Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 06-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
trotman
Grade 1

Don't Poke the Bear

We have all heard the plight of the slots at Ontario racetracks and the future of horse racing in Ontario. I believe that when Nick Eaves spoke out at the post position draw for the Queens Plate and threatened to close up shop should the government continue on this path to pull out was out of frustration. This program since 2000 has been a boon to all but when the NDP and Conservatives said they would step in and block the minority Liberal government from this, do you not find it strange that neither party has come out and said that was part of their agenda when pressuring the Liberal government to change their budget among other things. The Ontario budget is so far out of whack since the Liberals took power nothing is safe. Each party says jobs, health care and schooling is their priorities along with building industry, if that was the case we should be in good shape, but with all parties it's a matter of wasted money. Our schools are a joke and our health care workers and Doctors are leaving for greener pastures. All of this and they want to shut down horse racing, breeding, agriculture and all the other spin off business that needs horse racing. Our Racing is the envy of the world and respected everywhere and if we are truly dealing with a minority government then lets all force the election, stop paying your taxes, stop everything drinking, smoking, lotteries, and see them wake up. Is it in you, we the masses have the power, we just have to do it. We are the Bear and when you poke the bear things happen.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
barb craven
Grade 1

I think you've got that down pat trotman. I would venture to guess that the reason the conservatives and NDP aren't forcing the issue is because they fear another election so soon after all the other federal, provincial and municipal elections that went on in the past year. The public as a whole are fed up and don't want another election and will not vote for any party that invokes one. That being the case, the Liberals would probably get back in with a majority. No thinking person wants that, but it's the urban population that dictates who gets in. They have no idea what goes on in the rural parts of Ontario.

If there was some way to rally those 60,000 who will be or are already affected by McGinty's latest fiasco we might have a chance. I know our MPP is trying her best to get some action. I live in the heart of the breeding area for standardbreds and am seeing first hand the effects that are already being felt.

Do you know if an on-line petition has been circulated? That would be a start. If every one affected sent it to 5 friends who did the same it wouldn't take long to make the bear roar. I've seen that happen up here when an international conglomerate tried to sneak an aggregate operation in up here. It's been stopped through the power of the little people.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
trotman
Grade 1

Barb the Standardbred people started a petition on the Standardbred Canada website and I'm sure it fell on deaf ears. I don't know if the Thoroughbred side did the same. IMO both sides have to get together and attack this as one industry and forget the squabbling of the past between the two sides. The voice of an industry must be heard and we as the fuel from our wagering dollar must be heard. Why should those of us who choose not to play slots or craps or poker have our entertainment taken away from us. I thought we lived in a democratic province and country where our constitution gave us the opportunity to make choices for ourselves. This should be taken to the highest court in the country because IMO it is an infringement on our right of choice.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
barb craven
Grade 1

I couldn't agree more. You would think with their livelihood at stake it would be automatic to join forces. I wonder how much Woodbine has to do with it. I'm not in the know, but I would assume this isn't going to affect them too much.