to that printer. When I said yes it printed. I just had to type exit to close the window. http://www.vdosplus.org/
I have not heard of this program, I will definitely check it out.

Thank you,