Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 03-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbulator View Post

Why is the price going up to $2.00 for a single card with RDSS?
Steve,

The answer is: so I can make some money from this project! At $1.00 per card I make nothing. At $1.50 per card (20 cards/$30+), I make a little something. The $100/year subscription alone is also not enough. From the combination of an annual fee plus a share of data, I think I might make enough for this to be interesting to me. ( I put a lot of work into this).

Perhaps you are asking what value you get from the extra $1.00/card you pay for RDSS data (or extra .50 or less, depending on how much data you buy)? I'm not prepared to do a sales pitch right here in this particular post, but, if you think there is any value in having Validator or Speculator, or the concepts underlying the modern Sartin Methodology in a modern Windows platform, with a good record keeping tool (a database), internet connection, Match Up tools, nice screens, etc - well, I hope I have added some value there. Plus you are not compelled to commit to $120-140/month ongoing for data to use it.

If your assessment is that the $1.00 TrackMaster PDF report is good enough, or if Validator (or Speculator) is good enough, then the $1.00/card price for those tools may continue to work for you, and no need to pay extra for RDSS or its data. However, I think there is so much more potential to put together a whole 'handicapping studio', if you will, based around those ideas, and RDSS is my attempt at that, first for myself, and then for anyone who wishes to share and help evolve it.

Let me know if that answers your question.

yours,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 03-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #12
Dumptruk
Grade 2

I believe that the pricing plan offered is more than fair. It allows people that don't download that many cards to use the software, unlike some other programs that use data sold on a monthly plan.

My question is, if the chart option is taken, will RDSS be able to create a model based on the charts?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
Turbulator
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Steve,

The answer is: so I can make some money from this project!

Let me know if that answers your question.

yours,

Ted
That answers my question.

I have one more. I've heard from several different places that the Trackmaster numbers aren't very good. I know a lot of people that are disappointed with them, so they won't use them. They use something else.

How do you feel about this? In your opinion are they inferior, slightly inferior or are they superior numbers?

Old 03-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #14
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumptruk View Post
I believe that the pricing plan offered is more than fair. It allows people that don't download that many cards to use the software, unlike some other programs that use data sold on a monthly plan.

My question is, if the chart option is taken, will RDSS be able to create a model based on the charts?
I certainly envision that, in due course. Before a full native-to-RDSS modeling module exists, will be export of data to XLS, CSV, XML, etc, so while waiting for what RDSS comes up with for modeling, you can export pertinent data (e.g. pacelines for a given race, aka Results) to your own or 3rd party tools.

In the long run, whatever you would seek to do with TrackMaster (or other sourced) Result Charts, you can do (and much cheaper, check the pricing) with TM's RDSS Results.

Again, not sure which functionality will be there for Version 1.0 but as I said, after that point, I'll just keep on going. Results may not come into their own full usefulness until a bit later, but they are there, and well priced, IMO.

Full Result Charts will be available for downloading for 45 days rolling.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 03-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
I've heard from several different places that the Trackmaster numbers aren't very good. I know a lot of people that are disappointed with them, so they won't use them. They use something else.

How do you feel about this? In your opinion are they inferior, slightly inferior or are they superior numbers?
Steve,

I presume the raw data about what happened in horses' past performances is identical, coming from Equibase equally for all data providers, although I have seen a DRF final time of 1:12.2 (fifths) reported by TrackMaster as 1:12.6 (tenths) when the actual final time was 1:12.55 (hundredths). In this example (due to DRF rounding down to the nearest fifth), I'd say the TrackMaster reported data was more accurate.

Aside from raw data, later Sartin programs use DTV and ITV, supplied by TrackMaster, and I have no personal complaint with these numbers, nor the way they are calculated. However, I imagine only a (say) hundred race comparison of the same variant data from different vendors would even approach a fair response as to whether one vendor's variants worked to adjust raw data better or worse than another's, and even then we don't simply wager on the top ranked horses, we seek value.

I have yet to see any study, on any basis other than anecdotal, that proves that another vendor's data is superior to TrackMaster's, in the aggregate. I would welcome, though, such a serious study, comparing the output from different software using, for example, HDW, BRIS and TrackMaster data.

I think it matters most how any given software program manipulates the supplied data, more than the particular data itself. And further, I've observed more than several individuals write to me saying Speculator (for example) failed to get a winner into a bettable position when either I myself won the same race or had others write glowingly about the same race, having used different pacelines, omitted a non-contender, or forgiven a particular horse's apparent failing. After raw data, and software manipulation of that data, comes the individual's interpretation of all that, then wager selection, and I think it's in those final steps where success lies.

Steve, in short, I have good faith in TrackMaster's data, though your mileage may vary. Ultimately, the proof will lie in the pari-mutuel results.

yours,

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 03-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #16
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
In addition, if you subscribe to Results and are connected to the Internet, RDSS will fetch the Mutuel results of a race on a real-time basis, shortly after it is official. This will feed into RDSS record keeping and wager sizing tools.
Ted

Dealing only with FACTUAL things has any SERIOUS player read what is written above man?

THIS will make RDSS the ONLY real time (race to race) updated db software that is commercially available.

Hdw
Bris
Tsn

all have to WAIT to get results into a software til the card is FINISHED to the best of my knowledge. If this is true then what is being described above can and WILL give the SERIOUS player a definite EDGE over the competition.

RDSS will allow IMMEDIATE DB real time results entry and re evaluation of model/data trends.

Or more simply

AN EDGE OVER THE COMPETITION

Richie
Old 03-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #17
Houndog
Grade 1

Modeling In Real Time

I assume this is something that will come in the future and when it happens it will be a boon to Handicappers that are adverse to keeping records. It will sure be better than making a bunch of spreadsheets to track what is working.

This is probably not easy for Ted to program, but it will be a first for a program of this type. This is a strong selling point for me.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
socantra
Grade 1

Quote:
I've heard from several different places that the Trackmaster numbers aren't very good. I know a lot of people that are disappointed with them, so they won't use them. They use something else.

I think many people have heard about troubles with Trackmaster, but I have had no particular trouble with them. Most of the stories I have heard involve empty files or trouble with file format and structure and come from some years ago, even before Equibase owned the company. Validator had a menu choice to fix or repair files, but I have never had to use it.

Equibase supplies the bulk of the Track programs with Trackmaster data and I suspect they have spent some time trying to ensure the quality of the product.

As far as the proprietery data like speed ratings, etc, I have seen no particular evidence that they are any better or any worse than the other providers. They are right sometimes and wrong sometimes, but that's the nature of computerized ratings.

HDW claims to scrub their data better than others, but they make no provision for the part time player in their pricing. Besides, the software was written for Trackmaster and would take major revamping to work with another provider.

I have had misgivings about the new pricing and data and have discussed them with Ted several times. I'm still not entirely happy about it but I think Ted has gone to extrordinary lengths to negotiate a deal that provides a number of plusses to go with the minuses.

The possibilities of this emerging tool are exciting, and the data provider is owned by the company that provides raw data to everyone in the business. I'm in.

Dick...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #19
JimG
Grade 1

After reading what Ted has put together with Trackmaster regarding pricing it seems to be very fair to Ted and the customer. Ted obviously should make some money for all the time and effort he has put into creating and future support of the product. A big plus to the deal is the user does not have to commit to a big monthly bill if he/she is a part-time and small player.

Congrats Ted on keeping the data cost affordable for the modest player. As someone who has spent $7 a file for data while committing to a minimum expense of $100 a month, this is a nice alternative for all players.

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 03-29-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 AM   #20
admin
Administrator

$1.00 per card

Ted When I first started downloading It was with Pace Luancher 4
With a TM download. Cost per card $1.00 That was 1997 !!!
For 10 years Trackmaster has been charging me $1.00 a card
I never thought about it till when I saw the new price plan
When I think about what a cup of coffee and a gallon of gas cost
two other things I buy every day I have to say that
The cost for the TM data has been fair for ten years
I have no problem going up to $1.50

Good Skill

Bill