Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

1st Day on RDSS

What follows is my day yesterday. The bets were made on the basis of what was on the screen and I'm certainly not trying to make myself out as anything other than a newbie to the software and the methodology.

I'd set myself the target date of Sunday 2nd Oct to download and look at the Woodbine card. I wasn't sure whether I was ready or not based on reading to date etc, but Ted had advised me to just get started as an aid to learning, so I took the plunge.

I didn't bother reading the FAQs of course and encountered a couple of problems that I was subsequently able to put right. There was also a flurry of emails to Ted for guidance, who was particularly helpful, especially considering it was Sunday & I'm sure had plenty of other things to concern himself with.

I was ready to begin half an hour before the first race & was actually disappointed to see that it was a race I would have to pass. Upon going through the card I realised that there were only four races I could work with. After looking at the first of these I was very happy that I only had four to go at. I now had the time to take a considered approach to each race.

Luckily I had the Woodbine track feed running online and so as I knew the turf races were switched to the poly.

Whilst I've done some reading & listening to the mp3s it's hard to know exactly what I have & haven't picked up, but going back to a point Howard makes on the Propaceline tapes about not intellectualising things too much and just doing it, I figured that for day one this would be as good an approach as any. I liked the style of the RDSS videos where Ted & Richie take a very relaxed approach and so aimed to adopt the same style. This became more so the further through the races I got.

For the pacelines I just went with the most recent where I could, only going back if there was trouble, or I wanted a poly line (instead of turf) or if the distance was too far away in my opinion. Interpreting the information in RDSS I just went with the flow, very easy. BL/BL & the corollaries being the main indicator and using Energy etc to help with eliminations.

All my bets were done on betfair. I backed two horses in each race, except the last where I backed three as the odds were high enough and as my third rated choice was available around 25/1 I didn't want to miss out. I also layed two horses to lose.

Of the four races I bet, I won three. The highest odds horse being at 17/1. All in I increased the bank I allocated by just over 120%. This was betting 10% per race split 50/50.

I'm not naive enough to think everyday will be like this, but what an introduction! RDSS is easy to navigate. Simply watching the introductory videos gives you all the information you need.

Something else I began the day with was also addressing the psychology of winning aspect. Before I began I believed.

I can't say a big enough thank you to Ted, Bill & Richie for the work they have done on this site.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
lsosa54
Grade 1

Nice work Dave. Keep your method consistent through the highs and the lows and you will be fine.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

Thanks Isosa.

Just reading it back when I said very easy I meant nice & relaxed, not that I thought everything was very easy!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

1st bet of the night. 3 & 6 Race 5 Delaware. This software & methodology are just in a different gear! 3 wins after inquiry $70.40
Old 10-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveEdwards View Post
1st bet of the night. 3 & 6 Race 5 Delaware. This software & methodology are just in a different gear! 3 wins after inquiry $70.40
Dave,

When you're done for the night or get a moment, it would be interesting to know how you landed on #3 (e.g. final contenders, their lines chosen, Configuration you are using, etc).

If you bet it, congratulations!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 10-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

No problem Ted,

I'll email you the lines I chose just incase they were a bit silly etc & it was a fluke!

The two short price selections were the choices, but I just eliminated them as per the methodology where the price was too low and went with the next two.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
mikesal57
Grade 1

Yes...I would love to see this one....
his best line was over 300 days ago and even with that line, hes not near the top
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

Ouch!

Please find below my email to Ted. As I clearly said, I'm still finding my feet with this. If it was an accident etc then so be it. This was merely intended to be a thread about my initial experiences using the software. If I'm going to be the subject of ridicule I'll end it.

.....................................................................................

Hi Ted,

I did indeed back the horse.

The pacelines I selected were as follows:

Delaware Race 5
Horse Number: Race Back:
1 1
2 1
3 2
4 1
5 2
6 1
7 3
8 2

Horses 3 & 5, I was forced to go back to the second line as there was no sectional times & therefore no other information.

As for the settings I have stayed with your recommended configuration. I can't say that I would be anyway near knowing enough to alter anything just yet.

In terms of final contenders, I'm a little reluctant to eliminate horses too hastily. As you know one of the benefits of betfair is the option to lay horses to lose and so I'm looking to see if there are any uncompetitive horses in the lower odds ranges.

Horses 1 & 5 above were the clear selections on the BL/BL & corollaries, but as the odds on betfair were below 5/2 for the both I just eliminated them and backed the next two, which were the 3 & 6. I was also watching the track feed and the 3 was clearly a ready horse. I have read works by Joe Takach and watched his video, as recommended in one of the follow ups by The Doc. This is the only addition to the methodology that I have looked into for US racing.

Once it banged out of the stalls I knew I was on a "live on", it treaded water a little on the stretch, but held on well enough.

As I said on the posting I initially made, I'm very much still finding my feet, but as I'm sure you can imagine, enjoying every minute!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Correct me if I misrepresent anything (using RDSS2):

Name:  del1004-5.png
Views: 763
Size:  169.2 KB

Name:  del1004-5cht.png
Views: 736
Size:  53.2 KB

You hid (or made non-contenders for Win betting) the 2 favourites < 2-1, resulting in the ordering shown in BLBL, then chose the #6 and #3 (#7 looked terrible in its last 2 races).

FWIW, the #3 showed serious signs of life last out, pressing for the lead and now he's hustled back in 13 days (while he's still fit?). And although the timer malfunctioned (video splits show 27.0? 51.3? 1:17 1:40.4 145) it likely pressed early fractions of 23+ 48+ easily enough to get the lead today (which it did). It's 9th and 10th lines show it can run fast enough, but it has been out of form for so long before its last race.

A bold move - eliminating BOTH those top ranked favourites from Win position. Sometimes it works and you collect, more often one of them nips you.

Also, FWIW, I don't see ridicule in Mike's post, just skepticism, which has its place. Your explanation was straightforward, thanks. I hope you are able to apply a consistent approach.

Congrats!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 10-04-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

Ted,

After the eliminations I have BL scores of
6 - 23.50
3 - 17.00
7 - 16.50

With the 3 second ranked.

Perhaps my elimination of the two favourites was rather optimistic on reflection. I just did it figuring that as they were too low to back I shouldn't use them! Maybe my naivety did accidently work in my favour & the ideal choice was to pass!

Off to bed now.