Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You?
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Hat Check - How Can We Help You? Jim 'The Hat' Bradshaw - Learn The Matchup

Old 05-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
THE HAT
Grade 2

The Early Horse

Early Runners

E -- Runners that show in their best races that they are on, or near the lead, or
within a length attempting to get the lead. A winning effort will be achieved only in this manner and
is usually a wire to wire effort

Many individuals identify early speed using the second call, or
add beaten lengths to the first call. All we need to look for is
positions at the first call. During a seminar in Toronto Sandy
Hawley revealed that he was not a handicapper, but if he saw
ones at the first call he knew the horse was a front runner. This
makes if easy in identifying early horses, but determining if the
early horse can win is the big question.

Today early speed is the name of the game, and is a extensive
factor in North American racing. The winner of a race is
decided when the gates open. One horse goes for the lead all of
the others try to catch him. The ability of a horse to conserve his
energy is crucial in a horse race, especially for front runners.
If a horse is forced to run faster early he will go into oxygen
debt and can’t extend his energy the full distance.

Everybody that reads the Daily Racing Form can see if a horse
ran wire-to-wire in his last race and most of the time is made
the betting choice. In most instances these horses are destined
to fail, because of other unidentified early horses in the race.

Horses with hidden early speed is where the match up finds
horse that are overlooked by most handicappers. To identify
these horses it is necessary to explore the total past performance
of the horse.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

"In most instances these horses are destined to fail, because of other unidentified early horses in the race."

Ah yes, indeed...that is the question to be answered. But how does one? Dr. William Quirin tried to address that with his Quirin Speed Points and most recently, Steve Klein with his Klein Speed Points but still you have those surprise early speed horses. How exactly does one or can one really do that?

Jon
Old 05-14-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
shoeless
Grade 1

I think this section would be a lot better if it was just kept to Jim's thoughts or to ask him specific questions.Shoeless
Old 05-14-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
jms62
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless
I think this section would be a lot better if it was just kept to Jim's thoughts or to ask him specific questions.Shoeless
Shoe,

Strongly agree.... There are many other threads for us to pontificate on. I suggest this thread is for The Hat or for us to ask a specific question about the matchup or to ask The Hat for clarification on what he posts.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
admin
Administrator

Moved

Mr Tompkins

This is a specific area for Mr Bradshaw
I just moved your post to the handicapping area

I moved the post to an area I felt was better for the content
Old 05-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
shoeless
Grade 1

Bill,THANKS VERY MUCH for doing that,hope your Mom has a Happy Mothers Day.Jeff
Old 05-15-2006, 04:42 PM   #7
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

The Hat said:

"Horses with hidden early speed is where the match up finds horse that are overlooked by most handicappers. To identify these horses it is necessary to explore the total past performance of the horse."

Since no one else suggested this, I will: If you're not too busy, Mr. Bradshaw, I believe the best way for us to learn The Match Up concept (after reading the Match Up manual and your book) is for you to go through a race (or two). And for us to ask any questions if anything's still not clear. That I would really appreciate.

Regards,

Jon
Old 05-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
THE HAT
Grade 2

Jon
I am preparing material that should help everyone with The Match Up,
but I will send you a race to look over. I believe this will really help you.

Jim "The Hat"
Old 05-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #9
shoeless
Grade 1

Jim,I would be interested in that as well.Jeff
Old 05-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #10
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Thumbs up How is the Doc?

Glad that the Master of the MatchUp is back. Everytime you speak on the matchup, I find something I did'nt know that I thought I understood. I have a few questions that can be answered now or whenever. 1)How is Doc Sartin, or what is the state of affairs when you talked/seen him last? 2)In a lecture you did, you said, "the MatchUp hasn't changed that much. But you added new teaching illustrations/wrinkles to understanding the matchup such as: 2a)Positions- Paceless race-Other-than-early horses that "Head" each other at the 2Call, setting up for a Sustained or Late to win the race. 2b)Positions-at 6 1/2f, an early horse breaks 1st or 2nd before getting the lead at the 1st quarter at 21.3......but two races at 6f, the horse breaks 4th to 5th positon before the the quarter, and doesn't get the lead at a 22. You concluded that this horse cant normally run a 21.3 AND needs a "boost" coming out of a chute. 2c)Postions-Other-than-early horses that need-the-lead at the 2nd call to win. 2d)Positions-Other-than-early horses that need-to-lead at the stretch to win the race. 2e)Positions-Horse A normally needs to sit about 3rd (1stcall,2ndcall????), the best he can get today is 6th; he needs to pass 3 horses to get his normal postion, which is going to cost him 3 units of energy at the end of the race. Are there any new wrinkles to the MatchUP???? From your recent example on this post, which I appreciate tremendously, I found I still did not understand ESP. To my understanding , you have Need-To-Lead early horses, EarlyPressers Type 1) will sit 2nd no matter what fraction: 2hd 2hd, 2nk 2nk, 2 1 1/2 2 1 1/2, 2 1/2 1hd, 2nk 1no, 2 1 1/2 1nk, etc., EarlyPresser Type 2) no less than 3rd: 3 1 1/2 2hd, 3hd 1hd, 3 1/2 2 1/2, etc., SustainedPresser:Any postion at 1st call within about 3 1/2 lengths, 2nd call position no less than 3rd within 1 length. Last question: I hope you will do another lecture. Joey Reay audio was great capturing hours of your lectures and a handful of sample races to follow. Anyone listening to these cannot help but be addicted to learning nothing but the MatchUp for thoroughbreds. If you have copies of other lectures, I hope you will make them available, or I could make copies of the maybe 3 to 6 hours of you lecturing on the matchup with about maybe about 5 races to follow along. I hope you continue preaching the "Gospel of VooDoo", Thanks for you post and the gentlemen that helped you.