Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion Phase III/MPH, Synergism, Energy, Kgen, Entropy, Thoromation, Quad-Rater, PaceLauncher, Synthesis, Validator, Val4, Speculator, etc ...

Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Tim Y
turf historian

Ted what are these files?

I accumulate a ton of them in the Spec 160 directory and want to know if it is safe to discard them
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Tim,

You can delete them all, including the ones named AATEMP.DBF, BBTEMP.DBF, etc They are memory dump files used to swap out parts of memory by the DOS compiler because the DOS memory restrictions didn't permit enough info to be in memory for the software to do its job, so it constantly juggles things out to files then reads it back in again.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Vinnie
Grade 1

Spec 160

Ted:

I hope that you are well? I loved the original Speculator that Guy Wadsworth worked so hard to develop and create I believe right along side Doc Sartin, and I was just getting used to it when it became somewhat erratic I believe due to the variant that TrackMaster was using in their exe files at some point. I could be mistaken, but, I think that was the primary issue. I was just looking at Speculator on my desk top. Ted is it only safe in your opinion or most reliable (readouts wise) to trust only Spec 160 currently? Or, in your opinion do you believe that the original speculator will still generate accurate readings/corollaries utilizing the current offering of TrackMaster PP .exe's? I know that I have read about this in other posts.

Have a super evening Ted and I appreciate your help in advance. I apologize for rehashing a topic that has more than likely been previously discussed at some point in the past. Thank you Ted.

All the Best!

Vinnie
Old 05-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Vinnie,

Don't use Speculator versions prior to Spec160, or Validator versions prior to Val4. For Val, those older versions no longer function with the accuracy which Doc intended. For Speculator, though Guy thought the TrackMaster variant change slated for 2006 to be benign, well, he also thought the TrackMaster Intertrack variants unnecessary from the beginning - and both decisions, IMO, were serious mistakes.

Spec160 corrected both those problems, and previous versions of Spec, while somewhat functional, are often closer to random than you know, depending on the size of the (omitted) ITV required to equalize tracks and surfaces, and the magnitude of the DTV figure used to adjust running times. Spec160 really looks the same as previous versions, it just functions better, more accurately. Ask Tim Y, ask JMS62, ask BJennet, or the guy who picked Mine That Bird in the Kentucky Derby.

If you like Speculator, I'd recommend using the best version of it. And actually, that version is: RDSS

I never mind answering questions, so fire away!

Wishing you too a fine evening.

cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 05-05-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Vinnie
Grade 1

Spec 160

Ted:

Good morning! Thanks for the kind response and confirmation that my version of Speculator would be futile to use due to a number of circumstances.

You know Ted, one of these days I may find myself driven to utilize (if you would allow me to of course) your Incredible RDSS program.

Thanks a bunch Ted.

Have a great day today.

Vinnie