Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 02-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Psychotic Parakeet
Grade 3

Post Creating a track profile

Hi everyone!

I am finalizing my track profile for Del Mar's 5.0F turf sprint since they installed the new grass and a widened the course from 2014 to present. I was using Brohamer's track profile model from his book, Modern Pace Handicapping. For those not familiar, he uses this simple formula:
  1. Distance
  2. # of Entries
  3. 1st Call (position and BL of the winner)
  4. 2nd Call (position and BL of the winner)
  5. E%
  6. Running Style

Since the book was written 18 years ago, would you feel this still applies to today's standards? What would you add and/or remove as far as Sartin Methodology goes? I did analyze all the winning performances and put them into basic Sartin format (e.g. AP, EP, 1FR etc...)

I also created a database of the sire/broodmare sire combinations, J/T combination, post bias, lay-off angles, FTS angles, payouts, incremental fractions, and all that jazz for this specific distance as well. I will post my work as a PDF download for all of you to have, once everything is edited and completed to help you out - since many of you helped me in the past.

Any suggestions are greatly-appreciated. Thank you so much!
Old 02-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

Solid .

That looks like a solid foundation

Good Skill
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
Mark
Grade 1

Track Profile

I recently read the Brohammer Lecture series that is available on this website. There is a form provided with the columns you listed available to copy. My opinion for what it is worth, is that there is one critical piece of information missing: 1st Call time. That is the precursor to %E or %Med, Call positions and Beaten lengths. It will greatly impact ESP which is what Tom used instead of visual Running Style.
A 1st Call time of sub-22 versus 22 and change will greatly effect all the runners in the race, their early positions and the resulting %E and%Med as well as final time. At 5f, there is less distance and time for deceleration to result from early exertion however, the farther they go the more impact it will have. I believe the Doc stated that 5.5f was run generally sustained.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Mitch44
Grade 1

Good point and post Mark.
Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:32 AM   #5
Psychotic Parakeet
Grade 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I recently read the Brohammer Lecture series that is available on this website. There is a form provided with the columns you listed available to copy. My opinion for what it is worth, is that there is one critical piece of information missing: 1st Call time. That is the precursor to %E or %Med, Call positions and Beaten lengths. It will greatly impact ESP which is what Tom used instead of visual Running Style.
A 1st Call time of sub-22 versus 22 and change will greatly effect all the runners in the race, their early positions and the resulting %E and%Med as well as final time. At 5f, there is less distance and time for deceleration to result from early exertion however, the farther they go the more impact it will have. I believe the Doc stated that 5.5f was run generally sustained.
What a fantastic idea! I will implement it into my chart. Thank you so much!
Old 02-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
Lt1
Grade 1

At the tracks I play and model 5.5f races do in fact favor sustained runners.
Tim
Old 02-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Psychotic Parakeet
Grade 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 View Post
Tim
It is strange that you'd think it would be the opposite. Out of the 118 race sample over the seasons, 32.2% were won by the "S" runners, more than any other running style.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
Bill V.
The egg man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 View Post
Tim
Hi

In my Model/Profile which is about 1400 races

Med % for sprints

Code:
5.0 68.81
5.5 68.58
6.0 68.73
6.5 68.42
7.0 68.40
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote