Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Races of Interest
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Races of Interest *Detailed* Discussion of Races – Screen shots, decisions, post-mortems

Old 07-17-2023, 04:27 PM   #21
Mitch44
Grade 1

shoeless,

Jeff, I can't believe you took that serious. HMM? I remember being on the end of some of your "stirring the pot," so just thought I do that for a laugh. You know the saying, "What goes around, comes around." Perhaps not as it some prison slang. Appreciate the thanks for the help, Jeff.

Onward,
Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 07-17-2023 at 04:31 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 05:03 PM   #22
Mitch44
Grade 1

Pook,
Your thanks are greatly appreciated. Your probably right about many have graduated. Tim and I have never turned down someone asking for help through a PM or from a post, and we'll continue that assistance in the future.

The difficulty of learning the Sartin concepts doesn't come easy. It's much easier now with the present version than when us old farts started back in 1990. While RDSS is easier now than ever, the learning curve is still steep. As with any endeavor getting off on the right foot or with a good start is imperative for success. Old programs only cloud the problem at hand even more because they don't contain the hard lessons learned and experience of our founders. Specially Sartin, Brohammer and Jimmy Bradshaw.

Example the refinement of adjustments such as Beaten lengths, track to track adjustments and the refinement of deceleration along with the Match UP for a few. Years of research, modeling and some real big brains working on this stuff. None of which are in old programs. Early embryos of some of it for research purposes such as Entropy the forerunner of V/DC. Etc.

With newbies coming aboard all the time it just accelerates the confusion and propensity for failure. Something I don't want to be a part of. Handicapping is hard enough to be successful at and throwing gasoline on the fire isn't a valid concept.

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 07-17-2023 at 05:10 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 08:21 PM   #23
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Just to clarify for me (because I might be confused) - is it being suggested by anyone here that the Older Sartin Programs Forum should be closed (or removed) because newbies might get confused that these 20+ year old DOS programs that Ray Lopez (mostly) posts examples about - that these older tools are a way to go? Really??

If anyone knows specifically that that is a peril for newcomers, please feel free to post about it (or write me privately). Otherwise, it is almost incomprehensible to me that posts and screenshots of old DOS programs in that forum pose a 'risk' of confusing people that RDSS is not the best way to go to understand how to make best use of all the old - and new- ideas the evolved from Sartin et al. Some people are just comfortable with what they once knew when they were 25 years younger than the silver-haired age they now are. Or they are just dabblers who don't want to pay for all the work RDSS does for you. Whatever - not my concern.

Unless something completely different is meant. OF COURSE RDSS is the tool 90+% (99% ?) used by ALL long-term Sartin software users (many people use Sartin/Brohamer/Matchup concepts and formulas - it has become 'mainstream') - but Sartin software.

I spend 25% of my time assisting mostly newer users get up and running with RDSS and how to find and apply 'best practices' and have done for years. If I don't do it online, or don't thank regular posters publicly enough for their contributions, well, that doesn't mean I haven't said and meant it privately. We each have a style ... I am absolutely grateful to every single RDSS subscriber past and present, and to every single person who tries to share their hard-earned knowledge.

Lately, I tell people to read the '4-Factor' documentation and study the posts of Tim and Darryl to figure out how to get what they got. Or contact them directly, if they want to. It is absolutely the easiest way to start getting your feet wet with RDSS. From there, you can add whatever model or contender rules nuances you want to and have desire to work to find. FWIW - if I had not put the Prime Power and ProfitLine automatically in RDSS (and CSR), I doubt that few would put in the work to use and be successful with Rich Mathie's method. So, you're welcome.

Also FWIW - I am not going to close down the Older Sartin Software Forum (in case anyone was worrying). It's where we came from - just not where we are now, or are headed.

If I misunderstood what anyone is saying about getting confused by older methods - well, speak out, and speak plainly - thanks.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 07-18-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:30 PM   #24
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Tim, Mitch, and Darryl.

Your info, posts, and just general observations will be missed.

As I dove back into the art of handicapping; all three of you were there to assist me.

To you three, I say thank you; and I will see you down the road.

Don't forget to cash!!

Jon
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:00 PM   #25
Lt1
Grade 1

Jon thanks for the kind words. Keep in mind we will still be available to help members want help in going forward with RDSS
Tim.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:09 PM   #26
57viking
Grade 1

Mitch, Tim, Darryl… it was very sad to read the first post in this string. ( I know I am being selfish ) As someone who has only been involved in the methodology for only a few years, your posts have been invaluable to my learning. Every post you guys make is filled with learning nuggets.

Tim, Darry…. your races of interest are outstanding learning vehicles. They allow me to compare my pace line selections to yours as well as my selections. If I ever had questions you always quickly answered them with very detailed answers. I really like when you changed to this type of posts versus just the selections. My lack of posting on each of them, does not mean I am not studying everyone of them . I consider your time very valuable and only wanted to ask questions when I absolutely needed to.

Mitch, your posts for beginners is what I continue to use to ensure I understand the basics of Rdss. Your post last week of all the bets you made on the opening day of Saratoga was invaluable. I was at Saratoga that day and lost money despite good handicapping. I took away many nuggets from your bets.

Thanks to the three of you for what you have done for me. I hope that you will occasionally post a race where you see good learning opportunities.

Jim
57viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 12:19 AM   #27
Lt1
Grade 1

Hi Jim. Thanks for your kind comments. Feel free to contact me anytime you have questions. I'll try to help the best I can.
Tim
Old 07-18-2023, 10:40 AM   #28
darmar
Grade 1

I want to Thank all of members who have replied to this thread for your support of our efforts to help anyone with any questions or concerns you have with our posts, readouts and screenshots. I echo both Tim and Mitch in saying if I am able to offer any support or answer any questions you may have I am more than willing to do so.
It's very gratifying to see members are benefiting from our posts.
Thanks
Darryl
darmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:44 AM   #29
shoeless
Grade 1

Mitch

I knew you were kidding thanks again

Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:54 AM   #30
shoeless
Grade 1

Ted

Great post you summed it up nicely

All of us here know RDSS is the way to go but some of us have
to use the older programs due to our budgets.

I for one applaud Ray for his contributions to the older programs
section for keeping it going. I think Bill V would be happy with it
as well.

Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote