Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
chuckg
Grade 1

Place and Show bets

We know that two win bets outperform single win wagers. Does anybody know if the same strategy applies to place and show bets? Would betting four horses to place or six to show be a viable practice?
chuckg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

anyway welcome to pace and cap
6 horses to show you sure will go to the window often LOL
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
JimG
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg View Post
We know that two win bets outperform single win wagers. Does anybody know if the same strategy applies to place and show bets? Would betting four horses to place or six to show be a viable practice?
By outperform, do you mean win races or make more money? It depends on the price and hit rate of the horses you are betting for either single win bet wagering or 2 separate horses to win to be profitable. I doubt you would profit betting 4 horses to place or 6 horses to show. The takeout on each bet would crush you long term.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
chuckg
Grade 1

By outperform I mean a higher ROI. So, higher profits. I believe it was in the Chaos manual where the two win bet was shown to produce a higher ROI even against the guarantee of one loss per race. I wonder if the same result holds true to the other two positions.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
rmath
Grade 1

Chuckg, I would think that betting two horses to place or show might be profitable to some extent , but using 4 or 6 horses ( in my opinion ) would be cost prohibitive.
A 6 horse show bet at 2.00 each would require a combined 12.00 return on each play just to break even. I have no records of place or show averages but I doubt they would average4.00 to show when the national win average is around 9/2.
Good luck.
rmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg View Post
RE: Place and Show..bet one horse only to P/S. Your best contender (other than the low odds favorite). Then bet the total amount you would allocate for the 4 or 6 horses) say $4 to place and $8 to show. Track it and try it... I think this way it would be more profitable then going with 4-6 horses.

Ernie
SilentRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
partsnut
BetMix User

chuckg:
Quote:
Why and how do we know this?
Quote:
By outperform I mean a higher ROI. So, higher profits. I believe it was in the Chaos manual where the two win bet was shown to produce a higher ROI even against the guarantee of one loss per race. I wonder if the same result holds true to the other two positions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the board. I would have to respectfully disagree with the above statement.
To me the "Chaos Manual' is not the Gospel. Many versed authors will
tell you the complete opposite.
If you wish to believe and subscribe to that way of thinking, I am not faulting you.
In my opinion, one horse win betting and seeking value is the only way to bet.

Merry Christmas

Last edited by partsnut; 12-23-2011 at 07:09 AM.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
chuckg
Grade 1

Good point. How do we really know. The two win bet trials are found on pages 71-72 in the Chaos manual. I looked it up this morning. I see that betting two horses to win is a standard strategy that shows up in the manuals and follow ups.

I did a quick lookback to the last two cards I worked to see if betting two to six horses to show was more profitable than betting just one. Based on the paselines I selected on those days I would have lost more $2's that the $2.20 and $2.40 payouts could ever replenish.

Looking at the results it would seem that had my pacelines been more predictive my $12 would have been better spent on exactas instead of shows.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Re Show betting - I don't have much opinion, and think money would be better spent on Win or Exacta pools. I think the issue is to narrow the focus on true contenders to about 3.

Re multi-horse win betting, I do have an opinion:

If I like the 1 and 1A entry as primary contenders, and the post time odds are 2-1, if the #1 wins, the #1A loses, but my entry bet still pays at 2-1.

If in another race, I like the #1 at 4-1 and the #2 at 7-1 and I bet a synthetic entry of the #4 and #7 - and the #4 wins and the #7 loses, my bet pays ... 2-1, same as the first example. I consider a 2 hose bet as a synthetic entry which has a high and low payoff potential. A normal entry also has a high and low payoff potential - but the high and low are the same amount.

In between the above possibilities, are multi-wagers like Win/Place on 1 horse with a variable high/low payoff, Win on 1 horse, Place on another horse, Place on 2 horses, etc. Consider that it's not important how many horses you are betting, or in which pools, but rather what is your payoff range, your ROI, compared to your risk.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
donmodonnel2000
Maiden

chuckg
If you are interested in place dutching look up Huey Mahl. He was an early positive influence on Howard. In one of the Follow Ups, Howard commented that if he read only the work of Mahl, he would have arrived at his own methodology much faster. Anyway, Huey wrote a couple of great articles on place dutching which I expect you can likely find on the web.
donmodonnel2000 is offline   Reply With Quote