Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Remote Access on a iPad?

Hi
I was wondering if anyone was using a remote access app for the iPad? I have been checking out a few different apps as well as VPN, LogMeIn looks to be a good app but there is a free version and a $99 version, not sure which one to choose...... you cant beat free!

First and foremost i would like to know if anyone has had success running RDSS on a remote app? If so is it smooth or clunky?

I like the idea of remotely accessing RDSS without having to drag a laptop to the track.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hoof,

I have been using a remote desktop connection (from my PC) to a server-based RDSS daily, and for years. I demoed this last year in Saratoga, and last month in Las Vegas. If your server (or other Windows computer to which you are connecting) is fast, and if your internet connection is average high-speed (e.g. HSPA in Toronto) I get a near desktop responsiveness and appearance.

I have used a TeamViewer.com connection app on an Android 5" phone to do the same, but the screen is too small to be really useful. But TeamViewer is a great tool, and it's free. It's what I use for remote trouble-shooting and tutorial sessions and will encourage folks to install if they wish to participate in upcoming online meetings and seminars.

I ordered my New iPad last week and should have it early April. Aside from GarageBand and all the other neat toys, my main aim is to connect to my remote cloud server running RDSS2, via TeamViewer. I will also connect to any other Desktop running Windows and RDSS via my iPad (e.g. yours ).

Several folks have been experimenting with connecting their iPads (and Android tablets) to RDSS on various of their PC or Mac (running Windows) computers. I expect them to come out of the closet any day now

When I get my new toy, I'll post some photos. But anyone with an iPad (or Android tablet) can do it now, using TeamViewer or a host of other remote connection apps.

And there are some Win7-based tablets (e.g. Acer Iconia) which will run RDSS or anything else that have an interesting form factor. My limited testing of the touch-interface of such Win tablets is underwhelming. Windows 8 (this autumn) will be the launching point for true Windows-based tablets and thus running RDSS natively on a good mobile device.

Looking forward to my new iPad - and Woodbine opening day: they might arrive together (April 6).

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 03-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Hey Ted
I was going to take the plunge on a iPad3 but i couldn't justify the expense for what i actually use it for. I got a screaming deal on a iPad2 yesterday and i couldn't resist.

Anyway, i am giving the trial version of LogMeIn Pro a go and so far it runs RDSS like a champ, on the iPad that is, not so good on the iPhone but its pointless running RDSS on such a small screen. I haven't downloaded a new card yet but that will be my next test to see if i can go from start to finish using remote access, but i have to say i am impressed with it so far. It's $70 a year for the Pro version and they have a free version as well, after the 30 day trial i will try the free version to see if it holds up, i really only want it for RDSS.

Thanks for the heads up on Team Viewer, i will check that out when i'm done testing LogMeIn.

Let me know when your heading down to Woodbine, i will join you for a beer and some racing, its getting close and i'm all jacked up for the new season.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Houndog
Grade 1

Acer Iconia

Ted I have been looking at the ACER Iconia W500. Ted as you said Windows 8 when it comes out will be more Tablet friendly. I think some people have downloaded a beta version of Windows 8 with good results. I have attached a word document with various user comments on the Acer Iconia that may be helpful.

I think a tablet computer would be so much easier to use at your local OTB than even a lighter notebook.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Acer1.doc (44.5 KB, 1474 views)
Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
mikesal57
Grade 1

Just remember guys , you need wi-fi access to remote connect

Does OTB have it?

for free?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #6
Hoof 11
Grade 1

I have been tethering my iPad with my iPhone and it works great, except when you use remote access, it uses a dirty pile of data, and i mean a dirty pile! If you don't have atleast a 5 gig plan you might want to be careful on how much you use remote access, or you will be in for a shock when you get your next bill.
Wifi would be ideal for remote access but finding it is another story, in the past i have tried getting wifi at Woodbine but it is password protected. I was looking through HPI the other day and stumbled upon Track Services and noticed they offer free wifi at the track, i will be heading to Woodbine for opening day and i am going to inquire about it at the services desk. Maybe they will give you the password to get access to wifi, i would hope so seeing that we can't use another ADW being Canadian residents...... i will let you know.

I have been using Team Viewer on the iPad for the last week and i am happy to report it works great, thanks again Ted.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
mikesal57
Grade 1

I have Sprint and a Google phone..

Data is unlimited and Google is easily hacked to render free tethering to a tablet or ipad...

And if 4g is available , it makes it that much better..

The only downfall is the phones battery lasting....

bring your charger !!!!

mike
Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hoof - At Woodbine, you can login to their wireless using your HPI account credentials. In past years though, wireless has sometimes been spotty, depending on where you are in the building and where the wireless repeaters are. Favourites restaurant seems to have a nearby repeater so reasonably regular; Finishline bar likewise (they're next to each other). 3rd floor Champions lounge sometimes yes, sometimes no, same with 3rd floor patio.

Admittedly, I now mostly use my own cellular connection via a Rogers HSPA USB Rocket Stick, which I hope to replace with the iPad 4G/LTE connection. But now that you mention it, I'll be sure to test exactly how much data that TeamViewer connection consumes. I'll be there May 12 for Mum's annual birthday party (you're most welcomed to join us).

Houndog - that's quite an extensive article about the Acer Iconia running Win7 and Win8 - I may need to take another look! I suspect that over the next quarter year several new Windows capable tablets will be released getting ready for Win8, and that's when I'll likely get one for real Windows work (a faster processor, larger SSD seem like the first orders of business). But thanks for the article - highly recommended!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
barb craven
Grade 1

Hoof - just an aside. Yes, If you are able, please do join us on May 12. It would be a pleasure to have you and any others who happen to be in the neighbourhood and are free that day. We are up in Champions and they are very accommodating about getting us all together and looking after us.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Ted...... what would i do without you, once again thanks for the heads up on the wifi. When i was testing Team Viewer it used about 400 megs in about half an hour, so i came to the conclusion that i would just use it sparingly to look over the data if i was using my own data. The one thing i did notice was my battery on the iPhone got used up pretty quickly, so thanks (mikesal57) for reminding me to bring a charger. I will be testing it out this Friday while using Woodbine's wifi and i will let you know how that works out.

I appreciate the invite and i look forward to joining you guy's and gal's for Barb's birthday, i will put that in my calender.