Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS2 / FAQ's
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS2 / FAQ's Information, discussion, screenshots, videos about the upcoming version, FAQ's

Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
wagercapper
Winner

Win8/MS Surface Tablet

As a side note, I hope the final version of RDSS2 will be compatible with the soon-to-be-released Windows 8. I officially didn't care, since rumor has it that W8 is buggy as hell, but I'm having a problem with Windows 7 and Microsoft which would be resolved by upgrading my copy of XP to Windows 8.

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-13-2012 at 01:45 PM.
wagercapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Paul,

I can't imagine RDSS won't run on Windows 8, but I will be near first in line to pick up a new Microsoft Surface tablet with Win 8 when they're on sale in October.

I tried to set up an environment on one of my computers to run VMPlayer to run the Windows 8 Beta as a virtual operating system, but ran into a few snags (and 6 hours of wasted time). If I can get some time in the next few weeks, I'll try again, otherwise ... Win 8 is the future of Microsoft OS's and will enable us all to run RDSS on convenient, low power tablets at the track, or at the beach! (And run Flash video, live race streams and replays - booo iPad )

best,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
wagercapper
Winner

uh...

The Flash v iPad thing was personal (Steve Jobs was screwed by Adobe).
I fully understand this, as I was just screwed by Adobe over Photoshop CS6.

Somebody really needs to take Adobe and smack them around real hard.

I highly recommend Walter Isaacson's Bio on Steve Jobs. It's a great read - all 800 pages!
wagercapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
malickdo
AlwNW1X

Ted - Have you had any luck confirming RDSS will run on The Microsoft Surface tablet? If so, any thoughts on the tablet itself ... do you like? Any +'s / -'s to share ...

Thanks for sharing ..
malickdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malickdo View Post
Ted - Have you had any luck confirming RDSS will run on The Microsoft Surface tablet? If so, any thoughts on the tablet itself ... do you like? Any +'s / -'s to share ...

Thanks for sharing ..
I don't think RDSS will be able to run on the Microsoft Surface RT, because it does not allow legacy programs, however, i would think it would work just fine on the Microsoft Surface Pro (which does allow legacy programs), which is due out in the new year. I have been very interested in this tablet for obvious reasons, and look forward to the Pro version to be released. The only drawback is, i have herd they will be charging around $1000 for the Pro version, you can get a nice laptop for that price.

Here is a good unbiased review on the Microsoft Surface RT

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/08/mi...tablet-review/
Hoof 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Doug,

What Hoof said! The MS Surface Tablet runs Windows RT (non-intel version of Windows 8), with only the new touch screen UI (aka 'Metro') and no access to the 'Desktop' side (aka Windows 7 and previous). Win 8 does run RDSS just fine - on a desktop computer, or tablet from other hardware vendors designed to run it.

As Hoof mentions, the upcoming Surface Pro tablet running Windows 8 Pro will access the Desktop side and then run all previous Windows programs, including RDSS. We'll have to wait until that time comes (January?) to get some hands-on feedback, at least on the Microsoft Surface tablet. There are other tablets out now running Win8 Pro.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 11-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Windows 8 based tablets running the new Intel Atom Z2760 chip, all of which are capable of running RDSS. Get out your wallets, they won't come cheap!

• · Samsung - Series 5 Slate
  • · Acer - Iconia W510
  • · Asus - Vivo Tab
  • · Dell - Latitude 10
  • · HP - Envy x2
  • · Lenovo - ThinkPad 2
  • · ZTE - V98
  • · Microsoft Surface Pro
Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Microsoft Surface Pro to launch in January

"Panos Panay, General Manager of Microsoft Surface, announced today that the Pro version of the Surface will be available this coming January. The price, as expected, is high at $899 (USD) for the 64GB model and $999 (USD) for the 128GB. Microsoft notes that this price excludes the Touch Cover, but does include “a Surface pen with Palm Block technology.”

The 10.6-inch Surface Pro has some different specs that the RT version, mainly the Intel Core i5 processor, USB 3.0 port, weighs a bit more at just under 2 pounds, supports Pen input, 4GB RAM, and most importantly will run current Windows 7 desktop apps.

We’ve reached out to Microsoft Canada for specific Canadian pricing, probably will have the usual $20 increase on it."

Does seem a bit expensive but after looking at the specs, this is on par with an Ultrabook. It has some serious horsepower under the hood, and i don't think this is meant to compete with other tablets, but with the likes of a Ultrabook or a MacBook Air. It's nice to see they come with a 64Gb and 128GB SSD (lots of storage) and with the i5 and 4GB of ram, it will be able to handle any program thrown at it, no other tablet on the market can compete with these specs. Love it!

Now, i just need to hit a nice Super to pay for it!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Gil,

This sounds like the right tablet for me, especially with the 128 Gb SSD and USB 3. I have a 2 Tb palm sized USB3 external HD and it screams! Entirely sufficient for all non current storage, making the 128 Gb internal storage fair enough size. If I can rig it with a Bluetooth mouse and normal external keyboard and HDMI monitor, it could be a main working computer. (Though, only if it supported a screen res of at least 1050 vertical).

As for a superfecta to fund it, this one would have bought a few: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=35

Woodbine Nov 28, Race 7
Name:  wo1128-7r1.png
Views: 1075
Size:  28.2 KB

If you play supers, I'm sure you would have had it.

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-29-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Hoof 11
Grade 1

I agree Ted, this device will meet all your needs, and in the form of a tablet.

Here are a few more specs that was i able to find.

- It weighs about 2 pounds and measures 0.53 inches thick.

- Its 10.6-inch full HD display has a resolution of 1920 X 1080, when connected to an external monitor through Mini HDMI Port, the Surface with Windows 8 Pro supports resolutions up to 2560 X 1440.

- Full-size USB 3.0

- Micro SDXC card slot

- Micro HDMI Port

- No GPS, No 3G/LTE, No NFC (as we know of so far)

- They are using the Intel "Ivy Bridge" (Generation 3) Core i5 processor, while this is a very fast processor, it's X86 based technology is known to chew up power. The battery is rated for about 6 hours of heavy use and i can only see that getting worse with time.

I would imagine that the Pro has Bluetooth, so you could use a third party mouse and keyboard. Seeing that the Cover/Keyboard is around $120, it adds a hefty price tag to the consumer.

All in your looking at $1265.00

As much as i like the sound of this device, i will probably sit on the fence and see what the reviews are like after it is released. If sales are sluggish like the way they are with the RT, i can see price drops in February or March.