Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Angry Slander @ SartinAlums

The following message appeared at the SartinAlums Yahoo site in the past few days. It comes following a query about TrackMaster beginning to promote RDSS on its website and in promotional emails.

------------------------------------------------
Date: August 27, 2011 11:40:40 PM EDT
To: SartinAlums@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [SartinAlums] Re: RDSS?
Reply-To: SartinAlums@yahoogroups.com

The e-mail was from Trackmaster with a recommendation from Sartin so it seemed legit; I obviously don't know the whole backstory.

--- In SartinAlums@yahoogroups.com, "dyspegia" wrote:

--- In SartinAlums@yahoogroups.com, "xxxxx> wrote:

Has anyone been using the RDSS program from TrackMaster? How does it compare to Val4?

TIM ADDS: RDSS is a combination of Val and Spec. Do you want to pay $100 a year, every year, for it? be my guest as it was stolen from the original programmer Guy Wadsworth

it is not from trackmaster
--------------------------------------------------

I have highlighted the slanderous part of the message. Here is (most of) the email I sent to the moderator, Tim Y in reply:
Tim,
Of course you know full well I did not steal anything from Guy Wadsworth. I did not break into his home or his computer and pilfer Spec and Val code. He gave it to me and asked if I could make something of it, which I did with him before he died, and alone afterwards. I collected thousands of dollars from folks who owed him when he died to pay his final bills. I helped organize a memorial for him, flew to California to attend, paid for his funeral and scattered his ashes at Santa Anita. I have introduced more people to the Sartin Methodology than Guy could ever have hoped to, and helped countless others who thought the Methodology died with Doc resume and improve their experience of horse racing. I have given the Methodology a future with a Windows program of substance, and earned the respect of Doc Sartin and his family for doing so. I pay thousands of dollars per year in royalties to the Sartin Family.
I updated Val3 to Val4. I updated Speculator to Spec160, which you use (at no charge from me) in preference to previous Spec versions now out of date. Your current enjoyment and profit from the Sartin Methodology tools depends, at least partly, on my past efforts.

When Howard sold Validator, or Thoromation or whatever, he charged $500 – $700 for them and more for regular upgrades. It takes me 5 – 7 years to earn that much from subscriptions, upgrading the software all the while at no extra charge and providing technical support. If someone takes time off from racing, they simply don’t renew their RDSS subscription during that period. I only make a successful long term business if my work and support is any good. Guy was never able to do this to anywhere remotely near the same extent.

But I’m sure you know this, and don’t care. You do your readers an extreme disservice by disparaging what became of the work of Guy and Howard, or by discouraging them from even accessing the very same software you yourself use (unless you are handing out Spec160 behind the scenes, which would not surprise me since you do not believe in software copyright).

I feel I need to make this public response because the allegation of theft was also made publicly and new people are hearing about the Sartin Methodology and RDSS all the time, even more so now that TrackMaster has begun modest promotion. A few folks must stumble into SartinAlums (or be long-time members) and wonder what the heck is going on. To them, I ask them to consider this: why has Tim Y been kicked off every other horse-racing community board he has been a member of, except the one he runs himself (along with another gentlemen, and I say those 2 deserve each others' company). The answer will be found in his opening false assertions above.

Anyone can ask me anything about how RDSS came to be, what Guy Wadsworth's or Doc Sartin's participation was. Or anything else. I strive to be transparent, helpful and pleasant.

As to the other recent comments on SartinAlums about my mother from the other moderator (not reproducible in a G-Rated website), it makes me want to cry to think that anyone bears anyone else such ill-will, let alone someone I love as much as I do her. She is not at fault if she chose to learn horse race handicapping, and if she chooses to speak and write proudly about her own success and that of others, and of me and RDSS. My mother is no shill for me - she speaks for herself, as does every other person who posts here, speak for themselves. If the writer of those words had a mother or a friend who was similarly capable, or proud, would he prevent them from speaking their feelings?

Perhaps he has neither. And I feel sorry for him.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 09-03-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling