Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
For The Lead
Grade 1

TP Race 3 and Lasix

There was a race from TP today that I thought was worthwhile posting about. There were a couple of things I thought were interesting.

I’m not going to elaborate on each horse . Most of you probably already know how I choose contenders and lines, but I will talk about one particular horse….the #3. But before I do that, there is one other thing I thought I should mention, not just about the #3 horse, but every horse in every race you look at, and that is the “auto RS” designation.

Below is a screen shot of where the “RS” designation appears.

Name:  AUTORS.JPG
Views: 647
Size:  17.2 KB

If you are not looking at this RS designation and then looking at the horse's PP's for your own verification of the RS, then you are making a mistake!
Now let’s take a look at the #3 horse. The “auto RS” designation says this horse is an “S7”. The “7” is your first clue that something is wrong! The “7” represents the QUIRIN Early Speed Points and sustained horses just don’t get a “7”. Now let's look at the horse's entire PP's.

Name:  TP3RS.JPG
Views: 779
Size:  116.3 KB

You can see that in every race where this horse has shown any sign of life, it attempted to run early, whether it was successful or not. Therefore, what you should do is click on the “E” button I have noted and change the “RS” designation to an “E”. This horse is an EARLY horse.

Staying with this screen shot, how many of you would dismiss this horse out of hand for its’ poor performance in its’ last race? The horse didn’t even finish! In fact, it was pulled up!

Sometimes handicapping requires a little extra investigation. How many of you would click on the “TRIP” tab to see if there was any information there that might help? Ok, so maybe a few would and a few wouldn’t, but all of you should. And when you click on the trip tab and the comment says “bled, eased up”, what does that mean to you? Here’s what it should mean to you. Here's the screen shot.

Name:  TP3BLED.JPG
Views: 735
Size:  96.0 KB

How many of you would like to try and run while blood is pouring out of your nose? I don’t think there is anyone. Well, that is what happens to horses when the comment says “bled” or makes any reference to a horse “bleeding”. It is caused by the blood vessels in the nose rupturing. It’s no wonder that this horse was “eased up”. OK, so how does that help you?

Is there anyone reading this that has never heard of LASIX? Just in case there is, lasix is a drug that is given to horses that “bled”. Now, there is a couple of things I can tell you about lasix.
1 – it helps horses that have the bleeding problem.
2 – it is not as effective in high humidity, such as when it rains.
3 – it can mask other drugs.

There was a time, years ago, when “medication” such as lasix did not appear in the Racing Form. The public was not provided with this information, unless you knew where to look for it.
When I use to go to the track, my first stop was the Racing Secretary’s office, because a list of all horses running on lasix that day (or night) was posted there. At least this is the way it worked in NJ and PA. I would make a note of those horses on my program for use later on when I was handicapping the races. The “rule” at the time was, as a result of the first incident of bleeding, the horse was required to be off for no less than 30 days. As a result of the second incident of bleeding, the horse was required to be off for no less than 180 days. Upon the third incident of bleeding, the horse was ruled off the track. Finally, this information became available in the Racing Form. Eventually, the rules, as I just mentioned them, were completely changed, making them much more lenient. Ok, back to the #3 horse.

So how would I handle this horse?
I would, and did, put this horse in off line 2. Since today’s race is for NW2L, using the maiden win is the correct call. We don’t have to be concerned over the horse’s last race, now that we understand what happen on the day of its’ last race and what will happen as a result. Meaning, it will get medicated. My point is that the horse should not be dismissed out of hand. If the horse does not become a viable betting prospect off of line 2, we will find that out soon enough.

The next post will show the various screens from this race that I normally post.
I will just point out, that the winner had the best 1st AND 2nd fraction. Sometimes this is confused with the best 1st fraction and second call. They are two different things.

The 2nd fraction is the point at which presser and sustained horses are generally beginning their moves and in most cases they will have a better 2nd fraction than the horse that has been on the lead. In the case where the horse on the lead is running faster than the horses trying to make up ground from behind the leader, this generally does not bode well for those horses trying to come from off the pace. Just keep that in mind.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
For The Lead
Grade 1

The rest of the race

Ok, here are my screen shots from the 3rd race at TP, along with the chart of the race.

As you can see, the segments screen shows that the #3 will not be able to beat the #5 to the lead. The #5 is the fastest at the 1st call as well as the 2nd fraction.

Also notice, that even though the #3 was not able to get the lead as it would have liked to, it ran a very credible race to finish 2nd.

I also have to mention....$29.80 ain't bad for the best early horse in the race!
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
noddub62
Budman

great post

your insight and teaching is great. please keep it up.

thanks, bud
noddub62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Bill V.
The egg man

thanks

Thanks for the lesson FTL

RDSS2 does a good job with the auto running styles
but as you show some times it messes up a S7!!

I think its a important step to mark the running styles of a horse's
Plus and Plus within a zero races

This is a guideline from Pace Makes The Race

ESP

Running Styles

Early E - These horses, in their good efforts always try for the lead.

Early Pressers EP - These horses tend to run first, second or third and less than 2 beaten lengths at the second call in sprints and less than (3) beaten lengths in routes, these are not hard and fast rules but guidelines.

Presser P - These horse tend to run third, fourth, or fifth and are more
than two beaten lengths back at the second call in a sprint and three in a route.

Sustained S- These horses run in the back half of the field and are
usually more than four lengths behind at the second call in a sprint and
five in a route

No Form or Ugly or Unknown U - A horse with no usable pacelines or a horse that has been beaten badly in its last few races, making no showing in any part of the race.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
polambi
Grade 1

Good teachinG "FOR THE LEAD". Thanks. I have one question.
How can we find out if horses in todays's race have been administered lasix?
What is the best place to look for that information?
polambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Dorianmode
always learning

Thanks for the teaching. Being a doc, I am well aware of what Lasix (Furosemide) can do. There were a couple others yesterday, that I would have tossed out of my card, but they showed up #1 in EPR, so I left them in.
I use EPR #1 as at least worth a good look in routes, (I still have no explanation for why it works...just my records), and always in 5 and 5.5 F races, per my records, which sort of makes sense to me. In the 6th race at Santa Anita, EPR #1 Unstopped Topper, went off around 13/1, and won, and in Sam Houston #9, (both races on my card BTW as they were high class races, in their categories), the #3, When We Believe, went off at 31/1, and won.
Dorianmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by polambi View Post
Good teachinG "FOR THE LEAD". Thanks. I have one question.
How can we find out if horses in todays's race have been administered lasix?
What is the best place to look for that information?
You should find it here, on the "trip tab". The letter "L" represents "lasix". However, as with other horse information, sometimes it is late being announced, so it doesn't make it into the PP information. This applies to the Racing Form as well as the download from Trackmaster. The most likely reason for this is, this is the first time the horse will be running "on lasix".

Name:  tp3rd3.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  95.5 KB

You can see the information in the same place on the winner of the race. Notice this horse has been "on" lasix in every race in the PP's.

Name:  tpr3rd5.JPG
Views: 759
Size:  121.8 KB

However, it can be verified in the race chart as you can see below.

Name:  tpr3rdres.JPG
Views: 775
Size:  147.3 KB
Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
polambi
Grade 1

Thanks "FOR THE LEAD" for your answer. This proves that a lot of the information required to make an informed decision is already at our fingertips. But we just need to be aware of it.
I have been using RDSS for a year, and never knew that lasix was mentioned in the Trip section. I wonder what else is hiding from me

Have a good day.
Paul
polambi is offline   Reply With Quote