Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You?
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Hat Check - How Can We Help You? Jim 'The Hat' Bradshaw - Learn The Matchup

Old 02-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
RichieP
Grade 1

Patience

From Wilkpedia:
Patience is the ability to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset, or to persevere calmly when faced with difficulties.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over a year ago Hat asked me what MY specific goals and wants from racing were. I answered him with one word "Money".

He told me straight up "Rich then you need to NOT do what I do and play all the dang races at tracks. You need to multi-track and wait for races that show absolute "locks" to you and SPOT PLAY those only at 2/1 and above".

Now I want to show 2 winning spot play "locks" from last night's play (why I continue to play day tracks and lose is beyond me. Capetosto is not cutting it anymore. Just being a real dumbass to be honest. No mas.)

Before I show the 2 wins let me describe 3 LOSSES on horses I also considered absolute locks man:
1) Friday night's Sam Houston race that Mike laid out. I had 3 matching earlies(1,4,11) my absolute favorite spot play. Threw them out and matched around a 22.1 1st call and thought the #12 was a lock. Showed 2 races against that pace and sat 4th and 5th positionally at 1c in them. There is my horse. Goes off 13/1,never lifted his legs and I lose and move on. I'd make the same bet again.

2) Yesterday's Sam Davis stakes at Tampa Bay. I absolutely LOVED the #7 on a stretch out. He was by far the fastest horse in the race to me and could win running anywhere from 2nd to 4th position. Goes off 4/1 and loses. I STILL love the horse and he lost. Give me the race again and I bet the same horse. This is what Hat means by a "lock" ok?

3) Yesterday's finale at Aqueduct. Race packed with early and the #5 is fast and other than early. He's off 5 months coming to today's race. Obscure jock,trainer. Blah blah blah. Who gives a crap. That's "handicapping". We matchup horses down here in "Hat Check". Goes off 27/1 and does nothing.Next time when that horse shows himself again to me I bet him again. He will have a different name next time but it will be the SAME HORSE. A Lock.

So there are 3 losses. Spot play "lock" losses.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patience:
Patience is the ability to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset, or to persevere calmly when faced with difficulties.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
RichieP
Grade 1

Now for the 2 wins I wanted to show you.

SAME spot play principals at work. Good results this time.

Look at this race screen shot from Delta last night please.Is there any doubt whatsoever that the #1 is absolute lone early and faces NO pressure at any point in the race? An "Early" lock man.

Now look at the result chart.

Patience:
Patience is the ability to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset, or to persevere calmly when faced with difficulties
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
bobp
Grade 1

Nice work. I love going to Delta . Its a real nice Clubhouse with great steaks and Cajun food. Plus I can play it from home every night they run .
Old 02-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
RichieP
Grade 1

Now for an "Other than early" win from Delta. Yea he gets put up on DQ but he wins.

Look at the screen shot please. You have a lead horse #1 who can NOT hold it all the way as insane pressure is present from the 8,9 and 10. So the race shape winner should be "Other than early".

Now watch this. The 8,9 and 10 are ALL 2nd position horses. Ok only ONE of them actually can run 2nd unless there is a fight amongst themselves.

Hat told me to watch for races like this. Says they all can and will get caught up fighting among them selves and the early (#1) and that THESE races are the ones that a deeper closer can and will win. Key is to find a FAST one.

LOOK at the #5 now. ONLY horse "away" from the action going on early in the race. Is he fast? Look at the 1st call of his race. FASTER than proj pace of #1 the early. He then runs Positionally 5-3-2-2. Bingo there is my horse.

Result chart shows just how right the Hat was about these race types with the #5 closing like a runaway freight train getting the win off a deserved DQ at a very nice price.

A race with an 'Other than early" lock.

So here are 3 losses and 2 wins to share with you. All occurred in the last 24 hours so it's current man.

Patience and Jim Bradshaw's Matchup principals.

Take care,
Richie
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
JimG
Grade 1

Nicely done RichieP. A prime example of letting the bet come to you.

Jim
Old 02-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
He told me straight up "Rich then you need to NOT do what I do and play all the dang races at tracks.
Good teachin, Richie.

Big problem to get out the back of our subconscious :

We wanna grow up an be like THE HAT.

We simply can't do what THE HAT does , cause there's only one HAT.

Nice examples, especially the " multiple 2nd horses fighting , look for a deep closer " play.

VoodooFan
Quote:
"Richie never 2nd guesses, or ask "what if", but learns the concept I am teaching. This is one why he has learned and he is one of my best students. He is my pride and joy and best pal."
Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw
Old 02-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Rich, I betcha the races you lost and show Mr. Bradshaw, some are, as you
call'em, "stupid mistakes" and he shows why you should've won....

Some maybe more ADVANCED applications of the spot plays and premises
he already showed and can "sometimes" point out some things....

BUT..., theres some of those races that he can't explain, put into words,
or form a specific and consistant Modus Operendi of how to win these
type races or even if that race "fit's" a catagory that consistantly
comes up from time to time......

I would hazzard to guess the races , you lost, half the time, he would
have won 1 to 2 out of the 3 you lost, but could pose no consistantly
usable explanation , am I right?

Because in some of his race examples, how do explain as a method :

A foreign horse who has no lines, but has "comment" in several lines that
he "LED" and there is no other Early horse in the race...

In the Sartin Methodology Today workbooks, he "created a virtual line"
from a foreign horse with only "ONE" fraction.....

Eliminated a horse because 99% of the time, this jockey ALWAYS forces a
horse to the LEAD , despite his running style...

And it goes on and on, just to say this.....

He MAY be able to explain this, as he explained concepts to you to present
in the 8 month update, and 1 year update.....

But at a later future date when it becomes a quantifiable
pattern that can be nailed down & consistantly percieved and
mathematically explained ,so as a MatchUp tool and operation can be
formed /fleshed out from such instinctual perceptions from a game
with both finite and infinite combinations a variables.....

Horses are living , breathing animals, not subjegated to confirm to
any mathematics known and unknown ,because life is ever
evolving and changing.

VoodooFan
Quote:
"Richie never 2nd guesses, or ask "what if", but learns the concept I am teaching. This is one why he has learned and he is one of my best students. He is my pride and joy and best pal."
Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw
Old 02-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
RichieP
Grade 1

Voodoo:
Just a few comments bout your last post.

You are right.There is only ONE Hat. I am NOT a 50% player. Not 40% either. I'm talking spot plays now ok? I really do NOT look back on losing races and Jim does NOT critique or look at races I lost.

I'm winning consistently at Mnr-Ded-Ct-Tp. Hammering the **** out of those 4 tracks. The only night track I am losing at is Sam Houston and there I am getting my freaking ass kicked so I stopped playing there as of 2 nights ago.

Day tracks are a disaster for ME.I never seem to "feel" anything man and when I do I'm wrong. At night I pick horses,they win and the following day when I look at the race I have NO freaking idea how the hell I picked him.Jim laughs and says that's exactly how it should be because that happens with him all the time!

Hat tells me it has to do with my Cherokee birthday animal the Cougar. He says they are night stalkers/hunters who lay low and relax in the daylight. He told me my play and such are exactly the same as my "totem". I know some might chuckle but I am being totally honest and sincere as to what goes on here.

I have seen Jim do this thing with foreign horses you write about. Did it one day with me when we were playing Keeneland together "live" on the phone.He actually scared the crap outa me cause I didn't know what the hell he was doing! he just told me " Rich watch the race.You'll see the 4 go for the lead and win"(That was the foreign horse with no fractional times). Race runs and that horse does just what he says and wires at like 4/1 or 9/2.

I said to him after "Hat what the hell did you just do?". he just laughted and said "the Matchup Rich".

Old 02-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
Voodoo:

At night I pick horses,they win and the following day when I look at the race I have NO freaking idea how the hell I picked him.Jim laughs and says that's exactly how it should be because that happens with him all the time!
Wow, thats got to be a good feeling.

Milestone to MatchUp mastery, Rich, you're passin'em.

VoodooFan

*** Not by along shot Voodoo. But it sure is a heck of a time trying!*** RichieP
Quote:
Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw

Last edited by RichieP; 02-17-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
MIKE1121
Grade 1

Richie.

The night tracks you are winning at are among the best paying, I love Ct and DED and MNR, they have a lot of races paying over 5-1 and up.

I do my betting at the track , I only go after the day tracks are done, when the crowd has thinned out, I just can't concentrate in a loud and busy enviornment. Being a late night person ,I am able to make better decisions the latter it gets. Some folks are day people and some are creatures of the night.

It sounds like you have found your solution, many people never do so congrats.

Mike.