Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 01-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
papajohn3times
Grade 1

waiver claiming

Hi all!
Trying to post a question I did it once but forgotten now.Ted told me how once but that email was lost by me Here goes! Can anyone tell me what waiver claiming races are? I' see they have them now at Oaklawn
Thanks!
papajohn3times

Last edited by Bill V.; 01-27-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Deleted e mail
papajohn3times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

Claiming condition

They are claiming races

From Equibase

WCL Waiver Claiming
"A claiming race in which one or more horses may be declared ineligible to be claimed by the owner per state regulations."

Bill

I don't think its a good idea to ad your email address
to post
I can delete it if you want me to

Last edited by Bill V.; 01-27-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
papajohn3times
Grade 1

ok Bill delete it,I was just not sure the message would go thru otherwise! Thanks for the reply. I await all of your posts because they are precise and always to the point. I will have more questions in the future and am trying to set up the right(or at least what I think is right for me)to handicap races. My only complaint is that sometimes threads are started and then not finished but I'll take any advice I can get
I have been a Sartin devotee for many years but gave up racing for almost 12 years. I started getting a new intrest about this time last year and wrote to Ted and he has helped me so so much over this year. I look foreword to you,FOR THE LEAD,TED AND RITCHIE P. Hope I can do better soon and with some advice for you and a few others,I should be ok
Thanks again Bill
papajohn3times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
Lt1
Grade 1

Hi papa. The folks on this site are very helpful so feel free to post any questions you may have. Bill is indeed one of the most helpful folks here and his input is top shelf.
Tim G
Old 01-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
For The Lead
Grade 1

What is a WAIVER CLAIMING RACE?

What is a WAIVER CLAIMING RACE?

Waiver claiming races are a fairly new concept in horse racing. The idea is to protect owners who are returning a horse to racing after having been off for an extended period of time. Most times the reason for the extended layoff is due to an injury. With Vet bills, feed bills and training fees, to name a few, this can become a very expensive ordeal for the owner, so laws have been passed to allow such an owner to return his horse to racing without fear of losing the horse through the claim box the very first race back. There are, however, certain criteria the owner must adhere to in order to qualify.

1 – the period of time the horse has been off is the first requirement. “GENERALLY” it must be 6 months (180 days) but this can be different from state to state. As an example, in NY the horse must be off for 180 days, while in PA the requirement is only 120 days.
2 – there is also a regulation in place that would prohibit an owner from dropping his horse down in class and “stealing” a purse. Therefore, in order to qualify, the owner must return his horse to the races at a level equal to or greater than the last race the horse ran in competitively.

Note: even if a horse qualifies, it is not automatically ineligible for a claim. The owner must declare the horse as not eligible to be claimed at the time of entry.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
dogkatcher
Grade 1

Welcome back For the Lead, you've been missed.
Hope all is well, and look forward to your posts.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
shoeless
Grade 1

FTL glad to see you posting as well
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #8
Tim Y
turf historian

akin to the higher class of optional claiming for higher class horses hovering between claiming and allowance rating.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:45 AM   #9
Bill V.
The egg man

Not so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
akin to the higher class of optional claiming for higher class horses hovering between claiming and allowance rating.
No I do not think so, Here is a waiver claimer from a 25000 maiden claimer
The 2nd choice in the betting #10 was not eligible to be claimed

Name:  waiver claimer.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  151.5 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:58 AM   #10
Bill V.
The egg man

300+ days

As per FTL's nice explanation.

The #10 has been off over 300 days It returns to the same 25000 MC