Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Contests ** The Bill Varone Memorial Cup ** > 2022 Bill Varone Memorial Cup
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

2022 Bill Varone Memorial Cup Our annual Contest honouring our website founder and late friend. Four weekend days - May 21/22 & 28/29

Old 05-20-2022, 08:37 PM   #41
Mitch44
Grade 1

My goal this year are contests and the "Monkey " needs to get those darts sharpen so I'm in. Really just working on longshot skills for contests and haven't played much, collecting data and analyzing it however other commitments keep slowing down the process. That and making some money with real bets from this.

Let's have some fun.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:06 PM   #42
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Contestant list closed with 11 entrants:

1. Mr Bill
2. Ted Craven
3. Pook
4. Darryl (darmar)
5. Blake M (mattshan)
6. Mowens (Mike O)
7. CheckMark (Conley E)
8. cdax (Chris D)
9. gandalf380 (Charlie B)
10. Capcondo
11. Mitch44

Prize fund is now 11 x $50 = $550 cash. Plus RDSS prizes.

Good luck to you all,
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:38 PM   #43
stormbringer
Grade 1

I'M IN !

stormbringer
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:42 PM   #44
stormbringer
Grade 1

too late

my life story good luck to all !!

storm
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:44 PM   #45
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Yep, sorry about that but entry deadline was 9 pm east/6 pm west. Yours was received after 7 pm west coast time.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:52 PM   #46
Ted Craven
Grade 1

This is the 2nd Contest in honour of our website founder and dear friend Bill Varone, since his passing in 2020 (May 8).

The only reason we are actually even gathered here, even have this collection of Doc Sartin's wisdom, even have modern RDSS software, and have such a valuable and helpful collection of experienced Sartin methodology practitioners -- is because of the seeds Bill planted in the early 2000' out of his desire to give back to Doc for how Doc helped him overcome not only many handicapping problems, but more importantly - become a better, stronger and more resilient human being.

For those who don't know the story, Bill created a mailing list in the early 2000s named VDC Messenger (after his delivery business), which attracted many old-time methodologists (including yours truly). That list became PaceandCap.com. By various connections between people, Doc found out about this, then Jim Bradshaw connected with Richie P, I connected with Guy Wadsworth, Docs last programmer of Validator then his own Speculator software. These older programs eventually became RDSS. Many people contributed Follow Up journals, manuals, audio tapes and videos, and these came to reside in the Sartin Library here. Bill joined us at many gatherings at Saratoga and Del Mar, even when he shouldn't have when he was too sick near the end.

So - Bill planted a seed which grew to many, many healthy living things. He was always willing to help people learn any of the programs he knew. If you're interested, here are remembrances and photos including Bill: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12925

Bill - wherever you are, whomever you are now - you live on in our memories and many people are grateful for what you contributed to continuing Doc Sartin's work. I'll always remember that and celebrate it while doing my best in this little Contest we've organized in your memory - this year with a record collection of great handicappers!

The first time I met Bill in 2008 at our first meetup in Saratoga!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:31 AM   #47
shoeless
Grade 1

Nice post Ted and picture as well
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:25 PM   #48
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Final number of contestants is 12 not 11 - all prior to deadline

We actually have 12 players going into week 2.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:30 PM   #49
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Participation reminder

In order to be eligible to win each contestant must play 30% of the available races.

So far there have been 22 races, so the chances are that approximately 40 races, give or take, will have been available for players to place bets. This means that at the close of the second day's handicapping this weekend, you must have played at least 12 races.

Just a heads up so you can plan for this weekend.