Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 06-12-2020, 07:03 AM   #1
mick
Abiding Student

Wire to wire?

As an English major, there are newfangled words and expressions that irritate me. Some are recent creations, others are examples of piling on and padding, and then there are expressions and phrases from long ago that people should stop using. Here are a few examples I've jotted down recently.

Orientated? What's wrong with 'oriented'? (Someone getting paid by the syllable?)

Finalized? We have a perfectly good word in 'completed', as in, "The negotiations were completed."

Exact same? They're redundant, they mean the same thing (which is also redundant).

Whether or not? Whether implies 'or not'. It's verbiage or padding. (Perhaps another writer was getting paid by the word.)

And now a couple from the world of horse racing ...

Locked and loaded. This is a favorite of the track announcer at Fonner Park. "The horses are locked and loaded." I think the expression has a military origin and means the weapon is ready for firing. (Mitch can correct me if I'm wrong.) Perhaps the announcer has a military background or else has watched John Wayne in the "Sands of Iwo Jima" a few too many times. Applied to racing though, it's seems backwards. Doesn't the gate crew load the horses first and then lock them into the stalls? So, shouldn't it be 'loaded and locked'? Maybe that doesn't sound cool enough though.

Wire to wire. This is the one that really bothers me. Honestly, I cringe when I hear a track announcer use it. In the US, we don't use a wire to start races anymore and haven't since the days of Man o' War. We use a starting gate (with the exception of an occasional marathon or steeplechase race at Belmont, Saratoga or Keeneland). So, if a horse wins the race by running in front of all the others, doesn't he go 'gate-to-wire'?

Okay, I feel better. Needed to get that off my chest. Please feel free to disagree or to add you own. "Opinions differ," as Patrick Swayze said in the movie Road House. (Yes, I watched it once but I think I had been drinking.)

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
gandalf380
Grade 1

my wife, a retired English teacher, also got a kick out of this post.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
Mitch44
Grade 1

Directly to the point Mick, your absolutely correct on the lock and loaded being taken from military slang. Wire to wire some how has become the norm but it isn't correct what so ever and should be gate to wire.

People,particularity the young, feel they must change things to make it their own. More so than words is when they change history. Now that gets my gall to the max. Once changed it no longer is history. We really need to learn from others mistakes both the good and the bad.

Drive on Mick and as the French say; " Don't let the bastards get you down."

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #4
mowens33
Grade 1

Wire to Wire_ Guilty!

LOL
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
tom
Grade 1

Ever on an airplane and find out you were involved in a "near miss?"

Nuh-uh...Near HIT!
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
Dorianmode
always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Orientated? What's wrong with 'oriented'? (Someone getting paid by the syllable?)
There an entire industry making verbs out of nouns and adjectives these days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthimeria

Anyways, that's a whole nuther thing

Last edited by Dorianmode; 06-14-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Dorianmode is offline   Reply With Quote