Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 03-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
Fairchild
AlwNW3X

Angry Charles Town

I only have evenings to wager on horses so I am limited on what tracks I can work. Recently I have been trying to figure out Charles Town, do many of you play this track? I am getting very frustrated with it. It seems that too many races are won by horses with no usable lines, those lines being chosen by using the guidelines found in the paceline manual and in the posts submitted by FTL and others. Please tell me that this is an oddball track so I will feel better!!!
Fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Jeebs
Grade 1

CT is a quirky track. Two turn sprints can make for a virtual game of roller derby going into the tight clubhouse turn. Speed is king. All it takes sometimes to wake a horse up is to get it loose on the lead by open lengths. I've seen many implausible longshot runners fit that profile... Unfortunately, those winners usually don't even show an inkling of early speed in the PPs, so it's near impossible to project a wake-up call on numbers alone. 4 1/2F races don't fit well with the Methodology either.

Given the volatile cyclical nature of cheap horses, barns tend to run on extended hot and cold streaks more than your usual racetrack. Pay attention to any possible biases.

In other words, don't play CT like a regular track, because it's not. Pick your spots. Find what works for you. If everything including the kitchen sink fails for you, avoid CT like the plague... Mountaineer, Prairie Meadows, Lone Star and Canterbury are opening soon, which will increase the opportunities for decent night racing.

Last edited by Jeebs; 03-24-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
Mitch44
Grade 1

Jeebs is correct about 4.5 F races. There is no pace in them and its all speed and who can get the best break etc. Stick to races there at 5.5 F and up.

As far as pace lines selection you need to step into the modern era and use the best of the last 3 at a comparable distance and surface. Which was the "Doc's" / Sartin later teachings as he evolved and through testing adapted. If there's not a comparable line in last 3 then go to line 4 etc. I believe its in Follow Up's # 77 & 80.

Sure the last line can win races and given enough bananas so can a trained monkey throwing a dart but you'll win more following Sartin's later teaching then the pace line manual written in 1987. Note: in that manual excuses are still a valid reason not to use the last line, also note the SportStat research in FU # 77 as far as price & winning % which is why he adapted and changed the pace line picking criteria.

I can think of so many reasons why the last line is incorrect that its not worth the time to list them. Welcome to the future and good luck. Adapt and overcome like the "Doc" or perish. Two main keys to winning regardless of which phase you use is picking contenders and pace lines. Sorry CT is not an oddball track.
Good luck.
Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 03-25-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
Bill S
AlwNW3X

Fairchild...I have the same issue you do, I can only play night tracks because I work during the day. Charlestown is a six furlong track and they have those two turn sprints and a lot of 4.5f races. If your having a problem with CT at this time, I suggest you try playing Penn National for a while and then Mountaineer will open around 4/15. I have been playing Penn National now steady for over a year but I'm getting kind of bored with it right now, so I'm waiting for Mountianeer to open up for a change of pace. I'm not saying these tracks will be any easier to play because they have their own issues, but they are both 1 mile tracks.

Like Mitch44 said, the last line is not always the best line to use. I used to have a fetish about using the last line all the time, but after I started getting away from that and having the courage to go down deeper for a better line, my results improved. Listen to some of the stuff Tom Brohamer has to say about paceline selection. That's what really got me to think different

I wish I could play the day tracks but I can only do that on weekends. I live less than a mile away from Parx, I mean I could even walk there, but I can only play it on weekends when I'm not working.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Mitch44
Grade 1

Excellent point Bill S on Pen. Nat. & Mtn. I play them at different times and have found them to be very form full. Much better than the beast of CT because of track layout,4.5 F races, more turns that some horses don't negotiate well etc.

These tracks aren't any different than the major tracks and also produce very some good prices. Regardless of track the main point is to use a consistent procedure for pace lines and contenders.
Mitch44
Old 03-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Bill S
AlwNW3X

Charlestown is a nice track, but it's a bullring, 6.0F, and it takes a bit of skill to play something like that. Not really good if your trying to learn the methodology. I have been playing Penn National almost every night for the last year, and by keeping detailed track profiles and models, I have learned a lot about that track, and better yet tracks in general. It has really helped me progress in the methodology. All those things I see people talking about is cool, like biases and energy disbursement patterns, but when you see it yourself from your own records and experience, it starts to open doors and turn on lights in your head.

I suggest you pick a track, and stick with it for several months and keep at least a track profile. Like at Penn National I can tell when they do something to the track during non-racing days. My models go all to hell after being dead on. I have hit several double-digit horses at Penn National due to information from my track profiles. Without those profiles I would have never hit those horses, I would have discounted them as non-contenders like everyone else did.

What I'm trying to say here is pick one track and stick with it for 6 months to a year. Keep records of what happens there and you will begin to learn a lot of information specific to that track and tracks in general. There have been times Penn National has been cruel to me and beat me down good, but what I have learned from all that is priceless. You can read all the books you want, and read postings all day on this board, but the best (and only way IMO) to learn is to get out there and handicap race after race, day after day. Just keep pounding them, and then one day it will all start to come together for you. Like Dr. Sartin said, the only way to learn this is to get out there and do it.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
Mitch44
Grade 1

Correct again Bill S. Excellent and sound advice!! People do learn by doing better than just reading. Its actually a combination of both that is the ultimate combination with doing comprising or being the most efficient. I.e. about 80%. Learned that in the Army in Methods of Instructions. Its by doing and keeping records that eventually flips that switch and that light bulb of a brain gets it. Regardless of what you use immediately do post mortems to discover mistakes and don't keep repeating them. You'll learn more from that than doing the next days card.
Mitch44
Old 03-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #8
Bill S
AlwNW3X

Yea, I have just began doing post-mortems of races I lose and it really helps out a lot. I have used that exercise to find out what I have been doing wrong, and some of my most sacred precepts about pace line selection have gone up in smoke after doing a post-mortem.

Also as you gain experience go back and re-read the manuals and FU's again. Like when I first read the yellow manual and the pace-line manual, and Dr Sartin's paper on Incremental Velocity and Energy exertion, I didn't understand much of it. Now I go back and most of it is crystal clear now. You'll be surprised how much easier it is to understand. Handicapping is like any other learned thing, it never ends, the process continues for life. You never stop learning and gaining insight and experience.

Last edited by Bill S; 03-25-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
Fairchild
AlwNW3X

I thank all of you for your posts, you all make a lot of sense.
I am finding that I have two basic problems:
1. I am not consistent in either my line selection or my use of RDSS.
I keep jumping all around trying to find what works for me without giving enough time to any approach.
2. I need to be better at keeping records, profiles etc.
It seems I continually hurt myself, I begin doing well and then I change things and have to begin again.
This game can really cause a person to realize their weaknesses.
Fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #10
Bill S
AlwNW3X

Fairchild, I think your getting overwhelmed with everything right now, and that is understandable. I think right now you need to concentrate on pace line selection technique. To do that you need to become proficient in a few basics, and one of the most important ones is Form Cycle Analysis. You do that by using the +, 0, and the (+). The plus, the zero, and the plus within the zero. I'm sure your familiar with this technique or have at least heard it mentioned before.

What you need to do is go out and buy a Daily Racing Form, if you can call it that anymore. Looks more like a comic book these days, but thats another story. Anyway get a racing form and a red medium point pen. Open it to the first track and first race, and then start rating the first horse's pacelines, but do it from the bottom up. Doing it that way will get you to reading the pacelines historically and in the order they took place. This is important to see the form patterns ebb and flow.

Do every horse in that race. When you get done do the next race, and the next after that until you have rated each paceline in the entire card. Yes this is going to take time. Once you have completed the first card, then go back to the first race, go to the first horse, and start looking at the +, 0, and (+)'s. Start following them up from the bottom and you will see patterns.

Look at the + races....what do you see? Look at the race classes. Does the horse only get a plus when it races $7500 claiming races and below? Does the horse only get a plus when it races 8.0f races and above? Before it races a plus race, what happened in the race before? was it a (+) race? Does the horse only get plus's in turf races? Does the horse get plus races when it runs on a wet track, or does it get zeros? These are the kinds of things your going to start to pick up.

Do this for the entire racing form, for every horse. It might take you a week or more to do that, but once your done, your going to have a new understanding of form cycles and what effects them. You will probably never have to mark the form again because you will be able to do this mentally from that point forward. Your going to see patterns of the +, 0, and the (+). This will help you forecast or predict what point in the horse's form cycle it's in. It will also tell you what class level it's competitive in, and what distance/surface it prefers.

This skill is very important to paceline selection. This is going to help guide you to the most appropriate line to select. Thats another thing to understand, there is no right or wrong paceline to select, only the most appropriate for todays conditions. That's a Howard Sartin quote. I think he said it in the paceline manual.