Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS Info, Reference
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS Info, Reference How to obtain RDSS2, get started and learn to use it. (Video and other tutorials)

Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Doc Sartin Recommends RDSS

RDSS is the Modern Sartin Methodology!

by Dr. Howard Sartin (April 30, 2008)

When I was struck ill in 2002, a number of advertisements appeared in the Racing Form and on the Internet claiming to be “just like, the same as or even better” versions of the Sartin Methodology. None were and none could effectively utilize the highly advanced software engineering applied to the altered speed rating and other vital adjustments made by TrackMaster, the only Past Performance data provider I felt worthy of consideration.

Bill Varone’s website, Pace and Cap, maintained the integrity of the Methodology by posting information and help. This brought me into contact with Ted Craven, a brilliant Windows computer programmer who spent a great deal of time with TrackMaster’s people to reconcile my methodology circa 2001 with their subsequent advances. Craven did not stop there. He obtained the formulae for every readout and diligently studied the concept behind each readout category. He quantified each one into a symphony called RDSS (Racing Decision Support System). Users wrote Ted and to me that it combined the best of Phase 1, Phase 3, Ultrascan, Energy and Validator.

I am particularly pleased that the Bottom Line/Betting Odds Line, introduced in my later software and proven effective in real-world studies by the likes of Mark Cramer and others, retains a central role in RDSS. This readout alone produces double digit winners as testified by dozens of users. Because I insisted that all tests of RDSS produce results of wins that paid $9.00 or more, I received many packets of readouts from handicappers, ranging in ability and geography, that paid as high as $51.00 and ranked in the top 2.

Ted Craven, a winning handicapper himself, has produced a computer program that includes the best of my output together with his own interpretations, plus a quantified representation of “The Matchup” as derived from the genius of the late Jim “The Hat” Bradshaw. To enable “pattern recognition”, the program has readouts and vital graphics that allow the user to look at several lines for a horse and then hide all but the line that most represents the contenders most competitive line in today’s match up.

For 24 years, Jim was my best friend, Methodology teacher, and, during the most productive times, my computer programmer. I would spend a month each year in Oklahoma and would produce advances in computer handicapping ahead of the capacity of imitators to catch up. Bradshaw handicapped so many thousands of races with our programs that his unique and insightful brain was able to successfully predict winners without a computer. Enter: the “Matchup”.

Jim’s focus was on pattern recognition, velocity relative to deceleration and on how a horse ran fast, rather than how fast a horse could run. Jim also specialized in getting the Win horse. The Hat’s ‘voodoo’ mind could not itself be computerized, but Ted has improved on my old V/DC readout to its ultimate potential. V/DC is Velocity tempered by Deceleration, viewed by users as the key to handicapping Valhalla, bringing all the in-the-money horses into much sharper focus.

RDSS has been described by its users as a “can’t lose” program and this echos my own evaluation. I’ve watched the program grow to maturity for over a year and it is, without doubt, the very best tool ever provided for computer handicapping. The greatest obstacles to winning are the selection of worthy contenders, pacelines and mutuel payouts. These obstacles can be readily overcome by handicapping veterans and novices alike through the software’s built-in instructions, video tutorials, website forum, live online seminars and telephone support, backed by TrackMaster’s Past Performance and Chart data, and always by one’s own diligent effort.

The torch has been passed. RDSS is making it burn more brightly than ever. In any economic future it will produce higher win percentages and mutuels than ever before. Were I not bed ridden, I would be standing next in line to get this program. Congratulations Ted on a truly magnificent piece of work – the future of the Sartin Methodology!

Name:  sartin2.gif
Views: 3979
Size:  5.3 KB

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Doc handwrote or dictated every word of this, and it is both comforting and rather disconcerting to observe that he has lost none of his tendency to speak plainly, with grand words and perhaps not without a touch of hyperbole.

I'm not sure if RDSS is yet all he speaks of, or even the best handicapping software out there, but he seems happy that his work is being carried forward into the future, and to me, knowing of his satisfaction is the greatest thanks I can give for the many gifts he has given me and countless others over his long career.

Thanks Doc, and I will try to make RDSS something you can always be proud of.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
uncleroughy
AlwNW3X

Congratulations Ted, you deserve all those wonderful things our dear Doc Sartin said about you.
uncleroughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Thumbs up

Nice to hear from The Doc.

VoodooFan
VoodooFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
dogkatcher
Grade 1

Doc, you haven't lost a step, pure elegance. Best of health to you, and sincere condolences on the loss of your dear friend Jim.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:14 AM   #6
stormbringer
Grade 1

Thumbs up Great To Hear From Doc!

SOUNDS JUST LIKE THE OLD FOLLOW UP WITH THE DOC! GREAT TO HEAR FROM HIM. TED RDSS IS A GREAT PROGRAM AND I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR IT AND LETTING ME BE A TESTER WHAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT IT IS IT COMES WITH YOU AS SUPPORT 24/7,VERY FEW TIMES HAVE HEARD YOU SAY NO TO ANYBODY WITH A REQUEST.BUT THATS NOT ALL YOU GET WITH THIS PROGRAM THERE IS PACE AND CAP WITH THE GREATEST MINDS IN HANDICAPPING THAT WILL HELP IF YOU ASK. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. AND TED, ... can i have a Tshirt please.
STORM
I MISS DOC.
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
socantra
Grade 1

Congratulations, Ted. A very well deserved tribute from the master, of which you must be very proud.

Dick
Old 05-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
Houndog
Grade 1

RDSS Kudos

Ted, what Doc has said so eloquently about RDSS is well deserved. I have seen you make this program into a very formidable handicapping tool that all familiar with the Sartin Methodology can benefit from.

I want to Thank-You for all of your hard work. You are always willing to listen to suggestions and try to incorporate them if they are practical. RDSS has come a long way since the very first screenshots that I saw from this program.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
So Cal Al
So Cal Al

Send a message via AIM to So Cal Al
Ted, I will echo the accolades you so richly deserve. You have demonstrated your expertise as a programmer and handicapper time and again. Doc is right on point, as usual. Keep up the great work!
Al
So Cal Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
alydar_ David
Grade 1

I say...jolly good show, old bean!
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote