Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
shoeless
Grade 1

good place to start

Im trying to get a better comprehension of the match up not for picking winners but for determing if the race will be run early or late.Im now rereading the match up red manual and find it's a good place to start.
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
partsnut
BetMix User

I am not here to criticize any method one might choose to achieve success. What works for some may not work for others. All I can tell you is what worked for me.

In the 121 race cycle that I handicapped in the Meadowlands contest I won 45 races A touch over 37%.(single pick) winners.
Not once during this contest did I look at a split time or first fraction. To me position at the second call and beaten lengths and position at the finish is paramount.
This in accordance with the pace comfort zone, pace velocity and speed points which gives you a fair indication of how the race will run. I am a proponent of PaceAppraiser. I use no software other then the PaceAppraiser Form because I have no need to. However, I made a decision clear to my head and start fresh and dedicate myself to learning a new method that works and has been repeatedly proven.

What ever method works for you - stick with it.
Only you will know what you are comfortable with and what affect it will have on your bankroll.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
shoeless
Grade 1

Parts,Your reply is way off topic.The reason I posted this was that in my opinion the match up is best used to determine if a race will be setup eatly or late,I believe that only Hat was able to pick the winner sucessfully without the aid of a computer.I would like to be more proficent at being able to do this but have nowhere to turn to so I started rereading the manual.The funny thing is before Gary got Jim to post here he had hooked me up with him via e mail but I didnt seize the oppurtunity to learn from him.Rx Lawyer did tell me one time of a gentlemen in Vegas named Jim Mc Elwee who is supposed to be just as good doing the match up as Hat was.I had tried to contact him aways back but never heard from him.Jeff

As a side note and you will think this sounds weird and it's no BS a couple of night ago I had a dream with Hat in it.We were in the desert together chasing someone but I dont know who it was.The funny thing about this was 1)my decision to learn the match up better 2)I have been talking to one of my best friends who moved to Vegas and he is trying to have me do the same.I have enough equity in my house where IF and that's a big one I could sell my place here I could pay cash for something in Vegas and have pocket money left over.Maybe then I can meet up with Mr.Mc Elwee.Jeff
Old 11-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

A good place to start imho is pinned on the wall beside me

Jim Bradshaw's 5 Step Approach to the Match Up
Attached Images

Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
shoeless
Grade 1

Charlie,That's great but you still might want to take a peek at the red manual since the 5 step approach is an offspring of it.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Jeff

I've read the Red Manual more than once and i can see why some people had difficulty understanding it

The 5 Step is an easy to understand condensed version of it

The first draft of a document is not always the best

Last edited by Charlie D; 11-21-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
shoeless
Grade 1

Charlie,Im glad that you found something that works for you that's the main thing.I like the red manual because you also have Doc,Schmidt and Pizzolla chiming in.For me the red manual is not that hard to understand,I know Im in the minority but I thought Hat's 1st book was a easier read then the 2nd.Jeff
Old 11-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Just my opinion Jeff, but if you want to get better at determining Early or OTE, Start with 5 step and then move onto examples in Hat Check

All the best

Last edited by Charlie D; 11-22-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #9
tom
Grade 1

Noting has helped me predict early or OTE like Lil' Cap's recent posts on the subject. Great stuff, really great. I use it regularly now.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
shoeless
Grade 1

Tom,I am unable to post questions there so no sense for me to read the posts but Im glad that it has helped you.