Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 10-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
PeteC
Grade 1

Match-Up Revival

I haven’t posted in quite a while but it is good to be back. Thanks to Richie, there is an exhaustive library (Hat Check) available to those wanting to learn the Match-Up from square one and for those who want a refresher periodically. There are also numerous example races with PP’s as well as “live” practice races where one can find a variety of Match-Up styles and perspectives.

There is a great community of Matchers here on this board who are sharp and helpful. I’m wondering though if there is anything new that people would want from the Match-Up forum.

-Are there newcomers who have specific questions or want guidance?

-Do people still enjoy participating in, or following along with, live practice races, where matchers lay out their analysis?

-Would there be some benefit to posting links to races that fit certain spot plays, or set up as fairly straight-forward to match (easy projected pace, etc.)? Not that you would necessarily post selections, but just links that each matcher could determine on their own if there was a good betting opportunity. (I think Richie suggested this years ago but it may have been more problematic than I’m thinking now.)

-Match-Up record-keeping ideas that might give an edge based on information not contained in the PP's

Any other ideas?

I’m up for any suggestions, and curious how others may feel and what ideas they might have.

Pete
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
cigar
3-3-1 - 3-3-2

Match up

Pete, if you are serious about teaching the matchup to newbie I am in! I am fairly new to RDSS and have reasonable success with the software and teaching. I've tried the 5 step approached, however I do not have a true understanding of the concepts.

I am a visual learner, who would welcome your teaching using real time examples. If your are will to be a mentor, I will be your first student. Looking forward to working with you.
cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
mowens33
Grade 1

Pete, I am fairly new to this business of wagering on the horses, the Methodology, and RDSS. I have learned a lot from Ted, Bill V, and all other excellent contributors of pace and cap.

I've been spending a lot of time with Jim Bradshaw’s Five Step Approach to the Match Up and reviewing old post from RichieP. Even though I feel I have a better understanding of the match-up, I know there is much more to learn.

Like Cigar I am a visual leaner and having a working forum would be great.

You can count me in!

Thanks, Mike
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
emilio840
Grade 1

Hi Peter I would like to check the live races. Count me in

emilio
emilio840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:22 AM   #5
Capcondo
Grade 1

Hi Pete. Good to see you back. I've been gone a while as well. We seem to find each other.

In the past when live races were posted, I didn't have a great winning percentage. Many of these races I wouldn't bet and didn't bet. But, they were posted and I rendered an opinion. It didn't always work out. I think being very selective is the key.

I don't know what the best approach is. I do have a suggestion though. I would suggest focusing on a particular concept in the match up and then turning the group loose on tracks far and wide to see if we can find a race yet to be run that fits that concept. When someone finds a race that fits, they alert the group and we all turn our MU skills loose on that race.

For example, let's say we want to find a race with a lone early fighter. It doesn't matter whether it's a sprint or a route. Or whether it's on the grass, poly, or dirt. It might even be nice if the horse had an other than early race in the past performances to enhance his chances.

Or we could go searching for an OTE horse where there were 2, 3, or more matching earlies in the race.

I think keeping it simple at the start inspires confidence in all participating that these spot plays as you, Richie, and the HAT refer to them are the way to go.

Welcome to everyone here. Let me know what you think.

Turf Paradise opens Saturday.

Don't look back. You're not going that way.
Capcondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
raceman5
Grade 1

forum

I'm in. Love the Match Up.

Bob
raceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
joefour
AlwNW3X

Matchup

Count me in, too.

My matchup skills have suffered due to neglect because of a number of medical problems I've been dealing with and I don't want to get too far behind the curve if I can help it (Use something or lose it?!).
joefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Count me in too! If I can keep up, I'll try to maintain a database of the discussion races, downloadable from the RDSS Example Database area. For those who use RDSS.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
PeteC
Grade 1

Appreciate all the great responses. I think a 5-Step Intro/Teaching thread and a Spot Play thread are both really good ideas. Let's see if others chime in too and then we can iron out a plan....
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
raceman5
Grade 1

Excellent

Idea. And what would be cool is if the pp's are posted for the race in question get the free ones from the whobet site then we can go there and print the race out, it's easier to follow along.

Bob
raceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote