Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
CheckMark
Conley

Non-RDSS/Sartin ideas/seminars?

Ted

Will you be having more seminars soon?

I know it is only fair to start with RDSS/Sartin stuff because more people would be interested in that but would there ever be a time where we would include non-RDSS/Sartin ideas/seminars?
Old 11-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
Lt1
Grade 1

And why exactly would we do that?. Folks need to concentrate on our learning Docs' Methodology without cluttering their minds with outside material. Don't they have enough non Sartin material over at PA to keep you occupied?.
Tim
Old 11-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Ted

Will you be having more seminars soon?

I know it is only fair to start with RDSS/Sartin stuff because more people would be interested in that but would there ever be a time where we would include non-RDSS/Sartin ideas/seminars?
There will be seminars at Paceandcap.com only about RDSS and the Sartin Methodology. Soon. I imagine the HTR or Jcapper or Black Magic or HSH software communities would similarly not welcome diverse seminars: that's why each exists in the first place!

Meanwhile ... this Thread is focused on Dick W's method. Let's keep it that way.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 11-03-2021, 05:22 PM   #4
Lt1
Grade 1

Well said Ted.
Tim
Old 11-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #5
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 View Post
And why exactly would we do that?. Folks need to concentrate on our learning Docs' Methodology without cluttering their minds with outside material. Don't they have enough non Sartin material over at PA to keep you occupied?.
Tim
p. 158 Pace Makes the Race M. Pizzola: " To those who must have a mechanical approach, I can only tell you that you are sentecing yourself to mere COMPETENCE at BEST. One of my favorite quotes is attrbutd to Lao Tse, the compiler of the Ta Te Ching He said, "When the great way is lost, there arises codes and conduct and behavior."

In other words, imagintion and innovation are put to sleep without constant re-evalution of method. Playing this game is competitive and requires an evolution to be ahead of the curve. NOT mandatory, but preferable.

One of thr GREATEST things I learned in both my undergrad years, as well in in medical school: NO SINGULAR METHOD, or source material, is enough to investigate projections into the future. Same goes here in the parimutuel game. You cannot learn anything when the process is static.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:25 PM   #6
Lt1
Grade 1

Tim I'm not saying that other things shouldn't be explored but only that is a site devoted to the Methodology. I do use other things in my capping, but in my opinion, those things should not clutter this site. Everyone is free to explore whatever they deem useful.
Tim
Old 11-03-2021, 06:46 PM   #7
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 View Post
Tim I'm not saying that other things shouldn't be explored but only that is a site devoted to the Methodology. I do use other things in my capping, but in my opinion, those things should not clutter this site. Everyone is free to explore whatever they deem useful.
Tim
See, we BOTH use sources that WORK from around our experinces...

I would NEVER would know what I didn't know without a very solid foundation of the methodology (I was around since 1986 when Phase III was the standard- never really had a "feeling" for things until ENERGY however)

My knowledge of how to investigate maidens was fashioned on repetitive readouts of Early Pace, my understanding of the THEOERETICAL way of evaluating TURF races, I owe to the deceleration concept (HOWEVER working the photfinihs carema for over 10 years has soured my BIG TIME on turf races as the TRIP too often negates the work in projection) Turfers and "two races better than the field mollifies that a little. Style over Substance was a discover via Thoromation, Order within Chaos a result of VP/C, and Speculator gleaned many a key to understanding how to eliminate horse as ell as the early/late concept.

What I attribute the BEST result of association with H. Sartin was the recommendation of outside reading material that was an inspiration for many of his concepts, his incorporation of Yin and Yang and Chinese philosophy (the concept "either...or,)" and I still have several of those texts which I re-read from time to time.

Did not forget all that I learned, just added to it.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:24 AM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

The above posts were extracted from their original thread, because they interrupted and diverted focus away from that Thread's subject. Continue the debate about evolving and nuancing the Sartin Methodology and profiting by it here in this Thread.

Meanwhile, we will evolve and nuance the Methodology with a contribution from Dick W in the thread he started, linked above.

Of course we're not going to stop growing! Hence myriad additions to RDSS since Doc's time -- Matchup ideas suggested by Jim Bradshaw, RichieP and other matchers, integrated tote analysis (Tx), Workout ratings, enhanced Class ratings (CR+), external non-correlated public ratings from TwinSpires (PL/BPP), Composite ratings (CSR), positionally influenced pace (NewPace/EL+), Rx aggregate oddslines, Rich Mathie's 4-Factor analysis, some of Tim Y's ideas, some of Tim G's ideas (Lt1), some of Dick W's ideas, some of Dr Ziemba's ideas, etc, etc.

If an idea exists which evolves from a seed of what Sartin presented, and is demonstrably proven by research to enhance the analyst/bettor's experience and is not mostly redundant to existing Sartin concepts (e.g. most trainer/jockey/breeding angles), then let's discuss it! If you've evolved a unique approach which works with RDSS or older Sartin tools and you've got some organized research you want to share, and can communicate coherently, and you want to do a webinar here, reach out to me.

Otherwise, post a link to a seminar you're conducting elsewhere and I'll be there, as I have been doing for years to learn more.

Meanwhile ...

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 11-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #9
ranchwest
Grade 1

Ted, will the webinars you will feature be available to everyone?
Old 11-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Sure thing! No charge, as always.

At least, I don't really want P&C to be a platform for those who want to privately sell their handicapping ideas.

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-04-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Closed Thread