Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum > Welcome to the Sartin Methodology
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Welcome to the Sartin Methodology New members: introduce yourselves! Ask about how to get started, get pointers in the right direction.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #11
mowens33
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V. View Post
Actually I am going to be hated for telling my opinion. I also know this works so if i'm hated I am sorry you hate me. Believe me I have done it all.
I also have tried to handicap and do the match up and I failed.

Basically you can do very well forgetting all about visual match ups and who will take the lead and adjustments . You also don't really need to understand
the meaning of each of the staple readouts .

Just read and reread (and ask questions) here on PC about follow up 80 to 88
Just absorb the info in those follow ups, Get RDSS2 or Val4 from Ted
and pick the best paceline of the last three races at a comparable distance and surface. Go to the bottom line betting line and look at 3 things The rankings of the BLBL, The vdc ranking and the Early /Late graph Now bet the best 2 of your top 3, Make your first bet the first horse of those 3 that will pay over $7.00 to win. For your second bet bet the horse of the top 3 that will pay the highest win price . Break ties and close calls with the early late readouts and keep a simple model of what wins at your track

This is not going to win you any contest, or make you look smart , and your not going to be like Hat or Richie or Doc , so your not going to get any ego
satisfactions, However, You will get many high price horses and you will almost always show a profit every 20 race cycle .

The other reason for looking at the Early Late numbers is if you want to get into exactas. The winner and the place horse almost always run counter energy to each other . You also will see if one of your top 3 or 4 horse might be
too early or too late to win but may pay a nice price for place and show.

As you go along you will begin to try to refine your game by using tools like your visual perception and picking running styles but if your like almost EVERYBODY you will fail
so I suggest just keep it simple and take your profits

Bill
Bill, I respect your opinion and your thoughts and want to thank you for all the help (and criticism at times) you gave me when I became a member. For you to take the time and the effort to answer my post were so very much appreciated!
Thanks, Mike
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #12
The Pook
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V. View Post
Actually I am going to be hated for telling my opinion. I also know this works so if i'm hated I am sorry you hate me. Believe me I have done it all.
Bill
I was just doing my Monday morning Challenge tally and came across this ongoing post and felt the need to comment.

I'm with Mike on all this.

Bill, your and Teds site is amazing! I read everything you guys post. I really like Bill when you make those videos using software like Val4 for races like the Belmont. I wish you would do more of those. It is just neat to see a guy like you who knew all the mentors, actually do your stuff with some older software.

And Ted your assembly of words like that which you wrote above.....you describe it all so succinctly. There is no one best way for everybody. Meeting Ted and coming across this site turned my game around. I am mostly a Matchup guy but I have fun with all of it.

So dandy68 you are in a great spot here. Listen to all the folks above who took the time to post into this thread. You have a good chance of doing well.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #13
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

Bill,

Nobody hates you here. I'm eternally grateful for the work you've put into this site & the resources available to share for free. As far as betting sites go I'd assume that were pretty much a unique situation.
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #14
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

^^^ that was, sorry!
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #15
Mark
Grade 1

This website allows those who participate the ability to exchange ideas and information. I don't think there is any place here for hostility toward one person's opinion. We should embrace the opportunities to share in this way. Ted's comment says it all and beautifully. There is no one size fits all. However, we can pick and choose and experiment and continue to improve. The one absolute associated with Pari Mutuel wagering is profitability so we have a very clear goal. I thank everyone who contributes because I want to continue to learn and get better. And I thank Ted specifically for designing an outstanding piece of software and Bill V. for his many contributions and am somewhat saddened that he has choose to participate less often now.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #16
Lt1
Grade 1

Thanks Ted and Bill for your great post and Mark for reminding us that there's room for all our approaches. I've been a member of the Methodology since 1990 and was fortunate enough to spend time with Doc and Jimmy after a few seminars and got to pick their brains. Needless to say this is a tough game we play. I feel that in RDSS we have a great program. I've used most of the Docs programs and this is by far the easiest to use. I remember the days of being driven crazy over which adjustment to apply. I also feel that asking question is a great way to get familiar with the Methodology. The only dumb question is the one not asked. Since we all know that Jim's matchup protocol is difficult to master it might be best to put that on the back burner until you get your feet on the ground so to speak. Anyway Dandy I like to welcome you and wish you success in your quest to become a winning handicapper.
Tim
Lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #17
shoeless
Grade 1

Bill,

Great advice to that gentlemen

Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:35 PM   #18
wilbur porter
AlwNW3X

Learn Rdss. Start with patience. I was one of "those" who was very smart and learned through my mistakes without learning or listening to others. After a couple of months I wrote a frustrated response in the thread "A Disappointed Evaluator". I have received very informed responses from Ted, Richie, Bill, Froggy and others over time.
My first task was to learn to listen and become a student. I read everything that was suggested. I watched and listened to the audios and videos that are offered. I read many if not most of the posts of Ted, Bill, Rich and others. I've read and re- read the Match Up books many times. I thought I was really smart.
My suggestion for you is to first become a student of RDSS. It is without a doubt the best handicapping software out there. I've tried the others that are now available. But I also feel that you should become a student of the Sartin Methodology - a student, not an expert. Read the threads and suggested literature and focus on the experiences of others as well. It sounds like the most humble of the forum members are the most successful.
Learn RDSS well and you may be able to synthesize the various methods (including the Match UP) into your own cohesive method that will bring profits. After 5 years of Rdss ( and absolutely race experience before 2008) I am now a very satisfied customer.

And thanks to Bill V. There is some truth in what he says. I still read his old threads!!!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #19
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Thanks Wilbur. That older thread you reference ('Disappointed Evaluator') has a LOT of good discussions, including yours, related to learning RDSS - pro and con - and the process of self examination and perseverence.

HERE --> http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6344

It is interesting to read your update on things, 5 years on.

Best,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #20
Bill V.
The egg man

Well thank you

I most say, I was wrong to think I would be blasted for posting my opinion.
- You all are such nice people - It makes me proud that what I started and what Ted has upheld and extenuated - Friends helping friends win - is strong and living here at Pace and Cap

Anyway along with what we have posted here I just want to suggest again the importance of reading follow ups 70- 88, but mostly 80 -88 . and read the articles by Capper and
Doc' The Psychology of Winning and also mostly read the letters from clients in Vox Popi . ( the model and what gave me the idea for pace and cap)

If you read these follow ups with a winning positive "I can do this too" attitude and if you follow Doc's concepts you will win right away and you will not get frustrated,

You will be loved - by you

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote