Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 08-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #21
PeteC
Grade 1

Great lay out Voodoo. I'm off to re-read some stuff from Hat Check.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #22
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

THIS looks like the best way, THE HAT'S way, of finding the winner of today's race.

THE TRICK seems to be INCORPORATING ALL the other tips (PATTERN RECOGNITION), The 8 Month Update, The 1 Year Update, Patterns of winning Early and OTE horses & horses that can win both E and OTE, fighters, Power Moves, Power Lines, Positions at 1st call, Running styles, Spriners in a Route, Multiple Earlies, etc...,

... AS one goes from the 1st horse in the race, eliminating the loser, matching winner against the next horse, all the way to the last horse in the race.

Projected 1st call & The Mind's Eye guide us thru the process keeping the other tips in mind.

THE HAT:

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=89

RichieP:

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=16

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=17

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=27

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=31

****************************************************************************************************************

Fastest Pace Last Race reminders:

Quote:

1) 2 horses you are looking at for todays's FPLR from the horses LAST race.

Horse "A" comes from 21.4 -45.0

Horse "B" comes from 22.2 -44.4

The FPLR is the "A" horse NOT the "B" with the faster 2c time. Remember Hat started all the way to the left side of the pps and the 3 tick faster 1c on the "A" runner more than makes up for the 1 tick edge on the "B".

2) LONGSHOT detector focusing on FPLR:

Find horses who moved forward POSITIONALLY from 1c - 2c in that FPLR then COLLAPSED fininishing well out of the money.

Open the pps up ALL the way on this runner to grap his POWER LINE. If that line projects him against TODAY'S match-up and his running style makes you happy pay close attention as his odds will often be inflated big time due to that last race out of the money finish

RichieP

[Positioning reminders:]

Sucker Horse:

Quote:

Here's a little something Hat showed me a while back.

22.0 - 44.0 - 111.0 9th-9 8th-8 6th-1 1-1

above is a past performance line for a horse's last race. por and his positions/beaten lengths at 4 calls.

Note the very fast 1c and 2c compared to the final time. Hat says this horse did NOT close like it appears.

The rest of the field STOPPED because of the rapid splits early on and this one simply ran by TIRED horses.

He told me to NEVER bet a horse like this when THAT line shown above is the line that makes him "fast" or competitive in today's race. NEVER. Calls him a sucker horse.

Now IF the horse has OTHER lines that make him fast/competitive then those other lines obviously should be the ones considered.

Richie

Quote:

The positioning of the 1 in the last race is 10-7-3 using 1c-2c-sc

ok TODAY the horse can NOT be 10th because TODAY is an EIGHT horse field. This is something Jim taught me and it really is totally cool.

The line I chose has 2 things going for it from a matching "look"

a) LOOK at the break positions he show. See the line I chose? 7th at the break. Right about where he should be in TODAY'S race. Good.

b) the positioning of the race I chose has similar stretch and finish position of the last race: 3-2. I want to make the horse more realistic position wise in TODAY'S MATCHUP so WANT to discount that position 10 stuff from the last race while still keeping a sort of reality of the horse which I think I have now when referring to the break and also stretch and finish positions.

Richie

THE HAT:

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=62

ONLY if you are practicing and doing the Match Up Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw's way:

Quote:

Guys,

Rich is doing great explaining The Match Up. There are steps you must go through to learn the correct way to do the match up and Rich is following the steps as they were taught to him. There is only two
ways a race can run: Early, or other than Early. If a horse can not go wire-to-wire then the race will run other that Early.

Follow Rich’s steps and you will get a grasp of The Match Up. Remember, there are more than one line on most horse’s and all lines should be viewed.

Most individuals worry about adjustments and make adjustments making a slow horse fast, or a fast horse slow. I know many individuals that adjust lines using par times and variants, based on the speed of the track. What a bunch of malarkey. Don’t adjust, view all lines.

Great job Rich.

The Hat

VoodooFan
VoodooFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #23
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Quote:
Remember, we do not use software and are not looking for running lines to enter, nor adjustments to make. We are looking for the winner in today’s race and we have no rules that must be applied.

Keep up the good work Voodoofan
Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #24
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Just wondering what others "Mind's Eye" that can get us more simple and deeper understanding of THE HAT'S Match Up.

Someone else's perspective can possible give us a view we have not considered or make what we already seen and heard with MORE clarity.

Sort of like looking at something from the top down, the bottom up or inside out, may give one, at least, more crystallization of what has been already taught.

We are NOT looking for tricks, gimmicks, one race wonders,touts, tout methods, tip sheet picks, luck , insider scoop ,clockers tips, "hossey"talk, horse lotto methods, "hossy" gossip or track talk, etc,......,

.....we want YOUR Minds Eye view....., a view that may have not been considered, of consistent solidified Match Up principles that WORK in races day in and day out as taught by
Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw and Richie P.

Just a theory or wondering..., just like Richie P worked races daily with
THE HAT and got into "his" mind and method, what possible gains if that was done with other successful Match Up students personally tutored by Jim.....?????........could another "Mind's Eye" of a way a certain person perceives could get a little deeper, tad more clarity, different view that does NOT contradict what has been taught that works daily???

Like one guy can read music and the other just plays by ear.

Just speculation, just throwin it out there.

Whatever it takes to gain mastery in THE HAT'S Match Up.

The #1 Rule in the Match UP is that there are no rules.

VoodooFan
Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #25
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:
GUIDELINES:

1) When your tossed early grouping is made up of 2 horses focus your O.T.E. search on fast horses who run well from the 3rd and 4th positions at the 1st call. Use the whole pp's.

2) When your tossed early grouping is made up of 3 horses focus your O.T.E. search on fast horses who run well from the 4th and 5th positions at the 1st call. Use the whole pp's.

3) When your tossed early grouping is made up of 4 horses focus the O.T.E. search on Power Moving horses 1c-2c and 2c-sc who are away POSITIONALLY from the lead horses at the 1st call. Use the whole pp's.

** Power Moves are from 1c-2c and 2c-sc.**

RichieP

Quote:
a) IF you have multiple early designated contenders (more than 2) do NOT consider for win an O.T.E. who runs from POSITION 2 at the FIRST call. He will be "sucked into" the earlies and killed off. This has been posted about in Hat Check over a year ago.

b) If you have 3 earlies they are taking up 3 POSITIONS when the gate pops. So you want to take for your horse the O.T.E. who sits 4th at the FIRST CALL against today's pace (1 tick or so either way). Look at ALL of this horses pp's. He MUST show the ability to PASS horses on MULTIPLE races . If you find this THAT is the horse you bet. That is your horse.

c) If you can NOT find a horse described in part "b" look for POSITION 5 and 6 horses at the FIRST call against similar 1st c pace. They MUST show a POWER MOVE (passing MORE than 2 horses between calls) from the 1c-2c or 2c-sc to be considered for the win. They MUST show this. If you find this and a horse described in part "b" is not present THIS is your horse.

RichieP
Which looks to me like:

1st call - 2nd call - stretch call

5-3-1 ----- NO

5-5-4 ----- NO

5-2-2 ----- YES passed 3 horses

5-4-1 ----- YES passed 3 horses

Not a rule but a STRONG guideline.

If this is not correct, please correct me, thanks.

VoodooFan
Old 08-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #26
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

How many ways do we have to UNLOCK a race, for it to unfold ?

Looks like our tools mainly centers on : 1st call Pace of Race projection and/or Fastest Pace Last Race.

1) The Minds Eye - needs Early horse(s) - 1st call fraction projection

2)
Quote:
There are two ways to project the pace

THE HAT
Quote:
First, decide the horse that is likely to take the lead. In picking the horse that is going to take the lead, find a horse that has truly been in the lead at the first call.

THE HAT
Quote:
In the event NONE of the horses definitely had the lead,use a line where a horse tried for the lead or was up close.

THE HAT
Quote:
Next, find a horse that was in the lead at the 2nd call.

THE HAT
Quote:
Next, find a final time that MATCHES the first two calls, and you have the projected pace of today's race.

THE HAT
Quote:
NEVER add beaten lengths to any of the fractional calls.

THE HAT

Quote:
3) Find the horse that has run the best against the fastest pace in his last race,at today's track and at today's distance.

THE HAT

Quote:
If none of the horse's has run at todays distance consider any fast sprint, or any fast route line.

THE HAT

3) PACE-LESS RACE 1

Quote:
The race Rich has posted is a "pace-less" race. A race that does not have an Early horse. When I approach this type of race I do not worry about who will take the lead, but the running lines of horse that have run against the fastest pace. Remember, I do not worry about the last race, but the "power" lines of the horses. I always look at the last race, but do not limit myself to using it.

THE HAT
Quote:
".....have run against the fastest first fraction and the fastest second call. So, these are the running lines we zeroed in on.

THE HAT

4) PACE-LESS RACE 2

Quote:
Races where none of the horses had the lead or close at any call is a pace-less race. It is impossible to project the pace from this type race.

Follow these steps in matching the pace-less race:

1) If possible use a race run against the fastest pace at today's distance or a similar distance.

2) If possible use the last race at today's track and distance.

3) Ignore all beaten lengths and use last race when possible.

4) This race is the projected pace for today's race.

--from The Match Up (blue book) Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw

5) FASTEST PACE LAST RACE

Quote:
When you FIRST open a race scroll the horses and find the fastest PACE OF RACE from the LAST RACE. Look at the horse(s) and check the position and beaten lenghts at 1c AND 2c. If the horse maintains position and/or beaten lenghts (NOT talking about pos 8-8 for ex, some looking at races like this will show YOU what is ok) this is a TRIGGER to open the horse's WHOLE pp's up and evaluate him off BEST line (s).

RichieP
Quote:
When a horse loses BOTH position and beaten lenghts between the 1st and 2nd calls this is a strong indication THAT pace is one he can NOT handle. If he GAINS position or beaten lenghts from 1c to 2c use this as a positive indicator that he can handle the pace.

RichieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post

1) 2 horses you are looking at for today's FPLR from the horses LAST race.
Horse "A" comes from 21.4 - 45.0
Horse "B" comes from 22.2 - 44.4

The FPLR is the "A" horse NOT the "B" with the faster 2c time. Remember Hat started all the way to the left side of the pps and the 3 ticks faster 1c on the "A" runner more than makes up for the 1 tick edge on the "B"

2) LONGSHOT detector focusing on FPLR:
Find horses who moved forward POSITIONALLY from 1c-2c into that FPLR then COLLAPSED finishing well out of the money.

Open the pps up ALL the way on this runner to grab his POWER LINE. If that line projects him against TODAY'S match-up and his running style makes you happy pay close attention as his odds will often be inflated big time due to that last race out of the money finish

RichieP
Quote:
Primer FPLR
In EVERY race you look at:
1) Identify the FPLR
2) Note the POSITIONAL running style or styles (if there is a tandem for FPLR)

Now QUICKLY notice
1) Was there fighting going on?

2) Did the horse try to WIN the race at the stretch call with a Power Move and failed losing both positions/beaten lengths sc-finish?

3) Was there a maintaining of POSITIONS and or beaten lengths from 1c-2c?

The above 3 are GOOD. That is all you need to tell yourself when you see it.
Now you move on QUICKLY.
==================================================

1) Did the horse or horses from FPLR LOSE positions AND beaten lengths 1c-2c??

This is BAD and that's all you need to know. Move on QUICKLY.

=================================================
Practice this EVERY race you work from the time you read this onward.
use your Mind's Eye here to ONLY identify and store.
RichieP
Old 08-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #27
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

So once we "UNLOCK" the race, and WIN the race, there is a PATTERN there that has happened "before", many times.

So once we WIN the race, do we recognize what PATTERN it was?

Was it a LONE Early, Dominant Early, Clear-Clear Early, Multiple Earlies, Multiple Sprinters in a Route, etc.,?

We IDENTIFY the PATTERN or have identi-FIED the PATTERN and WON the race.

Now what???

Quote:
The "Hat's" matchup is NOT
projecting pace
running styles
spot plays
etc.etc.

HIS matchup is all about the MIND and RECALLING patterns/races that have run before

RichieP
Quote:
".... I was talking with him when all of a sudden he tells me "Rich don't go crazy after I tell you this ok? I do NOT pay attention to tandems. I do NOT project a pace. When I am "ON" I open the form and there is the winner of the race. Try it sometime and see".

RichieP quoting THE HAT
Quote:
"The race has run already even though it hasn't. Now just find the horse that has already won".

RichieP quoting THE HAT

Quote:
" Intuition is pattern recognition. Relax and open your mind to recognize certain races that have run before. Then go to the pp's and find the horse that has already won based on what has happened BEFORE" - The Hat
Quote:
It's PATTERN RECOGNITION at a very high level.

When we look at a race it is something that HAS run before. Many many times as a matter of fact. Things change such as
names
tracks
distances
surfaces
but the CORE of the race is the same.

What we CAN do as beginning "matchers" is to be aware of one or two certain types of races that we HAVE seen run and KNOW who the winner "looks like" in the pp's BEFORE the race runs. We can FOCUS on finding these type races to wager on.

This is where Jim's SPOT PLAYS become a SERIOUS weapon for us to use if we have PATIENCE and DISCIPLINE to wait on them.

He tells me "Rich focus on the races that you RECOGNIZE. As you gain more experience with the matchup you will be able to recognize more races to bet on. Take things one step at a time and realize you are doing this for 8 months while I am at it for over 20 YEARS."

RichieP
Richie suggested KEEPING those WINNING races, keeping an amount to users preference, of RECOGNIZABLE PATTERNS, WINNING PATTERNS that we have Won, Seen, and can "SEE".

He also suggested we refer to them , often, get that Pattern "SET" in our mind.

I think he said use them like a "Flashcards" of sorts, different winning patterns that we can easily recognize, get them ingrained in the mind.

Richie has a lot of "Hat Helpers' and Step-by-Step Pattern Recognition exercises/drills given to him by THE HAT of different WINNING Patterns that recur over and over again.

We want to get as close to "HAT" like ability as possible.

We want to evolve and get better like THE HAT has done.

I did not try this, as Richie suggested, because I could only see some value in it and so me logic ( or lack thereof) went something like this:

"Sure, one could recognize a winning pattern in ones novice state.., but how would one advance and push the envelope of higher stages if all I am "looking" for and "waiting" for is the easy stuff I can already see???"

"How can this exercise help me win and recognize MORE advanced and complex races thats within the SAME winning pattern category, by looking and waiting for races I already see??"

"I pass hard races and wait for the one's I see in my novice state?? How can this make one advance?"

DUDE, IT'S RIGHT THERE, how many times does Richie got to type it?!?!??!?

CAN'T see the forest for the trees.

How often we forget how D-E-E-E-E-P and plentiful the tools we have here in The Sartin Methodology and The Match Up??

Simply do as Richie said as taught to him by THE HAT.

Keep the winning race you won, identify the pattern, Lone Early, Chaos, Marathon, etc., and refer to it often to put you in the zone more and more..., ...BUT

Either with Richie's template of Step-by-Step Pattern Recognition exercises of SPECIFIC winning patterns or consulting his personal help, simply SUBSTITUTE the race you won with the lesson he presented, and without fail, go thru the steps of YOUR winning race as he did HIS, Hat Helpers and all, and do EXACTLY as instructed, like this example :

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4497

Find different PATTERNS and lessons with THIS Step-by-Step approach by Richie.....,

....BUT HERE IS THE CATCH :

Of the races you WON of a particular pattern, if a recent race was a little tougher, harder, complex, murkier, SUBSTITUTE THAT race in place of your PREVIOUS race.

That means, you may have to pick one or two races in card that are not necessarily easy to recognize, NOT HARD, but not AS easy as you normally would handicap your other races.

These one or two races should be $2 bet races. Maybe do this once a month or whenever you feel your pattern recognition skills "seeing" these murky, tough races is getting easier and easier, and you need slightly more intense one's to replace the previous flashcard.

You need to add SLIGHTLY more difficult races to your portfolio of winning patterns for you to go over when you need to get in the zone, solidify them in your mind or simply practice of repetition so they can be more "automatic" when you open the form, like THE HAT.

Remember Richies "HAT" quotes on how EXTREMELY focused and relaxed THE HAT is.

Richies step by step drills going over YOUR winning races should get us even more closer, with this added twist, in my humble opinion, we got more to shoot for.

HOW many times does Richie got to hammer intuition and pattern recognition?

Which is why I mis-INTERPRETED this:

Quote:
When checking running styles I find a lone Early, but there isn’t any line showing where the horse won the race, but his first two calls indicate that he is a very fast horse and will get the lead in today’s race. This is the horse I pick to win the race.

If I believe the race will go other than Early I may pick another horse with a different running style and try to find a running line for this horse. So in reality I’m picking horse’s running styles and then find running lines that will make the horse the winner.

In most instances I do not know the horse's name, or the track where he last ran. The horse that is going to take the lead is the first thing I look for in today’s race and nothing else matters. I do not apply any
traditional handicapping methods..

THE HAT
He was NOT talking about 1st fraction projection of lead horse.

He was NOT talking about finding the EARLY horse.

He simply opened the form, IMMEDIATELY recognized the "race that has run before" , FOUND the winning horse because another horse with a different name just like him won before, then proceeded to find a line to make the horse the winner or verify that THIS is the horse.

And here I thought that the first thing was to find an Early horse.

Spare no expense to make your winning pattern portfolio fun, nice, nice to touch and pick up, easy to look at, fun to look at, easy to carry and thumb thru, book form , folder, hardbound diary,etc., because you will be looking at it often, sharpening your "HAT" vision.

If you only focus on what Richie says in the exercises to do to YOUR winning races, and the races you get get slightly harder and more difficult in a gradual way, pretty soon, you will ONLY see what you need to "see"..., there will be no such thing as hard, murky, difficult, noisy races because you will have trained yourself to block out the stuff which makes us perceive a race as difficult.

Can you see the potential in this, right here in front of our face?

THE HAT did several things in his stage, that I know of, evolving and perfecting The Match Up:

He made hundreds, if not, thousands of graphs.

Then latter, he simply observed horses and there behavior.

What will be "OUR" evolving tool if we can ever get close to the instant pattern recognition level?

It is easy to see in the Pattern Recognition exercise drills that Richie provided, on how SPECIFIC and deliberate he tells us what to "look" at, we can now understand more when Jim lectured on a tape somewhere , this is why THE HAT stated something to the effect:

"...my eye's REFUSE TO SEE the Beyers numbers.., my eye's REFUSE TO SEE the class..., my eye's REFUSE TO SEE the post position..,

Perhaps one day, "our" eye's REFUSE TO SEE anything except the winning horse, so if we "refuse" to see the "stuff" that is unnecessary, how would we know if a race is difficult, advanced or too hard?

This is The Sartin Methodology.

This is The Match Up.

This is legacy of Dr. Howard G. Sartin and Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw.

Richie , Ted and others has been faithful in this legacy of information.

We will never get to the bottom of our tool chest, and anything else in the marketplace now or in the future simply cannot compare.

Believe me, I tried to find, and bought, other stuff in an attempt to get a clearer perspective of The Match Up and The Sartin Methodology.

The closest thing was Tom Brohamer's book, so him being a Pirco Charter Teaching member, that really did'nt count.

The other was a sentence or two in Sal Sinatra's book, who was also a Sartin Methodologist, so technically, that don't count either.

Even read some of ex-Sartin members books, sorry, not close.

People's , we simply got to sharpen our shovels when digging in this vast tool chest is all.

VoodooFan
Old 08-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #28
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:
Pace handicapping begins with the gate opening. If a horse is to win "early" he doesn't get to wait until the second call to be early. I think not only the first call, but the start call in many sprint races is very important. Sometimes the first call is too late to be early.

I was delighted to see you talk about being on the lead at the 1C, because Jim was once answering a question I had about the match up. I was arguing a line where the horse was 2-hd to try to make him the leader, and Jim said, rather bluntly, "Well, second ain't on the lead, now is it?"

Tom

Quote:
Learn from my mistakes.

1) Make sure that when you are projecting a pace 1c-2c that you are using a horse (s) who are ON THE LEAD at those calls. NOT 2-hd or 2-nk.

Hat would gruff at me "On the lead means what it says Rich".

RichieP

Quote:
"Rich work on getting the importance of the FIRST CALL in people's minds. Get them away from the "pace is 2c bull****". When you think you have done enough in this area do some MORE ok? This is the matchup" - Jim Bradshaw (notes to me on 11/11/2007)

RichieP

Quote:
The SOLE purpose of this thread and SPECIFIC race was to EXPOSE developing matchers "Mind's Eye" to the "Voodoo Process" described in post #42 and the realities shown in post #54.

Remember "flash cards" in school? Where we saw something real quick like then it was gone?

Exact same idea here Pete and the flash card analogy was Hat's description to me.

It then becomes simply a matter of PERSONAL choices where to continue with this:
1) Quit

2) Rely on the 5 step approach and "Matchup2" and a strict numbers based approach

3) Become VERY uncomfortable at first and work on the Mind's Eye
and it is all GOOD.

RichieP

So now , when we do the step-by-step process of The Minds Eye and Pattern Recognition exercises, the DISCIPLINE to DO IT and do so consistently is more possible, now that we can see further into its final purpose.....,

....to TRAIN the EYE to go directly to whats needed, which in turn, TRAINS the Brain and Subconscious to faster and faster recognize more Winning horses and/or Patterns that have occurred before, INSTANTLY, at more and more of a GLANCE, NOT thinking, automatic, win, lose or draw.

By training the eye to go ONLY to the essential, we will began to develop a REFLEX action, blocking all other unimportant information, automatically, unless our GLANCE instantly tell us to automatically look there once in a while, intuition.

This becomes more doable.

Eye's NO LONGER WANDERING to who sired the horse, who trains the horse, the varients , to post position, to blinkers, to dosage, or any other "stuff".

With practice and skill, we may no longer even notice if it is a hard or more complex race, because we will be looking at NOTHING else.

VoodooFan
Quote:
"Richie never 2nd guesses, or ask "what if", but learns the concept I am teaching. This is one why he has learned and he is one of my best students. He is my pride and joy and best pal."
Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw
Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #29
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

May have misspoke.

Pattern Recognition drills are probably a little different than referring to races ALREADY WON to "remember" looks faster and faster.

But still have to selectively KNOW what to look at and FOCUS ON in isolation, and how to "SET UP" your won race as in color highlights of the winning horse past performance line(s), break calls, 1st call positions, running styles, SPECIFIC things to look at to go over and over to remember and recall "looks" faster and faster.

Richie will probably have to tell us how to set up our winning race so we can look at it and remember the "look" and the "what" of what we are supposed to focus on {only}.

VoodooFan

Last edited by VoodooFan; 08-16-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #30
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:
In the event NONE of the horses definitely had the lead,use a line where a horse tried for the lead or was up close.

THE HAT

"tried for the lead" , definition thru example :

pages 15-17
Quote:
The third and forth running lines of Stefie's Brite is a good example of a horse that has Hidden Early, not only did she press, but tried for the lead.

The Match Up 2 , Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw

Stefie's Brite

(Line 3) ----- 311/2----1hd----11----141/4

(Line 4) ----- 21/2------2hd---21/2----981/2

VoodooFan