Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
dlivery
Grade 1

Thumbs up Betting Help

Hi

Ouch

I have seem to run into a some what a least over the short while not betting place and show and seeing some of my returns left on the table for place and show is there some thing I can do to cure this it may sound sort of crazy I'm a win return player and I can,t get this out of the system.

Larger than large dividends in the place and show mutuels or is this a cycle I'm entering into.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlivery View Post
Hi

Ouch

I have seem to run into a some what a least over the short while not betting place and show and seeing some of my returns left on the table for place and show is there some thing I can do to cure this it may sound sort of crazy I'm a win return player and I can,t get this out of the system.

Larger than large dividends in the place and show mutuels or is this a cycle I'm entering into.
Hello dlivery,

You can try betting place and show (in addition to win) as a hedge.
I do this in the following ratio: 1unit on win, 2x's on place and 3x's the amount of place on show. The lowest amount would be $18 (2, 4, 12)
In this way if the horse shows and pays $3.00 you would at least break even.
Or you can hedge by just betting W/P or W/S.

Ernie
SilentRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Here's something else to consider. I think it originally came from The Yellow Manual. If your horse is 9/2 add a place bet. If your horse is 6-1 add a show bet.

For example, suppose you're betting $12 a race.

You bet $6 to win on your low odds horse.

Then you have $6 left to bet on your higher priced horse. If he's 9/2 you'd bet $3 to win and $3 to place. If he's 6-1 or better you'd bet $2 to win, $2 to place and $2 to show.

Over the long haul you won't make as much as betting 50%/50%. But in the short run it may help you establish a bankroll. And just as important it may work wonders for your psyche. Cashing tickets makes you feel good. And when you feel good about yourself you generally perform better than when you're in a funk.
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote