Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 10-28-2022, 11:09 PM   #1
Henrio
AlwNW3X

losing streak

Hi friends, have you faced the problem of losing streak? If so, how do you solve it?
Henrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 12:36 AM   #2
ranchwest
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrio View Post
Hi friends, have you faced the problem of losing streak? If so, how do you solve it?
Are you keeping records? Can't help you if you don't know what your patterns are.

Is your general style to hit at a low percentage or high percentage (usually longshots or low priced)? In other words, if you have a longshot style, you should expect some losing streaks.

Do you still have confidence in what you are doing? How long have you been on your current handicapping process? Do you have a process?

Are you using modern software?

Have you ever considered coaching, either for handicapping or the mental approach?
ranchwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 12:38 AM   #3
DanBoals
Grade 1

Quote:
Oh hell yes!

My biggest problem is betting, not handicapping. And yes, I have a unique talent of zigging when I should zag and zagging when I should zig.

Records, records, records. Whenever I get off track, I look at my records. If you do not keep records, you are not ever going to be a pro. All pros keep records.

I spent like 5 weeks working with Howard back in 2000 working on fixing problems with Synthesis. He told me when he first was getting started, he and one of his clients went to Tijuana to bet. They decided to stay until they could turn their $100 into $200. Every day they would hit the track with their printouts and proceed to bet the last race instead of the methodology. He said they had some drunk locals sitting behind them who made a small fortune betting the read outs over their shoulders. Finally on the last night, they would throw up the past races and pick up 10+ read outs and in every case, they showed a profit. That convinced him to just trust the read outs.

The first 15 Follow Ups on the site here have lots of good advice on this. Lots of people start out strong, hit a bad streak and then completely change what they do. Howard talks about this in the Psychology of Winning columns. Calls it the Sisyphus syndrome, after the guy who pushed the boulder up the hill over and over just to have it roll down again and have to start all over.

The key is records. Bet what your records show is profitable.

Pittsburg Phil said one time he lost 29 races in a row, and then made all his losing up in 2 wins. Bet less when you are losing and more when you are winning.

Hang in there, we all hit bumps in the road. Even Howard did.

Keep records, read the old Follow Ups, don't be afraid to pass.

Dan
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 02:59 AM   #4
Henrio
AlwNW3X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
Are you keeping records? Can't help you if you don't know what your patterns are.

Is your general style to hit at a low percentage or high percentage (usually longshots or low priced)? In other words, if you have a longshot style, you should expect some losing streaks.

Do you still have confidence in what you are doing? How long have you been on your current handicapping process? Do you have a process?

Are you using modern software?

Have you ever considered coaching, either for handicapping or the mental approach?
My problem is that my pick always finishs on 2nd and 3rd place, and I bet them on win only.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:43 AM   #5
DanBoals
Grade 1

This might be a silly question, but why not bet your pick to show?

Howard was a big believer in place and show betting. There was another guy named Ziemba that had a system for in the money horses.

This website has all the old manuals and the old follow ups for free. This is a tremendous resource that Ted is making available to us all for free. Please take advantage of this.

I would start with the yellow manual. Then factor analysis and phase 4, then tandems and 55 percent solution. Then pacelines and matchup the red manual. Then start with follow up #1 and read those.

If you understand the kelley criterion and can pick show horses, you can make money. With kelley it will build your bankroll pretty quick, if you stick to it and keep records on your average show mutuel and your hit rate.
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 05:58 AM   #6
Henrio
AlwNW3X

Thanks
Old 10-29-2022, 10:31 AM   #7
tom
Grade 1

Clear your mind.
Take a day off, a week off.
Read a book that has nothing to do with racing.
See a movie in a theater,
Go fishing.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 11:45 AM   #8
ranchwest
Grade 1

Quote:
My problem is that my pick always finishs on 2nd and 3rd place, and I bet them on win only.
In the Follow Up's, Howard Sartin pointed out that there is a difference between picking winners and picking horses for other positions. So, if your picks are running second or third, then to make money, you must change the way you pick winners or bet your picks to finish below the win position. Trust your records... they will almost always lead you in the right direction.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:07 PM   #9
ranchwest
Grade 1

Also, are you using all or part of the selection method that I believe was by Richie. Where the Prime Power, CSR, etc. are used?
Old 10-30-2022, 12:29 AM   #10
Henrio
AlwNW3X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
Also, are you using all or part of the selection method that I believe was by Richie. Where the Prime Power, CSR, etc. are used?
No, I use dos energy program to select paceline.