Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 07-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Jeebs
Grade 1

Broken laptop dilemma

My Dell XPS's F8 key decided to pop off the other night (noticed it looked crooked and yours truly decided to try his hand in fixing it... no luck!) and is obviously broken so it doesn't click back into place as it should. Not happy as this laptop isn't even that old. Luckily, I complained enough to Dell for them to take the computer off my hands and replace the keyboard at no additional charge. Unfortunately, it leaves me without a computer for a few weeks once Dell sends me the Service box/waybill and I send it out for repair. Right in the middle of Saratoga season of all times ...

Hoping to have the repaired computer back in my possession before Alabama weekend. Going to see if any of my friends/computer nerd friends have a laptop that they can loan me to get through the downtime. Otherwise, it will be pencil/paper/iPad spreadsheet until the repair is made ...
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

Hi Jeebs

Something very similar happened to me once.

I'm sorry if this solution sounds cheap, But I did this what I did until I could get the computer/keyboard fixed properly.

My "X" key broke. and I lost it in my truck back when I was driving.
What I did was I went to a friend who was handy with computers

He took a key off the keyboard that we decided I never used, I think for me and my keyboard,
he took off the Windows or Function key, Then very carefully he snapped it
to the open "X" spot. It worked great,

I used the computer with no problem, He said if I needed to use the key with now cap just use a pen and push down the little center switch.

Actually, now that I think about it I never went any further I just used it "as is" Until Something else broke that doomed the computer

This happened 2 days before the Breeders Cup
Ted and I tried to save the files on the broken machine, I went out and just brought a new / refurbished machine from FRYS electronics
And was able to be up and running for the Breeders Cup

Wishing you the best
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
Jeebs
Grade 1

Thanks, Bill. The F8 is a button that I never use. In fact, if I place it on top of the clip where it broke off, it still functions properly. I "could" use it like this for the remainder of the meet, but rather than run the risk of getting the space dirty and being blamed for the damage, I decided to be proactive. I looked up aftermarket sites that actually sell replacement keys/clips, but none matched the key I need replaced. Furthermore, if the clip itself is broken, I have to try and replace that. Since they are sending me the box to send it back to Dell for repair, I have to honor it or risk the service call being terminated, which could jeopardize the free replacement.

Not the end of the world. It's July 22nd, so I'm hoping to have the box sent to me in the coming days (hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday). Turn around time is about 12 business days, so hopefully it will be back to me by Whitney weekend or shortly after. I've heard that turnaround times can vary toward faster than 12 days, so keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
Dorianmode
always learning

Most cities/localities have PC/laptop rental available by the day, week or month, (call a repair outfit). Don't know how prices range.
Dorianmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #5
Jeebs
Grade 1

Sending it out tomorrow. Looks like a quick turnaround time. Hoping!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:31 AM   #6
Jeebs
Grade 1

Per FedEx, laptop will be back tomorrow all fixed! Quick turnaround... hope it does indeed work!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:45 AM   #7
Bill V.
The egg man

great

Thanks Jeebs

Good for you, Glad you will be back in business

BIll
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
Jeebs
Grade 1

Back in the saddle

Computer is back and fully functional... Only one week of downtime. Can't complain... except for the weather...

Almost time for P&C meeting!