Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 02-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #31
royal
AlwNW1X

God Bless

May God Bless and Keep you. Thank you and your family for all the good you created in this world.
RIP.
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #32
Tim Y
turf historian

Good fellow

Discovered Howard Sartin and the original PIRCO via correspondence with Dr. William Quirin of the math department of Aldelphi University. He told me about a "newfangled" pace evaluation that had some merit. THIS WAS BEFORE THE INTERNET and it took some investigation to locate the source but I discovered what many others discovered: a visionary with an iconoclastic view of the racing game....Being that same way myself, it was an instant attraction right about the time that ENGEN was the new kid on the block in programs.

I did not know the man until my cleaning staff (inadvertently) rolled a chair over the old 5 1/4" copyright protected floppy of Phase III, Engen and I sent the entire thing back HOPING against hope that I could buy a new one at a lesser cost as I had only had it a month then. I received a nice letter back sayng that "accidents happen" along with a new copy of the programs. That was round one.

I used to frequently write to the usernet groups about horse racing. After a particularly ludicrous posting on the "lying cheating head of the Sartin Methodology", I defended him and his ideas with the statement "that if it makes you feel any better, they can call it the Joe Blow or the Tim Y methodology because once you understand it, it simply works better than anything else I had ever investigate and the people behind it were very supportive and dedicated to teaching not ripping people off as so many OTHER systematic approaches to racing." About three weeks later, I received a free copy of the latest program with a nice note thanking me for LOGICALLY defending the method. Round Two

I had many a letter posted to the Vox Populi with positive comments on asking good solid questions. Round three.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at a seminar in Vancouver. He was every bit the showman, promoter, teacher and inspirational speaker I expected. Round four.

Round FIVE, and I believe this to be the most important legacy he left for me was the suggested readings in Chaos, Complexity by Waldrop, the great ideas of Eastern Philosophy (the concepts of the whole and the part as being tied together with the specific [local] affected by whole [global] on par with what I learned from Niels Bohr and Fritjof Capra later on), The I Ching, the concepts of yin/yang. By his interesting examples, it was my first foray into Eastern Philosophy and having that under my belt helped me in so many ways EXTERNAL to racing, particularly after the loss of my wife of 34 years. New vistas of Buddhist and Taoist works now make up a substantial potion of my life where there had been unknown to me previously.

A great teacher and innovator
Old 02-02-2009, 01:15 AM   #33
PinoyJoe
Journeyman

Mentor

I was truly sadden to hear that Doc has passed. When I began, I borrowed the 66 dollars for the manual version of the Methodology. Was homeless sleeping on a friends couch. Jim and Doc truly changed my life in ways you could not believe. The track has been a good living since the mid 80's and has allowed me to travel the world.

Jimmy and Howard at the track were a pair and always were fun to be with, just to watch them work. I will miss them both not being in the world. Thier advice and encouragement still echos from my computer each day I work the tracks.

God Bless them....may they rest in peace and god hold thier families in his hands.
PinoyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #34
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

I would like to offer my sincere condolences to the Doc's family.

To have made the breakthroughs in both race analysis & psychology and share them takes a rare generosity of spirit.

I'm right at the bottom and trying to work my way up. If it wasn't for the Doc (and this site) I'd be finished.
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #35
jwolpert
Racing Form Only

For Dr Sartin

For years, I had been meaning to write a note to Dr Sartin – not only to thank him for the influence of the Methodology in my life but to tell him that he succeeded in another important way that he may have overlooked.

In a phone conversation one day, Howard (who knew that I was a minister) told me that he had entered the seminary to become an Episcopalian priest but was encouraged to leave because he asked too many questions. It was then that he began to pursue his study of psychology.

What I wanted to tell the “Doc” was that what he put together with PIRCO and the way the he approached the teaching of the methodology was indeed a “ministry” because he always emphasized the “winning” aspect of not just racing but of “life itself”. In short, Dr. Howard Sartin was interested in helping others to live positive and productive lives and this is in short “ministry”.

Thank you my friend and give my regards to Jimmy.
Rev Joseph Wolpert
jwolpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #36
Vinnie
Grade 1

God Bless Dr. Sartin and Family!

I don't even know where to begin about Dr. Sartin and how he has influenced me (and countless others) in how we view the races and so many other situations in our daily lives. Thank you Doc for everything. For chewing me out when I wasn't focusing on the races themselves (the horses actually running those races), and for forever changing the way that I look at any horse race or event. Doc stood on top of the mountain alone with The Hat until he so openly invited so many of us others to stand on that mountain right along side him. Many years ago I had a handful of talks with Doc. Aline Best, and Mary jr..

They are Totally Class folks in Every sense of the word. My most sincere condolences to the entire Sartin Family and to everyone else who has ever been touched by the Doc in any way. Thanks for opening up my eyes to "what it possible" when playing the races Doc.

You were one of a kind and you will be most sincerely missed.

R.I.P. Doc and God Bless.

Vinnie
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #37
Houndog
Grade 1

A Legend's Passing

Doc Sartin will surely be missed by all of the handicapping community. He was an innovator and some would say a rebel who went against the grain of traditional handicapping thinking. Through PIRCO he assembled a group of teaching members that was a veritable who’s who of handicapping teaching. Past teachers included Bob Purdy; Michael Pizzolla; Tom Brohamer; Dick Schmidt; Tom Hambleton; Marion Jones; Bob Cochran; and of course Jim “The Hat” Bradshaw.

I had the privilege of meeting Doc Sartin on several occasions through the seminars that PIRCO used to hold. I can honestly say those seminars were always something I looked forward to attending. Doc was a sincere and very engaging personality. Much what I have learned about handicapping is directly attributable to Doc’s teachings.

I want to extend my deepest condolences to Doc Sartin’s family and many friends. I will miss your wit; your willingness to help others; and your inspiration you gave to all of us to be winners in handicapping and more importantly winners in life. Take care Doc.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #38
mikesal57
Grade 1

R.I.P. Dr. Howard " Doc" Sartin

My condolences to the Sartin Family and to all his friends that knew him

I'm sure that from all the responses here and elsewhere, that both The "Doc" and The "Hat" will never be forgotten

God bless both of them for all the hearts and minds they have touched

mike
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #39
barb craven
Grade 1

My deepest condolences to Mrs. Sartin and the whole Sartin family.

I felt I knew him through the eyes of my son and of his many friends.

He will live on forever in our collective memories.

Barb
barb craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #40
shipper
AlwNW3X

It's a worthy life when the ripples you created have touched so many...
God Bless You, Doc and may He watch over your family in your absence...Marty
shipper is offline   Reply With Quote