Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 04-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #51
vderdak
Grade 1

Thanks Bill V
vderdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #52
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V. View Post
Thanks for another helpful lesson
I have a comment about Horse 5 In one of the seminar audios
The pirco group is taking about how once you have your true contenders,
what are some tip offs that a horse might not be ready to match
or improve on the selected pace line.

Horse 5 looks like one of the examples

The horse just won its first try at MNR why would the trainer
sit the horse in the barn for 4 weeks ? I know racing has changed
and the pirco group was probably dealing with the So Cal circuit
but still you would think that after such a nice win they would at least
keep the horse active with a workout ?
as we see the five finished last.

Bill
Bill,

That's a good question. I can't say with any degree of certainty what the reason might have been for keeping the horse in the barn for 4 weeks. I can, however, offer some information that seems reasonable to me.

Let me pose this question. What type of horse works out most frequently, a cheap horse or a top level horse and/or a horse close to top level horses? I think if one took the time to do the research, they would find it is the top level horse and/or close to top level horses that work out most frequently. This take us to the next logical question. WHY? This answer is fairly easy.

In general, cheap horses are cheap horses because they have physical problems. They can't work out frequently like top level horses that are sound do and still be able to maintain a solid racing schedule. Already having physical problems, they would be susceptible to breaking down. A common physical problem is a "bowed tendon". I guess the best explanation I can give is this quote,"Many times, the tendon tissue is torn. A bowed tendon is a horseman's term for a tendon after a horse has sustained an injury that caused the tendon fibers to be torn, and then healed with "bowed" appearance." For anybody who is interested in learning more on this subject, just Google "bowed tendon". You can read more information on it and see pictures of the problem. At any rate, some of these cheap horses that are "bowed" have the real misfortune of being "double bowed". A heavy racing schedule with workouts between races would jeopardize these horses soundness. The horse could breakdown either during a race or during a workout. Each trainer has to "know" the horses in his care and do what is best for them on an individual basis.

You mentioned So.Cal. and the PIRCO Group. So Cal has better horse flesh by comparison to the mid to lower level tracks around the country. So what you see horses do out there really has no bearing on what you see horses do at the mid to lower level tracks. NOTE: Tom Brohamer wrote that So Cal horses have an inflated value. That most of the horses running there in claiming races, as an example, would be running at half the claiming price if they shipped out to some other track. It has been my experience that he was correct or damned close to correct.

Hope this helps.