Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
The Pook
Grade 1

Don't get caught!

I have been getting too used to the leisurely pace that they approach post times in Florida. Both GP and TAM regularly go off at 5 minutes past the scheduled post. I guess they are milling around to swell the pools?

But not everybody does it. Along comes OP which is in complete contrast. They actually load while it shows one minute to go. Easy to be caught out when playing those places at the same time.

Personally I prefer punctuality.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Lt1
Grade 1

Nice heads up Pook. Gee GP is only about 22mins behind today. Almost fast for them lol.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Mitch44
Grade 1

I prefer punctually also Pook.
Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #4
mick
Abiding Student

Good point, Pook. I missed a 7-1 winner at Oaklawn this week because I was still on "Florida" time. (I hit the "bet" button as Vic was calling them out of the gate.) I now keep the Oaklawn live feed going so that won't happen again.

mick

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
The Pook
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Good point, Pook. I missed a 7-1 winner at Oaklawn this week because I was still on "Florida" time. (I hit the "bet" button as Vic was calling them out of the gate.) I now keep the Oaklawn live feed going so that won't happen again.

mick
Ouch!

This thing was throwing me off last year. GP's dilly-dallying was backing me up into other tracks when trying to get the most accurate going off odds. Trying to time it visually when horses were actually going into the gate was adding a layer of frustration I didn't need.

I contacted GP through Email to ask why they did this. To their credit the director of racing operations ( Mr. Campo) asked me to call him which I did. In a brief conversation I mentioned the awkwardness of multi-tracking while sensitive to odds. He told me that he had never had this complaint before. He said that their long parades were because the 2nd grade market of Florida racing tries to time things based on what is going on in NY and California.

I don't get it. OP doesn't do it. Parx doesn't do it. TUP and MVR do it to some degree but nothing like GP. I think TAM is worse. Also GP is the same when NY and Cal aren't running. One guy (me) complaining isn't going to change anything.

So I make it easy on myself. I take the odds at 0 minutes to post and let them load whenever. All tracks the same. Maybe things are less accurate in Florida but I think it evens out over time.

Easier on the soul. Except I keep in mind that OP is 1 minute to post!

Pook
Old 03-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
Jeebs
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
I contacted GP through Email to ask why they did this. To their credit the director of racing operations ( Mr. Campo) asked me to call him which I did. In a brief conversation I mentioned the awkwardness of multi-tracking while sensitive to odds. He told me that he had never had this complaint before. He said that their long parades were because the 2nd grade market of Florida racing tries to time things based on what is going on in NY and California.
I call "Bull****" on Mr. Campo's explanation. The "drag" is merely a gimmick to create an artificial sense of urgency as well as (on guaranteed pools) inflate the pools high enough where the track doesn't have to cover the difference on an overlaid pool. While I get the logic behind this on big race days and weekends (lets face it, those days are typically "Amateur Hour"), doing this on your run of the mill weekday afternoon card makes zero sense, considering the majority of those playing the Gulfstream product on a weekday are the regular breed who attend the races or OTB almost every single day. It is wasted time and the "drag" is inconsistent from one day to the next. I have seen 12:35 post times at Gulfstream go anywhere from 12:39 to 12:43. Even if you know Gulfstream won't go "off" at 12:35, you still need to keep your eye on the ball if you send it in late. I failed that test miserably on Wednesday (multi-tracking GP and TAM before work).
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
mick
Abiding Student

Hey, Pook.

Did you catch the 8th at Oaklawn today (3/23)? They popped the gate at 3 MTP! The field was half loaded when Vic said, "The horses are at the gate." Something of an understatement.

That's a first for me.

Illustrated Glossary
Old 03-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #8
The Pook
Grade 1

Mick I noticed that too but I thought it was Woodbines problem. Was so surprised I took a picture. Like I said OP doesn't wait around but this was ridiculous. Would have had an investment in the 6 which looked like it was going to pay off. The 1 beat my horse in the last few strides so I was spared the money lost by technical glitch screw up.

Pook
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
mick
Abiding Student

I didn't bet that one, but don't you love it when the technical glitches are in your favor? I'm all for those kind.

Illustrated Glossary