Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
For The Lead
Grade 1

The Future(?) of Horse Racing?

I saw this race condition today.

CLAIMING $4,000
Purse $9,500. For Three Year Olds And Upward. For trainers which have not won two races at Finger Lakes in the 2011 racing season. A minimum of 10 starts at Finger Lakes in 2011 is required Three Year Olds, 120 Lbs.; Older, 124 Lbs. Non-winners of two races since September 29 Allowed 2 Lbs. A race since then Allowed 4 Lbs. Claiming Price $4,000. Six Furlongs.

That's right, you didn't read it wrong. The "race condition" is "FOR TRAINERS"!! And has nothing to do with the horses!!

After reading it a couple of times, I concluded that the racing secretary that came up with this gem was being kind. Perhaps what he was really thinking was.."for the worst trainers on the grounds OR the trainers with the worst racing stock on the grounds"

I know the sport of horse racing is deteriorating, but horse racing conditions that have nothing to do with the horse??

And then I thought, "for three year olds and up"? Can a person get a trainers license at the age of THREE??
Old 10-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
shoeless
Grade 1

Surprised that your shocked at this sort of condition.How else can these
cheap tracks fill races nowadays?
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post
Surprised that your shocked at this sort of condition.How else can these
cheap tracks fill races nowadays?
Really?

So other than a general comment on the state of racing at cheap tracks, you're saying you have seen this type of condition before, where the condition is based on the trainer rather than the horse?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
shoeless
Grade 1

Yes but dont ask me where,I cant even remember what I had for breakfast this morning
Old 10-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Bill V.
The egg man

my kind of race

I like the idea. Looks like Finger Lakes is closing down soon for the winter
This race seems to be a reward for trainers who stayed on the grounds
even though times are tough with no winners

anyway I like Finger Lakes One of the biggest pick 3's I ever hit
(I don't bet many pick 3's ) was on a Friday at Finger Lakes

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post
Yes but dont ask me where,I cant even remember what I had for breakfast this morning
If you come across another one, I would appreciate it if you let me know.

(if you can remember lol)

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
shoeless
Grade 1

Bill,

Good point rewarding the trainers who havent moved down south yet waiting for Tampa to open.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Lead View Post
I saw this race condition today.

CLAIMING $4,000
Purse $9,500. For Three Year Olds And Upward. For trainers which have not won two races at Finger Lakes in the 2011 racing season. A minimum of 10 starts at Finger Lakes in 2011 is required Three Year Olds, 120 Lbs.; Older, 124 Lbs. Non-winners of two races since September 29 Allowed 2 Lbs. A race since then Allowed 4 Lbs. Claiming Price $4,000. Six Furlongs.

That's right, you didn't read it wrong. The "race condition" is "FOR TRAINERS"!! And has nothing to do with the horses!!

After reading it a couple of times, I concluded that the racing secretary that came up with this gem was being kind. Perhaps what he was really thinking was.."for the worst trainers on the grounds OR the trainers with the worst racing stock on the grounds"

I know the sport of horse racing is deteriorating, but horse racing conditions that have nothing to do with the horse??

And then I thought, "for three year olds and up"? Can a person get a trainers license at the age of THREE??
A license at three? These kids today, I tell ya.' LOL

I've never seen this condition before. What a creative and supportive idea. Probably not the most predictable of races though. LOL
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
shoeless
Grade 1

I know this is not exactly the same as the example above but havent you ever seen conditions for horses that have started a certain amount of times
at a track within a certain time frame.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
For The Lead
Grade 1

food for thought

As you all know, race conditions are a means of further breaking down the class of the race. As an example, a $5,000 claiming race can be “open”, meaning there is no further condition and ANY horse can enter, or there can be further conditions such as NW?X, NW?6M, NW?Y and so on. The same is true for Allowance races or Optional Claiming races where the condition may be NW?L, NW?X, NW$X and etc.

So the real point to offering the above condition is, where does it fit since it has nothing to do with the horse?

At some point in the future, these horses will be running back and the worst part will be, this condition will not show in the PP’s. Obviously, the quality of this race is considerable lower than some of the other conditions for the same claiming price. I have no idea how this will show in the PP line when these horses run back.

If anyone out there can shed some light on this, please feel free to do so.

Although the following condition is “restricted” to “greys and roans” at least the condition is based on the horse not the trainer. Nevertheless, the quality of the race compared to other SH fields that are “open” is less. These races are generally noted in the PP line with an “r” to indicate it was a restricted race, but it doesn’t tell you “what” the restriction was.

Parx Racing - October 31, 2011

Race 7 - 2:56 PM First Half Daily Double / Pick 3 (Races 7-8-9) Exacta / Trifecta

STARTER HANDICAP $16,000

Purse $50,000. (plus Up To 40% Pabf) For Greys And Roans, Three Year Olds And Upward Which Have Started For A Claiming Price Of $16,000 Or Less In 2010-2011. Free nominations close Monday, October 17, 2011. Weights: Monday, October 24, 2011. Starters to be named through the entry box by the usual time of closing on Friday, October 28, 2011. Highweights on the scale preferred. Seven Furlongs.